Heading to Florida

rdickinson

The plan is to head out next Saturday morning from Victoria, south to the LA area then East on I-10. Weather is sketchy at best and I'm not wanting to take unnecessary risks.. The truck is a 1 wheel wonder with no air locking diff, nor snow tires and there is no room to put on chains.

I've considered winterizing the trailer and moteling it 'till I get far enough south to be out of the klag. Staying at a Super 8's with a free early breakfast, load up pockets with boiled eggs, yogurt and muffins to tide me over for the day and hit the road early. It would save stowing cords and everything else.

There are several places to watch out for, Grants Pass being one and there is the Sisques(sp) along the line.

Leaving early gives me a few xtra days to get to Tampa so I can wait out bad WX.

Input would be welcome.

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan is to head out next Saturday morning from Victoria, south to the LA area then East on I-10. Weather is sketchy at best and I'm not wanting to take unnecessary risks.. The truck is a 1 wheel wonder with no air locking diff, nor snow tires and there is no room to put on chains.

I've considered winterizing the trailer and moteling it 'till I get far enough south to be out of the klag. Staying at a Super 8's with a free early breakfast, load up pockets with boiled eggs, yogurt and muffins to tide me over for the day and hit the road early. It would save stowing cords and everything else.

There are several places to watch out for, Grants Pass being one and there is the Sisques(sp) along the line.

Leaving early gives me a few xtra days to get to Tampa so I can wait out bad WX.

Input would be welcome.

Thanks

When do you plan on making it through Houston?

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Lucky to make Portland Saturday if I leave Saturday and average 500 miles a day. That puts me in the Houston area Thursday or Friday. WX plays a major role. May lose a day or 2 .

Slower but less snow potential is the hillbilly Oregonian method of turning off I-5 at Eugene and driving West to Florance crossing the much lower coast range and then winding your way South down curvy Hy 101 ......now sometimes it rains in the winter on the Oregon coast...go figure

Or.......Drive on south of I-5 past Eugene to Winston exit and then drive West to Reedsport on the coast, then South on Hwy 101.....be careful ......last time I drove this route I wound up in a foruun kountry called .....Kalifornia

Drive on.......(rain or....snow)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Cutting back onto I-5 where, depending on weather/road conditions?

Well Roger getting off the coast in N. Cal has many routes but be careful some of them can get kinda twisty.

We usually drive South to Nampa and hang out with friends that own a nice winery and then drive over to I-5 from Nampa...

Here is where my hillbilly advice may in error this morning.......and that is the ODOT road cam shows some road side snow at the S. Oergon 101 border and this is VERY rare.....Brooking is almost always the most moderate weather in Oregon in the winter......go figure.

Maybe a plane ticket to .....Kona?

Drive on.......(Snow at Brookings....rare)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Lucky to make Portland Saturday if I leave Saturday and average 500 miles a day. That puts me in the Houston area Thursday or Friday. WX plays a major role. May lose a day or 2 .

We will see in FL. Enjoy I-10 over the swamp 25 miles of expansion joints, not to bad in a HDT badddddd in a LDT.

2 Great Danes

Roger, we just made the trip down 101. We cut across on highway 20 just south of Willits Ca. Stayed in Nice @ Aurora RV. I WOULD NOT attempt to cross on any roads north of highway 20.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

Road reports in BC , the ones on the radio are not updated regularly, neither is the Canadian weather networks tv road report so I'm less than impressed with our system here. MANY times I've driven from YYC to Victoria, checking in advance the road reports. Canada's TV Weather Network calling for icy sections only to find the whole road bare and dry. Or tune to a Road Reports station in that location and find it hasn't been updated for 3 days and the reported conditions nowhere reflect actual, good or bad.

I took to looking up road cameras at various potential bad locations.

My observations are it takes 3 days after a major WX event for roads to be cleared and dried out so less of a chance of black ice. Also Interstates could be a better choice due to the resources available.

I've driven thru Montana nd Wyoming in Winter in snowy conditions and icy roads. This with my old IH 4700 and have no plans to repeat or come close to that type of situation.

If it means the Coast Road and an xtra day or so, so be it. I'd rather drop an xtra 4-600$ in diesel than risk the Rig.

Did I-10 in December '05, so I know about the expansion joints and yes it was bumpy. Last year was fine going and coming back.

