Yahoo! Breach

Chalkie

Got this in email from Lookout security. If you are, or were, a Yahoo! account holder this should interest you.

Yahoo! has just announced that after investigation by forensic experts, they believe an unauthorized third party stole data of over one billion Yahoo! user accounts in August 2013. This is the second breach announced by Yahoo! in 2016

Yahoo! has announced a breach of over 1 billion user accounts from August 2013 that is believed to be separate and distinct from the reported 500M Yahoo! breached accounts that Yahoo! disclosed in September earlier this year. The compromised user information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords, and potentially even encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. The stolen information did not include passwords in clear text, payment card information, or bank account information. Yahoo! has not been able to identify who the third party thief was, but are working on notifying all potentially affected users with steps to secure their accounts immediately.

Read More
https://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/154479236569/important-security-information-for-yahoo-users

Next Steps:
Users should change passwords, security questions and answers for any other accounts that used the same or similar information as your Yahoo! account. , Affected users should be wary of any suspicious email activity or requests that seek to gain further personal information. , Users should avoid downloading attachments or clicking on links from suspicious email addresses., For more information and security details, please visit: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27925.html?impressions=true

Breach occured on 2013-08-01

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

prob have to contact them to close it. but should change that pw asap. Main prob is that if you had emails from companys like your credit card, elec/gas company ect. the hack also involved personal info , Birthday, answers to secret questions. so that amt of info could be dangerous.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Leaks like this are why you should always use different passwords for each website. I try to avoid giving them information they don't really need.

I also keep track of the secret question for each site and the answer I gave to it. I never give a real answer, First car? Pickle, Born? Stalingrad, Mother's maiden name? Rhubarb.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stanley, thats pretty much what i do. And its the best thing to do. What i tell my clients is , open up word pad, type in password, a strong one. input it into website, then put that txt file on a usb stick. an delete it off pc. Keep the stick next to your pc. When you need to enter it insert c/p an pull out.

My wife had a Yahoo account but has not used for several months. Is there a way to close a Yahoo account? She has deleted the Yahoo app from her ipad and laptop.

Dennis

Go to yahoo.com, sign into your account, then delete your account.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The breach happened 3 years ago. If nothing has happened, I wouldn't worry too much. Just change passwords.

Newt

That is true one happen 3 years ago. But you are behind on the latest one.

But the latest breach was September 22, 2016 the one in 2013 affected 500 million users and the latest, less then 3 months ago 3 Billion.

But don't worry much, unless you had a lot of personal info, contacts, bank account emails from your Bank etc. If so you may want to start to worry.

Just yesterday I got a hacked email that was set up to be from a friend of mine with a yahoo account. It said "Hello my name" with only a link in the message and was signed with his full name.

But the email address from had his usual *****@ but after the @ was not yahoo. I deleted it , and all his other contacts in Yahoo were probably sent the same email.

I emailed him about his hack. But haven't heard back from him. :(

I have a Yahoo email address and changed my password last month and it was different then any password I use on any site. My Yahoo account doesn't have any contacts info and never did or much any true info in my account. As I do have 8 other email address I use at different times. One for all my friends to use, others for banks, web sites forums and others for Ebay, Amazon etc.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The DW wants to close her Yahoo account but has lots of files (letters, devotions etc.) saved in that account that she would like to transfer to her new hotmail account. Is this possible and if so how?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

That is true one happen 3 years ago. But you are behind on the latest one.

But the latest breach was September 22, 2016 the one in 2013 affected 500 million users and the latest, less then 3 months ago 3 Billion.

But don't worry much, unless you had a lot of personal info, contacts, bank account emails from your Bank etc. If so you may want to start to worry.

Just yesterday I got a hacked email that was set up to be from a friend of mine with a yahoo account. It said "Hello my name" with only a link in the message and was signed with his full name.

But the email address from had his usual *****@ but after the @ was not yahoo. I deleted it , and all his other contacts in Yahoo were probably sent the same email.

