Dish Service Address

When we travel if it's just for a few days we hook up the 211 and have the antenna adapter for the locals so we leave the service address alone.

When we travel for an extended trip (like Christamas) we take the Hopper from the house and change the service address as we travel.

I have had nothing but trouble by calling and speaking to someone who's first language is not english, last year I tried the chat feature and it worked like a charm and has everytime since so I am committed to the "chat" process.

I had a thought this morning (right before we leave) when is the best time to change your service address? Do you change it before you leave the house with the correct destination information, do you do it in route or do you do it when you get to where your going?

We have for some reason always done it after we get to our destination and are setup, the only downside is it takes a while for the program guide to update. I think I'll try doing it before we leave the house and see if that's better this morning.

I know this is a silly question but I was curious to see which might work best.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Not a silly question. I also use the chat line to change service address. I usually change when we arrive and like you say it takes a little while to update.

To force the DVR to download the new program guide I go to Menu and then go to "System--Installation--Point Dish" That is 6-1-1 on my menu. Once I am on the Point Dish screen I go to Check Switch and then test. Once the test completes, I select Done and then "Cancel" until the DVR goes to "Acquiring Signal". Once the Acquiring Signal completes the DVR then goes to "Download Program Guide". Just unplugging and plugging in the DVR doesn't force the new program guide to download.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We use Chat to change Service Address when we arrive because we check to see if we had moved out of the prior Spot Beam first. We don't care where the Locals come from just as long as we have them.

We try to switch Service Address as soon as possible because the Hopper PTAT programming needs the Electronic Program Guide to be live before the PTAT time by a couple of hours.

For a Hopper, doing a Switch Check does not force an EPG update. The pro is that you don't have to wait if the Hopper is rebooted. The con is that there is no way to force a EPG update.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We have never tried to change the service address. It is hard enough just to get them to send a signal to reactivate a dead receiver. Is the chat feature usable by smart phone, or only by computer?

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We have never tried to change the service address. It is hard enough just to get them to send a signal to reactivate a dead receiver. Is the chat feature usable by smart phone, or only by computer?

I never tried chat via smart phone, but I just tried it by going to www.mydish.com on my smart phone and I can scroll all the way down to the "chat now" section, so the phone should work.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Just unplugging and plugging in the DVR doesn't force the new program guide to download.

It probably depends on which receiver you have, but it's always worked for me. I wait until the new channels appear on the screen, then unplug and plug in the receiver (a 211K, in our case), and once the receiver has done its thing and downloaded the Guide, the programming for the new locals is there.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

It is hard enough just to get them to send a signal to reactivate a dead receiver.

I found out this spring that if you turn the receiver on and then just leave it, it acquires updated programming after a period of time. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that time length is.

When we returned home this past spring, the first thing I did when I walked in the door was to plug in the receiver that we leave at home. Due to circumstances that I won't go into here, we were not able to stay in the house, and didn't return for a week or two. When we returned, I turned on the TV and the receiver in preparation to call Dish to reactivate the receiver. Voila! The receiver was already activated! Does it do it in 24 hours? 48? A week? Don't know.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

With the Hopper 3 we have been able to force the program guide download. We verify the locals have been changed and then turn off the receiver. After about 15-30 minutes we turn it back on and it will show the guide in the process of downloading. Usually we check after 15 minutes and it's downloading, but it can take up to 30 minutes. Just turn it back off. This has always worked for us.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

Yes, Chat works fine from Smart phone or Tablet. But, when doing it by a phone call, be sure to go to the technical support number and not the general customer service number. Tech support does have the ability to initiate a program guide update on a Hopper but it does take some time for it to get it done.

I have also had a consistent problem with them changing my service address but not changing my LOCALS list. Each time I have called back about not having my HD locals, they have found that the previous person had not updated my local location when they updated my general service address.. Go figure.