We'll see how this plays out.

Gene, thanks, noted.

Road reports in BC , the ones on the radio are not updated regularly, neither is the Canadian weather networks tv road report so I'm less than impressed with our system here. MANY times I've driven from YYC to Victoria, checking in advance the road reports. Canada's TV Weather Network calling for icy sections only to find the whole road bare and dry. Or tune to a Road Reports station in that location and find it hasn't been updated for 3 days and the reported conditions nowhere reflect actual, good or bad.

I took to looking up road cameras at various potential bad locations.

My observations are it takes 3 days after a major WX event for roads to be cleared and dried out so less of a chance of black ice. Also Interstates could be a better choice due to the resources available.

I've driven thru Montana nd Wyoming in Winter in snowy conditions and icy roads. This with my old IH 4700 and have no plans to repeat or come close to that type of situation.

If it means the Coast Road and an xtra day or so, so be it. I'd rather drop an xtra 4-600$ in diesel than risk the Rig.

Did I-10 in December '05, so I know about the expansion joints and yes it was bumpy. Last year was fine going and coming back.

We'll see how this plays out.

Gene, thanks, noted.

You guys be careful on your trip and look forward to meeting you.

Richard

2 Great Danes

Well Roger getting off the coast in N. Cal has many routes but be careful some of them can get kinda twisty.

We usually drive South to Nampa and hang out with friends that own a nice winery and then drive over to I-5 from Nampa...

Here is where my hillbilly advice may in error this morning.......and that is the ODOT road cam shows some road side snow at the S. Oergon 101 border and this is VERY rare.....Brooking is almost always the most moderate weather in Oregon in the winter......go figure.

Maybe a plane ticket to .....Kona?

Drive on.......(Snow at Brookings....rare)

That must be some mampy, pampy wine you're drinking if it's coming from Nampa, instead of Napa. Maybe your right hand was feeling the effects of the mampy, pampy stuff.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

That must be some mampy, pampy wine you're drinking if it's coming from Nampa, instead of Napa. Maybe your right hand was feeling the effects of the mampy, pampy stuff.

Shucks Hero now ya sound like the Dollymoma......I told her I would go to the store to get some wine for New Years dinner and she said she already had some stashed in the wine cooler......the she said the only whine she wanted was the whining I mutter when I clean out Dolly's the paint horse stall.....

I get know re-spect.....

Drive on .... (I drink some wine then I whine)

Wx is calling for snow here next weekend so I'm considering Ferry options for getting off this rock. All expensive. The Port Angeles Ferry leaves Victoria at 4pm. Gets me onto the other side, pre cleared thru Customs. I can pick up 101 by Olympia which is 2nd worst case scenario. Or if roads are OK, I-5 it. Best take my Gore Tx rain jacket to load up on soup at the Super 8's.

No final decision at the moment.

Roger,

Best to get out of Washington state. Lots of ice here with cold weather predicted until next week. Here HDT or 10k+lb rig caught in pass areas without chains = $10k fine!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Went by today to check on the bed for the truck and it is looking goooood. I want have time to get it painted and get all the little things done before we leave for FL but that's ok I'll work on it when I get back.

2 Great Danes

Hey Roger.... crappy weather here in Florida. Near record highs for the dates - something like 85 here yesterday. Sadly, cooler weather coming by the weekend then maybe more moderate temps. Don't bring that ice and snow with you - sure don't want any of that down here. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Who is doing your bed?

Local welding shop. They were laying the deck today so I'll pick it up Tommorrow. I have a few pics I'll get the wife to photobucket.

2 Great Danes

Roger,

If you cut across on Highway 20 from 101 to I5, let me know. You will go pretty close to our place. We've got room if it works as a stop over area. Have a safe trip.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

So somewhere along the stretch from Redwood Valley to Williams??

This isn't going to be easy, rain on the west Coast and snow currently in the South. I spoke to a Habitat affiliate in Lakeland and Sebring today. One of them told me temps were in the mid 50's.

Fine tuning electronics today, cameras, Lane Departure etc, tonight and tomorrow am. Catching the 4pm Ferry to Port Angeles Sunday. I may be thru your area Tuesday.

Lets see how this plays out. Should know more tomorrow night.

Thanks

Roger

Archived