Route info Chama, NM to Walsenburg please

harley-dave

I'm planning next summers trip and would like road info for State route 17 from Chama to Antonito, 285 to Alamosa, and 160 into Walsenburg. Big class C towing a trailer and wondered how the road is. I see a couple of switch backs on 17 out of Chama but can't really tell about the climbs and passes. Don't have my western mountain directory yet. Any information would be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Dave

I've only done it in my truck, and that was 10 years ago, but I don't remember that it would have been too much of an issue for a Class C and a trailer...I wouldn't have been concerned taking a large horse trailer up it. Maybe take a look at Google Earth too.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Just out of Chama up to Cumbres Pass is a good pull. The steam train has a little trouble with it, especially if catapellers are crossing the track. They fun a full tour bus in both directions to ferry passengers for the train in both directions between Chama and

Anotonito. It is good road with no overly tight turns but I would be as cognizant about slowing going down grade. I recall there are a couple of places that the buses show pretty good for some curves but I can't pinpoint exactly where. Mostly shouldn't be an issue. I just rode the bus back from Antonito to Chama this Oct.

It's getting so that all questionable drives can be found on YouTube. :) Many are filmed by cycle riders but this one is in a car although it's in fast motion but you can still get an idea. The Mountain Directory states that the summit is about 28 mi south of Antonito. The descent towards Antonito is 4% then 7% next 4 miles. At that point it's winding. The southbound descent is spread out over 9 miles and goes from 7% to 4% to 6%. That said, we've driven it with no issues with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. It's a good road.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We spend 2 months each year in Chama and drive this road quite often. It does have some 7% grades but it very doable in any well tuned vehichle.

I have towed a 17,00lb 5th both directions with a pickup with no problems.

If you come to Chama in July, August or September stop and visit us at Rio Chama RV Park.

The train ride is spectacular.

ShortyO

We spend 2 months each year in Chama and drive this road quite often. It does have some 7% grades but it very doable in any well tuned vehichle.

I have towed a 17,00lb 5th both directions with a pickup with no problems.

If you come to Chama in July, August or September stop and visit us at Rio Chama RV Park.

The train ride is spectacular.

ShortyO

thanks, we're planning the trip but don't know the exact dates we want to be there. We have to work around the Sturgis bike rally since we're headed for south Dakota. those you listed months pretty much cover our trip though. Are you hosting there or just staying for the summer.

Dave

Archived