All in All, it does work like it should but one still has to followup to be sure that everything is there the way it should be.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

The majority of the time, I just copy and paste a prewritten text requesting a service address change into the chat window, and our Hopper updates within a few minutes. Occasionally it takes a second session to get the flag set to update the program guide, and once in awhile they change our billing address along with the service address, but that's easily corrected in our MyDish account. I keep a file of the scripts for the places we return to fairly often, as well as a blank template.

Here's one example script:

Hi,

This account is for my RV, and my SERVICE address has changed.

My billing address has NOT changed.

Please change my SERVICE address only to:

908 East Raccoon Valley Rd
Heiskell, TN 37754

and update my program guide.

Thank you!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The majority of the time, I just copy and paste a prewritten text requesting a service address change into the chat window, and our Hopper updates within a few minutes. Occasionally it takes a second session to get the flag set to update the program guide, and once in awhile they change our billing address along with the service address, but that's easily corrected in our MyDish account. I keep a file of the scripts for the places we return to fairly often, as well as a blank template.

Here's one example script:

Hi,

This account is for my RV, and my SERVICE address has changed.

My billing address has NOT changed.

Please change my SERVICE address only to:

908 East Raccoon Valley Rd

Heiskell, TN 37754

and update my program guide.

Thank you!

I do something similar. I just wish I had a way for the person answering the phone to read and comprehend all of the request. Much of the time it seems they just get to service address change, and have to look up or ask someone what the request means and how to do it.

An interesting side note. Even though my billing address has been changed to Timbuck Two, it doesn't seem to affect the credit card charge. It still goes through even though the billing address is incorrect.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Good news with a twist!

Shortly after posting yesterday morning I contacted Dish through chat and had my service address changed to our "intendened" destination. I checked a little while later at the house and the guide had changed to Lubbock Texas and all was well. We started the final process of loading up the 5r when our daughter called and asked if we wanted to go to the grandsons basketball game in Midland, we said sure.

We decided that it would be better (for the dogs) if we went to Midland and spent the night, so I found a RV Park and made a reservation there. Now the delima do we go back and contact Dish and change the SA to Midland or just leave it on Lubbock, It was easier to just leave it on Lubbock and see if that worked once we got there, which it did.

So I guess one challenge from my experiment is what to do if you don't get to your intended destination?

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

When traveling around the East, we found we could go three-four stops before having to change Locals. In the West, it was two-three stops. We travel about 200 miles a day.

This is the scrip we use for Chat, make sure you have your account number and PIN when starting Chat:

Account: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Pin: nnnn
I am an RVer and have just move to a new location. I need to change my Service Address (only) to 123 Easy Dr, Mission, TX 78572 and have the Locals changed to that location. Leave the Billing Address as it is.

This least year the Locals were enable every time we changed Service Address and the Dish CSR never messed with the Billing Address.

Chat eliminates listening and talking problems on both ends.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We have gone for 3 months out west, moved numerous times without needing to change our local channels. This was in Oregon and Washington. The Portland local channels cover to the far southeast corner of OR, near the NV & ID border, to the tip of the Olympic Peninsula in WA, to almost to Spokane, WA in the northwest corner of WA. We even received the Portland Locals down to about 90 air miles into northwest California, a little ways north of Susanville, CA.

Use this link to determine the coverage for the local channels.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

We live in the DFW area but travel for business and pleasure extensively in Texas and Oklahoma and have noticed the "locals" are good for something over 100 miles but less than 200 miles.

Also about Chat, so far we've used it for about a year or so and we are batting 1000. When we use to call and spoke to someone whatever it was about usually didn't work and required another and sometimes multiple calls.

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

So I guess one challenge from my experiment is what to do if you don't get to your intended destination?

We've changed our service address as often as twice a day with no problems. We always use the chat system instead of calling in.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks for the map. That explains why we only got Standard Definition locals when we switched to Amarillo on our way to Dallas. The western arc satellites for Amarillo only have SD. I wonder why. The eastern arc satellites have HD.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

We live in the DFW area but travel for business and pleasure extensively in Texas and Oklahoma and have noticed the "locals" are good for something over 100 miles but less than 200 miles.

