Western Canada/NW US Roll Call

StubbleJumper

Just wanted to say a quick hello, and ask a few questions. A deal is in the works for the girlfriend and I to obtain an HDT, I am curious as to how many HDT'ers are in my neck of the woods? Which would be just north of Calgary, AB.

Also while you're on the page, wondering if you could give a shout out to some of your favorite campgrounds/spots that you take your HDT to? Any suggestions west of Manitoba and west of the Dakota's as we are starting to think about some places to road trip once the deal is done! Thanks for your time.

Greg's website. Bigstick is in Carstairs, we're in Grande Prairie, few other members are in between us.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We use Calgary for our address but are usually chasing drilling rigs around AB and BC. Though just recently moved out of Dawson Creek and set up in Arizona for the rest of the winter.

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

We spent about 13 days at Waterton National Park on our way back from Vancouver last year. Lots of long sites in the townsite campground. Spectacular views and not nearly as commercial as Banff.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Hey everyone so far! Trust me I've been reading the resource guide and cruise Gregg's site (just a little out of my price range for now, however I am jealous of his product)
I will keep an eye out for Bigstick, Carstairs is close to me.

Barncats- Nice looking set up! Jealous of being in Arizona, as I just looked at the forecast for the next two weeks and the high temps are in the -17C range. Being in oil and gas myself things are slowly starting to roll again. Trican is looking for drivers, as is Ensign. I too just got called back to a mod yard so here is hoping.

Nigel- Thanks for the heads up about the campgrounds around Waterton. It is on the "To Explore List" as I've been but only once, on my two wheeler. I try to avoid Banff for those very reasons.

Best time to go threw north central Washington. Is April and may fruit trees are in full bloom Wenatchee has the apple blossom festival classy chassis parade .Winthrop witch is a western theme town has forty-niners rendezvous .Both have great camp grounds. need to make reservations in advance. Winthrop has the pioneer campground. Owners are very nice and is within walking distance to town . And if your are up to some mountain driving continue up high way 20 and go over north cascades high way if it is open.

Rocky Mountain House during the months that are to hot to be in Arizona.

Too bad we didn't know you hung out in Rocky. We left there in October to go up to Dawson Creek. We actually wintered in RMH last winter.

Riverside rv park is where we park when staying in Rocky.

Mike

2000 W900L KW

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

RickS- Thanks, this website has been great, glad I joined. I too like to hit the Kootenay's. Hoping with the HDT I can push it further west with my bike on the back to do some exploring. Every time I go there is always something I want to do on my next trip.

Asross72 and Shallow Draft- I'm in Airdrie myself

runaway parents- Thank you for the suggestion, the GF and I have been talking and with an HDT our camping will change from straight boondocking to more road trips, which we are OK with. So much to see in our own backyard, never hurts to ask for ideas. Some of the best little campgrounds I've come across was just pulling in to a random campground and it turning out to be awesome. The mountains being so close is one factor of why I am leaning towards the HDT. Having my class one doesn't hurt either.

Too bad we didn't know you hung out in Rocky. We left there in October to go up to Dawson Creek. We actually wintered in RMH last winter.

Riverside rv park is where we park when staying in Rocky.

Mike

I drive by there often, sometimes on the road and sometimes on the river. We live a few miles from Riverside RV park. We left Rocky the end of October for Maricopa, [Opposite direction from Dawson Creek] Just before winter arrived.

Maybe next summer we will connect.

Greg

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Welcome to the forum StubbleJumper. We were just in Airdrie getting a service done on the truck while on route to AZ.

Just an FYI...I wouldn't recommend Glover Intl for getting any work done.

Mike

2000 W900L KW

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

I'll keep that in mind when it comes to Glover. I noticed on your sig that you have a power locker, that's for your diff? If so have you had to use your diff lock much? The truck I am looking at is just an open rear end, and I am thinking a locking diff might come in handy on occasion.

Yes that's for my diff. Have only had to use it a cpl times, but you only have to use it once to be happy you have it.

Could probably get away with just carrying a set of singles (tire chains) which I carry with me also, but much easier and quicker to just hit a switch on the dash :lol:

2000 W900L KW

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

Stubblejumper,

Alot of nice campgrounds in northern Washington state! If you plan to single it up in our part of the world, I would highly suggest a locker.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

You should put the West Coast Rally on your to do list. It will be in June in Caldwell, Idaho. Scott (MrSeas) or I should be starting a new thread with all the information soon.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'm out of NW Calgary for 3 yrs now. A favourite place of mine was and still is Radium Valley Vacation Resort in Radium. 3 hrs ish from YYC. Up over the continental divide which will be no problem then down into Radium.

• 50 amps
  • Sewer at site
  • Gazebos with a deck
  • Free BBQ for use, just clean it when finished
  • Real grass beside pad, not weeds.
  • Pool, Jacuzzi. No kids after 9pm.
  • Pancake breakfast on Sundays 2 or 5 bucks
  • 14k sq ft rec center.
  • Controlled entrance
  • Internet

Full meal deal.

Go back up the road and jump in the hot spring baths for a small fee.

Go South to Windermere on a Sat or Sunday am for massive flea market. Parking for RV's

Go North towards Golden, river rafting unless yore chicken.

Also going North towards Golden, tall poles with cross bars at the top for Eagle nests. This whole area is a massive wetland at the headwaters for the Columbia River.

Book well in advance and walk the pad before you take it. Some are tite turns and there are overhanging roofs from the gazebos to watch out for.

Look them up and I have a bunch of pics from the area.

noteven- Looks like a nice little spot. Would love to do some exploring around that area on the two wheeler.

Roger- Definitely not far from Calgary. Looks pretty busy, but lots to do in the area. Nothing wrong with soaking in the hot springs!

Chad- Will keep an eye out for the thread.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, however with the snow falling it's making the itch to get out that much worse haha

Archived