Update on Big Ugly

txdslshop

Awesome!!! Let me know if you need anything. Have fun!!

Well, the search has been on for a JK to haul, and the right deal has come along on a 4 door. I believe I am going to come out right at 18'3" from cab to pin like yours. Have you tested a 4 door JK on yours, or is it the same length as your liberty? Assuming this jeep is what they say it is, I will be grabbing it up, and tacking in onto the project list. I suppose if I can't build enough ramp to get it on the truck I will end up trading it for a 2 door version!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I spec'd my truck the 23K axle request was no charge but the 23K air suspension was a $337.00 extra charge. If you are looking for a truck to convert there are tandems out there with 46K ratings. This would give you the extra capacity (23K) when removing one axle.

Crap... I missed this post while I was at the shop yesterday and could of looked at my drawings. We were covered up all day. I will do my best to get you some measurements, if you still need them, tomorrow when I return. Jeremy

Thanks! I have been working on tool box design and the bumper hitch right now, so I still have time. This wasn't in the plan, so I have to make another trip to the steel yard to get what I need once I figure out what I need anyway. Really appreciate all the help!

I backed the trailer in a spot for the first time the other night, with an audience of course, because what do old folks in a small town have better to do that watch some dumbass try to make a 90 degree turn into a driveway from a narrow city street in a 75' rig. HAHA! That tail swing is amazing, and I am sure will be even better once I learn to use it better.

Sorry for the delay. It has been one heck of a week or so. Anyways. My ramp puts the bottom of the front tires about 52" off the deck and that puts the tallest point of the hood about 103" above the deck of my bed. My truck is aired down at the moment but it should be around 46 inches when aired up. Putting the top of the jeep a tad under 12' 6" off the ground. I havent made any progress on painting the rack and installing it or I would of gotten you an exact measurement. These are going off my drawings and measuring the rack on the ground. I hope it helps and your bed is looking nice!! Let me know if you need anything. Jeremy

Sorry for the delay. It has been one heck of a week or so. Anyways. My ramp puts the bottom of the front tires about 52" off the deck and that puts the tallest point of the hood about 103" above the deck of my bed. My truck is aired down at the moment but it should be around 46 inches when aired up. Putting the top of the jeep a tad under 12' 6" off the ground. I havent made any progress on painting the rack and installing it or I would of gotten you an exact measurement. These are going off my drawings and measuring the rack on the ground. I hope it helps and your bed is looking nice!! Let me know if you need anything. Jeremy

Thanks, we are working on building boxes now, and toying with the idea of a front wheel lift design rather than a ramp. Mainly my buddy is pushing for the lift, he has ideas for the lock system, and lift, using R&D parts from work (scrap!) and I think it sounds doable, although we can only go so far forward when flat, so I think we may loose valuable inches going that route. It does sound easy as far as loading though!

Well, I am sure there is a more appropriate spot for me to learn to post pics, sorry for the hijack Jeremy, but I think I got it figure out, maybe... All a matter of where I was grabbing my URL from I think?

Anyway, thanks for the info. I was able to find a 4 post and do some measuring for myself of the jeep, and all I can say is, it appears it will be tight enough that I about need to build a ramp and see if its too close for comfort or not. The good part is I stole the Jeep, and I would think it would be fairly easy to trade a 4 door Rubi for a 2 door if worst comes to worst. I already mentioned that though, and the wife is pretty excited about what she got.

I toyed with the idea of using an old 2 post lift and coming up with a way to pull the front tires in the cradle and then just picking up the front. Problem being that I needed the forward movement at the top to really draw the jeep in close to the back wall of the sleeper. And my redneck A/C was also in the way. Then I thought of using the same concept and have the tire cradles move up the ramp and sort of hoist the jeep up to the top. In my mind it all ended up being to compicated and really not worth it to me. "KISS" prevailed on this one for me. So, the ramp works great for my setup. Believe it or not, it is actually super simple to just drive it up and climb our and down the angle iron ramps. Of course, I will be adding a winch to it as time allows for later in life when I am more "Matured" and can't get around as good. LOL

I am in Marquette KS currently.

I keep rooting for the simple ramp as well, and after talking some more tonight that is probably the route we will go.

We are finishing boxes, ramps, lights, etc first, but we will eventually get to the ramp! And of course I am going to need to need to fix the totaled jeep too!

I toyed with the idea of using an old 2 post lift and coming up with a way to pull the front tires in the cradle and then just picking up the front. Problem being that I needed the forward movement at the top to really draw the jeep in close to the back wall of the sleeper. And my redneck A/C was also in the way. Then I thought of using the same concept and have the tire cradles move up the ramp and sort of hoist the jeep up to the top. In my mind it all ended up being to compicated and really not worth it to me. "KISS" prevailed on this one for me. So, the ramp works great for my setup. Believe it or not, it is actually super simple to just drive it up and climb our and down the angle iron ramps. Of course, I will be adding a winch to it as time allows for later in life when I am more "Matured" and can't get around as good. LOL

Try to find a forklift with a bad engine. A guy near me used the fork cylinders to get a lift and tilt on a rig for his jeep. Wasn't hard to do at all since he salvaged the controls , pump, forks and cylinders as well as the hoses. He runs the pump with a PTO from the tranny.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Try to find a forklift with a bad engine. A guy near me used the fork cylinders to get a lift and tilt on a rig for his jeep. Wasn't hard to do at all since he salvaged the controls , pump, forks and cylinders as well as the hoses. He runs the pump with a PTO from the tranny.

We had a similar idea, but that all sounds pretty expensive, just the PTO itself my cost is more than I can get a 12V pump for, which will do the job nicely. The mast would work well, but way heavy vs what is needed, I didn't think about using a tilt cylinder though to move it forward at the top of stroke though. If I was a real engineer I would know how to calculate or draw it all out to see, but my suspicion is if the front bumper was all but touching the cab when you start to lift it, by the time you come up 5 or so feet you aren't loosing a whole lot of forward travel, just let the rear tires roll forward and good to go. I think the ramp is just so much simpler though, that it is probably the only way to go in this case.

Appreciate the idea though, it does bring some more thoughts up, but I think sticking with simple will be the way to go.

Georgia Hybrid is in the right church with used forklift, wrong pew. Look fir a used up electric walkie stacker like you would find in a grocery store, it has the industrial model 12 or 24 volt hydraulics, valves and contacters, a relatively lightweight low profile upright that will fit thru a 6' 8'' door and lift 2K pounds. They should be available for scrap price once the batteries and electronic drive controls either die or become obsolete.

Archived