Also about Chat, so far we've used it for about a year or so and we are batting 1000. When we use to call and spoke to someone whatever it was about usually didn't work and required another and sometimes multiple calls.

In reality the local spot beams vary by market. You can't just use a estimate of 100-200 miles.

I have found the maps from Satellite Guys to be quiet accurate, like this one for the Dallas western arc locals. The map shows the HD locals extend over 250 air miles to south of San

Antonio, about 200 miles to north of Oklahoma City and only about 175 miles to the NW.

Conversely, the San Antonio spot beam doesn't come anywhere's near Dallas.

In the northeastern states many of the local spot beams only extend 60-90 miles, because of the closeness of the cities.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I have also had a consistent problem with them changing my service address but not changing my LOCALS list. Each time I have called back about not having my HD locals, they have found that the previous person had not updated my local location when they updated my general service address.. Go figure.

We have had this happen before and had a very helpful tip from a cs rep that actually knew what she was doing. This was over the chat feature, but she suggested asking the rep what city your locals are coming out of after they say the change has been made. If they can't tell you, then they haven't completed the entire process. Since doing this we haven't had any more problems.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I just putrchased a Winegard Pathway X1 and a Solo VIP211k receiver online (Amazon) and all the parts are supposed to arrive by this weekend. I need to setup an account with Dish TV and try to test this new equipment before we go travelling later this spring. I have two questions :

There are a variety of customer service numbers that may be called to set up service : the main Dish number, Winegard has a number, DishFor My RV (a reseller ?) is shows up on Google searches and there must be hundreds of other resellers that offer to set you up. So, who is the best, most knowledgable customer service center (preferrably within the US) to contact?

Once the account is set up, it's obvious from this thread that chat is the way to go with service area changes.

Does Dish have a testing account that can be used to check equipment and operation without having to pay for a full month's service?

Thanx.

Does Dish have a testing account that can be used to check equipment and operation without having to pay for a full month's service?

Thanx.

There is a channel that can be seen without an account. I don't remember which one it is (100? 101?) so, hopefully, someone will let you know the exact channel number.

You'll want to set up your equipment and tune in to this channel and have it on when you call Dish to set up your account.

As for the telephone number, I've always used Dish's main number whenever I've had to call.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I found out this spring that if you turn the receiver on and then just leave it, it acquires updated programming after a period of time. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that time length is.

When we returned home this past spring, the first thing I did when I walked in the door was to plug in the receiver that we leave at home. Due to circumstances that I won't go into here, we were not able to stay in the house, and didn't return for a week or two. When we returned, I turned on the TV and the receiver in preparation to call Dish to reactivate the receiver. Voila! The receiver was already activated! Does it do it in 24 hours? 48? A week? Don't know.

A local dish installer told me yesterday that the system sends the activate signal every night apx 3:00 am, so leaving an inactive receiver plugged in with an aimed antenna attached should do it.

I have dealt with local providers when I can find one and find it is ALWAYS much easier than trying do it by calling Dish directly. But when I can't find a local provider I'll start with Dish. Then I keep a record of who they sent out so I can call the local folks directly in the future.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Hi All -

Well, our new Pathway X1 arrived from Amazon this morning. The first thing I noticed as I was taking it out of the box is that if I tilt to unit from one side to the other I can hear and feel the mechanism moving inside the dome. From the online photos I have seen of an X1 with the dome removed, I'm guessing that what is going on is that the antenna dish is rotating around on its spindle to the lowest gravity point. Is this normal? Shouldn't there be some sort of locking mechanism to keep the dish immobile when it's not in use?

Also, I think I have read other message postings saying that they have hooked up their antenna dishes to their receivers with as much as 100 ft of coax in order to get out from under trees at the camp site. The Winegard manual that came with the X1 says "Maximum cable length should never exceed 50 feet." Has anyone here used more that 50 ft of coax with their X1? Any problems?

Thanx for any info.

Dave

Archived