Need New Carpet - Thoughts/Suggestions?

Kevin H

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Our carpet is getting pretty tired. Time to think about replacing it.

Any suggestions as to carpet brands? Any tips I should look for in an installer - questions to ask, things to point out etc? I know installing in an RV is different than in a S&B.

Lastly, we are going to be in the Demopolis, AL area for a couple months. Any suggestions or experience with sources and installers in the area? We could go to Birmingham, Montgomery, Chattanooga, or anywhere within a couple hunnert miles.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

When we decided to replace our carpet we inquired at a few carpet stores about local installers experienced in RV replacement. We were given a couple of recommendations and found one we liked. He measured for the carpet we needed and we shopped for a carpet we liked. The labor cost was a little more per yard than residential but reasonable. RV's tend to concetrate the traffic and a cheap carpet will wear quickly so we bought a pretty good grade of stain resistant carpet. Some slides require that the carpet be finished by sewing. The installer took it to have this done. We are happy with our replacement.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We did our own carpet renew. My wife picked out the products and I did the install. We chose Home Depot for carpet because they would order carpet with binding for slides and the sections that were bound shipped direct to us the rest picked up at store. We chose Lowe's for Smart Core flooring for galley living room. Project took about 1 month ordering and install. Ernie in Weatherford Tx. is really good for info and he will install engineered wood if you want that done. I had my had doubts wife doubted more but turned out better than I imagined. Bed slide was easier than I thought and dog house (engine cover) much easier than I thought. I bought a good stapler (Roberts) and is up for sale now. Are you volunteering at Foscue .If you are please say hello to Ann, Jason (he is one of the best vol. bosses we had) and Clint a vol. friend just tell them Otmer said hello.We might stop there in March on the way home.

We just re carpeted our 05 DRV. We decided to have Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate do it. He is very good and fair price wise.

We picked out the carpet at a local carpet store and they delivered it to him. We choose Stainmaster Pet proof which is very durable. Glad we did.

We also found it is stocked at Lowes too.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I am a big fan of a quality vinyl, and then we get rugs to warm it, dampen the sound and make it look pretty. With a little puzzling you can do wonders with 2x3, 3x5, 5x7 rugs. And, you can change them out in a jiffy if they get dirty or if you want a fresh look. In fact, when we choose a decor we buy a few extra of the size right by the door/high traffic areas.

I'd upload a picture, but 100kb is pointless.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

We did our own carpet renew. My wife picked out the products and I did the install. We chose Home Depot for carpet because they would order carpet with binding for slides and the sections that were bound shipped direct to us the rest picked up at store. We chose Lowe's for Smart Core flooring for galley living room. Project took about 1 month ordering and install. Ernie in Weatherford Tx. is really good for info and he will install engineered wood if you want that done. I had my had doubts wife doubted more but turned out better than I imagined. Bed slide was easier than I thought and dog house (engine cover) much easier than I thought. I bought a good stapler (Roberts) and is up for sale now. Are you volunteering at Foscue .If you are please say hello to Ann, Jason (he is one of the best vol. bosses we had) and Clint a vol. friend just tell them Otmer said hello.We might stop there in March on the way home.

Thanks for the info, OTT. I've heard of Ernie in Weatherford before. Re: Foscue - Yes. We are going to volunteer from mid Jan to mid-April. Ann is our contact. Seems like a great gal. We stopped there on our way to Asheville, NC ad were quite taken with the city and park. We talked with a Ranger who was filling in for Ann for a couple days. Next thing we knew, Ann called. The result is our returning to work the gate for a few months prior to returning to Yellowstone for the summer. We're pretty excited. As I said, we were quite taken with it. If you come through in March, be sure to look me up!

Thanks everyone. The suggestions for vinyl or wood are intriguing but we have determined that the carpet is best for us. We did our own vinyl in our MH but we spend time in much colder areas than before and our trailer is colder than the MH. So warmer floors are a big issue. (you don't think that we are a few years older now has any impact, do ya??)

Anyway, thanks for the info and if anyone is near Foscue park in Demopolis, AL - stop by.

We're looking at commercial carpet. Particularly because its low pile, durable, and comes is a number of colors plus it isnt going to need to be installed over padding. We have considered LVT, LVP, carpet squares, and plank flooring too. We likely will have an upholsterer that we use add some edging for the slide carpet to give it a finished look.

Marcel

We choose to go with cheaper carpet and just replace it every 2 years. The carpet consist of the 2 slides and upstairs around the bed, a 12X14 carpet remnant will do the job. I can remove the 3 pieces and take them to a carpet store which will cut and bind the slide pieces for usually around $200.

Greg

Archived