I emailed him about his hack. But haven't heard back from him. :(

I have a Yahoo email address and changed my password last month and it was different then any password I use on any site. My Yahoo account doesn't have any contacts info and never did or much any true info in my account. As I do have 8 other email address I use at different times. One for all my friends to use, others for banks, web sites forums and others for Ebay, Amazon etc.

Go back and read your linked article again. The breach which was announced on 9/22/16 actually occurred in 2014. The one just announced a few days ago occurred in 2013 and was larger.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The DW wants to close her Yahoo account but has lots of files (letters, devotions etc.) saved in that account that she would like to transfer to her new hotmail account. Is this possible and if so how?

Dennis

Anything saved as an e-mail you can just forward to a new account.

I don't do much with Yahoo but if they are files and not e-mails there should be a download option, all I have is a Yahoo Groups account there and it offers downloads of files the group has uploaded.

You should be able to download attachments to e-mails too, I helped mom save some photos off her account that way a couple years back.

For e-mail bodies copy/paste might work but with 400 plus that is going to get old fast.

Something I do not know if Yahoo offers is POP mail program access, if they do you can use a mail program like Thunderbird to download all your e-mails to your PC at once.

Hopefully a Yahoo expert will have some better info.

Thanks Stan

I have never used Yahoo and tried for years to get the DW not to use it. So now she does not use it but wants to keep her files/emails that she has saved and of course I want the whole account gone/deleted.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

We got tired of the problems with Yahoo and went to gmail accounts. We have had zero problems with gmail. At one point, Yahoo shut down all of our emails accounts because we were "spamming" which we were not as this was a result of the hacking of their system. We, too, got those emails that looked like they were from friends but were nothing more than spam messages.

I suggest one simply google how to shutdown, transfer, etc. as there are specific details from several sources, some with video to guide one. Generally, Yahoo, itself, has no interest in making it easy to leave them.

Cathy

Tough to do here as my son uses a Yahoo mail account. I used a yahoo account for my home page years ago. But since then have not even checked my email account and have never sent even one email through it. I got a giggle about changing my password, and I did. But I keep a yahoo account to sign in with as there is no information about me there. Not even an accurate birthday or name. I also finally got a FaceCrook account and locked it down, I have three friends and tell everyone not to send a friend request because I delete them all. I don't do popularity contests, and have stayed in touch with anyone I wanted to stay in touch with. I use it to log into other websites too as it has zip for info although it does have my real name, as here. So please don't go there as I do not participate. But a hack at either place yields nothing. I also now have Android phones and my Google accounts are under my "real" name, Robert Vincent Roadie. Or RV for short. ;) My eBay is the same as I only use it for PayPal and buying, no sales. However since we are about to move in the next year, to either Colorado or the suburbs of Vancouver where we can get some land like here, we will likely be selling on eBay for the first time as I have a spitload of tools and furniture to sell before we move. The rest will go in estate sales since my wife is in the estate sale biz here. The new house only makes the property more valuable and my next door neighbor gets first refusal rights.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a bit to this thread, and it may not be related, but my wife got an email today on her Gmail account telling her that that Yahoo account had just been changed.

This is interesting on 2 counts. One, she has NEVER had a Yahoo account. Two, she rarely uses her Gmail account and there are likely only a dozen or so entities that have it. My guess it was a phishing email and she just deleted it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

15 yrs ago yahoo was good. best way to keep an email address an didn't matter if you changed your Dial Up Provider. you always had same email address. But like any other Corp. things change an usually for the worst, (unless your a share holder). I have gone onto gmail also but because i have so many contacts, clients stuck with still checking my yahoo acct. but i have always changed pw every few weeks or so

My son calls me old fashioned because I maintain an old actual .com domain and website. I forward all emails sent to RV@mydomain.com to my provider email. I am about to make it my direct email cutting out my provider. They are going to lose me if fiber comes through on the next two months as advertised. I can transition mine and my wife's emails to our respective inboxes.

I am fine with paying my own way and running my own domain for $10 a month or less.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived