Hionda CRV Toad Light Wiring

oldjohnt

Merry Christmas everyone, just sitting here before Christmas Dinner at our RV park and have a question to which I probably already know the answer but no harm in asking.

The RV rear 7 pole receptacle has the old style 3 wire (Left Turn n Stop, Right Turn n Stop, Tail light) service

The 2010 Honda CRV toad has the later 4 wire (Left, Right, Tail, Brake) system

I want to wire up the toad lights and have explored alternatives such as (A) Wireless Magnetic transmitter type, but afraid they will fail after a year or so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(B) Separate 3 wire 1157 bulbs you install into the plastic rear lenses and run wires up to the RV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,© The 3 to 4 and 4 to 3 solid state adapters with diodes so your RV 3 wire outlet powers the toads 4 wire system

HOWEVER all but the wireless magnetic require running wire from the front to back (to access brake light etc) of the toad which Id like to avoid if at all possible.

QUESTIONS for those familiar with a 2010 Honda CRV

1) If you access the front turn signal left n right wires, do you think that would also cause the rear turn lights to work??

2) Same for front parking lights, would access to those power up the rear tail lights???

3) The hard one, anyone know of a front under the hood access point to power up the rear brake lights. If so I can use a 3 to 4 wire adapter and diodes so the 3 wire RV outlet operates turn and tail and brake lights

Most likely I will run wires front to back (like Ive done for maybe 30 years with toads lol) but not being at home with a shop and lift and ramps etc its harder down here in Florida at an RV park. Yep they make all sorts of connectors and plug n play adapters and converters and diodes etc etc but I still want to avoid front to back wire runs if at all possible

Any Honda owners know of any cheats or short cuts???

John T

John...because I tow 3 different vehicles....for simplicity sake I made up a light bar that fits into the toad's hitch reciever. Then I ran permanent wires on each vehicle from front to back that will both plug into a harness from MH to toad as well as plug into the toad to light bar. It was a bit of work but now I can tow any one of the 3 vehicles very simply by moving the light bar to the current toad.

It also saved me the hassle of messing with the toads' oem lights.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

When we bought our 2010 CR-V I used this type of light socket.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/brake-lamp-socket/dorman-directional-indicator-bulb-socket/228392_0/?_requestid=1690046

I used a hole saw and made the large hole, then I used a small rattail file to cut in the notch so the light would lock into place. It was waterproof and looked like a factory install. I ran wires from front to rear as I did not want to mess with factory wiring.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

The RV rear 7 pole receptacle has the old style 3 wire (Left Turn n Stop, Right Turn n Stop, Tail light) service

The 2010 Honda CRV toad has the later 4 wire (Left, Right, Tail, Brake) system

Do you mean by this that your CR-V has been previously wired to tow and uses the typical, flat, 4 wire plug found on most such vehicles.

41lPq21AGzL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg41t+8dWi8xL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg41Vs8DMPAaL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg

If it is already wired, and you have the typical 7 pin plug on the RV, most likely it has those same 4 wires, plus one for electric brakes and everything found in a standard 7 pin connector, see the picture below. If so you can use an adapter shown in the right picture above and you should be able to connect up and go. If the 4 pin on the CR-V is at the back it was probably to supply a trailer and won't be properly wired to connect the ligts for towing.

qu54012_2_250.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks yall, the REAR of the Honda already has a 4 to 3 wire converter and a 4 way flat receptacle to tow a typical small 3 wire trailer. As I said the Honda like most all newer cars is the 4 wire system (Left, Right, Tail, Brakes) with separate amber turn signals. The RV rear has the 7 pole round female but the RV and that plug like most is for towing 3 wire systems (Left turn and stop, Right turn and stop, Tail)

I just wanted to plug up the 4 wire Honda (to 3 wire RV) so when I tow it the rear lights all work WITHOUT HAVING TO RUN WIRES FRONT TO BACK but I doubt I can do that. There are several plug n play and connector methods available but all of course still requires front to back wire runs. PS those 3 to 4 or 4 to 3 adapters DO NOT work in reverse.............

The wireless transmitter toad lights are the easiest, but I envision the transmitter (plugs into RV rear 7 pole outlet) or the receiver on the lights wont hold up grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272460926332?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again, Any Honda owners know of any cheats or short cuts???

John T

I don't believe that you will make the Honda lights work from your tow vehicle by connecting to the trailer connection it has. Even it you did succeed in making the lights work, it doesn't have blocking diodes so you would them back-feed into the Honda 12V system. There is a kit that is designed to connect your RV to the lights of the Honda, but there is a bit more to it.

Mornin Kirk, yeppers I knew I couldn't connect to the Hondas rear trailer connection (as I noted they don't work in reverse and that still requires hard wiring front to back) and make it work and yep there are all sorts of kits (e trailer, Hitch Source, Hopkins, Curt etc etc) which include the diodes to make it work hard wired, I was just hoping there was a short cut or front under hood access point so I don't have to run wires all the way front to back here in Florida away from my shop and lifts and ramps grrrrrrrrrrrrrr BUT I DONT THINK SUCH IS POSSIBLE so I'm looking at the wireless transmitter type http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (but question their long term dependability) or else just run wires back as Ive done for years and years which works fine (diodes required for 3 to 4 adapters)

Hope you had a nice Christmas, take care

John T

I ran wires back to separate lights at first, later got lazy and used magnetic mount lights on our last one because I really don't like cutting into the CR-V wire harness and prefer to keep the tow lights separate. Lots of folks use the blocking diode kits successfully but the can and do fail at times. I never had any problems from the wire for the magnetic lights but you do have to be careful to avoid grit under the magnetic pads as they can scratch the finish on the car. I really prefer the installing of an extra light socket in the existing tail light assembly, but that also takes a bit of work. There are lots of options in towing lights out there now to consider.

Thanks Kirk, for now at least I think I will go the wireless magnetic transmitter route to tow the Honda back to Indiana, but once home next spring I may run the wires back and install the standard 1157 bulbs drilled/modified into the rear taillight housings (see URL below) IN CASE THE MAGNETIC TRANSMITTER LIGHTS EVER CRAP OUT The kit below has nothing to do with the Honda wiring, its just its own separate lights inserted into the plastic housings which the RV rear plug powers up, pretty straight n simple with no need for diodes or 3 to 4 solid state converters or any such junk

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Honda/CR-V/2010/RM-155.html?vehicleid=20101130044

In the Chevy toad I had 3 wire (RV) to 4 wire (Chevy) solid state converters so the RV powered up all the chevy rear lights, and on back the chevy I had the 4 to 3 converter so I could tow a small 3 wire golf cart trailer and its lights work ALL SYSTEMS WORKED FINE but it was a rats nest of wiring

John T

Will do Kirk, however they will be new when I return to Indiana next April and likely work okay then lol its after I've owned them say 2 or 3 years I envision the transmitter will crap out grrrrrrrrrrrrrr which is why I may go ahead and run wires back once I'm back home and be all ready....................I will let yall know but it may be a year or better from now

John T

I know you said you were not interested in a transmitter but here is a low cost transmitter/receiver. The listing has ended but you might contact the seller and see if he has more. I believe he makes them and sells them on ebay. good luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorhome-Toad-Wireless-Brake-Monitoring-System-gt-BrakeBuddy-ReadyBrake-etc-/262768579114?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=u3omS8dCrXXCs9j3diXNKw%252FWsJw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Motorhome Toad Wireless Brake Monitoring System > BrakeBuddy, ReadyBrake, etc.
Seller information
lowfu (322 )
100% Positive feedback

Item condition:
New
Ended:
Dec 25, 2016 , 8:34PM
Price:
US $38.00

RV Fan, this is the lowest price I found on the same identical wireless magnetic mount tow lights I found so far, same as I posted above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272460926332?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PS My Brake Buddy already has a wireless indicator that plugs into the RV cigarette lighter and lights when the brake buddy is activated and it works fine, however, I can actually feel it working even without having to see the indicator light turn on.

John T

John,

Unless I am missing something, the ebay item I noted is not identical to the one you mentioned. It does not include magnetic lights. The system I noted ties into the brake light of the toad and when the toad brake lights come on (because the brake pedal is depressed) a signal is sent to the towing vehicle dash mounted receiver and light. At $45, it offers a low cost brake light MONITORING system and may be of interest to many. I would copy/paste the details from the ebay listing but unsure about copyright details so if you want to look at it, I think the listing will show up but as an "ended" listing.

Here it is again for others if they don't want to go back in the thread

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorhome-Toad-Wireless-Brake-Monitoring-System-gt-BrakeBuddy-ReadyBrake-etc-/262768579114?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=u3omS8dCrXXCs9j3diXNKw%252FWsJw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thanks RV Fan, you're on track, the e bay item you linked is indeed different then the magnetic mounted transmitter type tow light

method I'm considering for rear lights on the Honda WHICH REQUIRES NO WIRING INTO THE EXISTING HONDA LIGHTS OR WIRES OR CONVERTERS OR DIODES WHATSOEVER so I don't have to run wires front to back. The lights magnetically mount on rear of Honda and they operate wirelessly.

The Brake Buddy auxiliary braking system I use in the Honda already has a remote wireless indicator light that plugs into the motorhomes 12 VDC outlet and anytime the Brake Buddy activates it lights up so I can tell when its operating, but like I said I can feel the braking even if I didn't have that wireless indicator feature on the Brake Buddy

John T

Archived