Keeping gate valve working in the cold.

That sounds like fun.... not. Maybe when things warm up again.....

If it was me I would throw some heat on it, and drain some good hot water..... (shower?) Then dump, close and put a gallon of CHEAP vegetable oil down there? (Try a restaurant supply....)

We used to put veggie oil in the marine toilet to keep things lubed....

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

I too have used vegetable oil in waste tanks to lubricate the valves. Both Thetford and Camco make products for that purpose and I have used both. One says it has coconut oil and the other silicone. There is another solution to sticking valves that I have heard of but never tried. I think that I got this from a column by Mark Nemeth, but am not positive that it was the source.

With the valve closed, in the area immediately adjacent to where the stainless-steel actuating rod comes out of the holding tank valve, bore a 3/16-inch hole through the plastic and into the cavity. Then use a 1/4-inch x 28 thread tap to tap threads into this hole. Screw in a 1/4-inch Zerk fitting until the shoulder of the fitting is snug to the valve body—don’t over-tighten. Pump the cavity full of grease and the theory says you’ll keep the actuating rod freely operational.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Assume when you say that the valve is freezing you mean that you are in cold weather. If that is the case here are my suggestions.

The reason the valve is freezing is because of moisture in and around the valve in cold weather. My suggestion would be to place a heat tape around the valve and duct tape it in place. If you have no access to heat tape I would then suggest a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb cut to fit around the valve.

See you on the road!

Assume when you say that the valve is freezing you mean that you are in cold weather. If that is the case here are my suggestions.

The reason the valve is freezing is because of moisture in and around the valve in cold weather. My suggestion would be to place a heat tape around the valve and duct tape it in place. If you have no access to heat tape I would then suggest a styrofoam cooler with a light bulb cut to fit around the valve.

Yes, I'm already in the cold. I decided to go on a short trip and wanted to open the valve and it was froze shut. My plan was to keep it open and use the small threaded hose cap on the adapter to drain any water that I would run down the drain. I have a small truck camper. I will try to disable and grease it or just leave the valve open in the fall after I last use it. I am planning to go on Xmas trips to NYC every year,so it will be a reoccurring issue every December no doubt.

Several years back I installed an electric dump valve on my grey tank. I also pulled the black valve apart and cleaned both valves replacing the gaskets. I left the black tank valve in "manual mode" to prevent accidental discharge in case I were to hit the wrong button. I used a valve grease made by Dow that was purchased online at Drainmaster.com....I also bought the electric dump valve from them. I do not suggest using a grease fitting with automotive grease on the valves. It will work for a time but petroleum based grease destroys the valve gaskets.

The valves have worked flawlessly. We do use allot of water when dumping/flushing the tanks When the temps drop below freezing I turn on heat tapes to keep things from freezing and breaking the valves.

Brad

Archived