Extend a stay installation

Mr&Mrs Duet

I've read through several of the Forum topics on extend a stay installations and have a couple questions.

My current installation has a 25 gallon tank installed between the frame rails, about the middle of the coach. The fill port is in the right rear compartment. The same panel has an electric switch to activate the remote propane shut off valve.

I want to install in that same compartment a line to attach an external tank, as well as a fitting to attach external BBQ grills, etc.

I found this diagram for the extend a stay.

post-12772-0-80472000-1482470680_thumb.jpg

The questions are:

Can I run a permanent line between the fill port on the extend a stay valve and the compartment I want to install it in?

Can I run a permanent line between the remote port on the extend a stay valve and the compartment I want to install it in?

Are flexible lines acceptable to do that?

Will they need to be capped when not in use, or will the valves in the Extend a stay body prevent leaking?

Mostly I want the capability to run a BBQ etc from the coach tank as we are still part timers. I figure since I have to break into the line to install an external receptacle, I might as well do it all at once.

Anything else I should consider?

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Can I run a permanent line between the fill port on the extend a stay valve and the compartment I want to install it in?

Can I run a permanent line between the remote port on the extend a stay valve and the compartment I want to install it in?

Are flexible lines acceptable to do that?

Will they need to be capped when not in use, or will the valves in the Extend a stay body prevent leaking?

Mostly I want the capability to run a BBQ etc from the coach tank as we are still part timers. I figure since I have to break into the line to install an external receptacle, I might as well do it all at once.

Anything else I should consider?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

That depends on the type of extension hoses you're using, but generally speaking.. they would need to be "capped" as the extend-a-stay "body" will not prevent LP flow with a typical hose connected. If it were me, I would just add independent inline shut-offs (is that what you mean by "capped"?) to my extension ends in the compartment you are installing to. Does that make sense?

So.. you install your extend a stay inline of your existing tank and fill port. You run the inlet and output ports of your extend a stay with flexible hosing to the compartment you want and install a shut-off at the connector end.

Lot's of ways you can do that. You might take a look at this website to get different ideas and to see what would work best for your application. I have no idea if they are a good company to deal with.. I just linked it because they have a really wide selection of fittings that might spark some ideas for you and they appear to have pretty fair pricing.

I want to install in that same compartment a line to attach an external tank, as well as a fitting to attach external BBQ grills, etc.

It is important to realize that what you show in the diagram is a fitting to connect an external tank to the inlet to your pressure regulator and supplement the existing tank of the RV. That means that this is a high pressure line and so it can not be used to supply propane to other appliances that don't have their own regulators. To supply low pressure appliances without an extra regulator will require a fitting on the low pressure side of your regulator, which is available.

51sWV67kNTL._AC_US240_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you look under the edge of your rv on the same side as the door, you. Any find a barb queen hookup. It will look like a quick disconnect. We also use ours to connect a external tank to our rv and backdeed through this connection.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived