Mike and Suzan Craven

Off2YNP

Many of you had the great pleasure of meeting this happy and fun couple and their dog Boomer at past HDT Rallies. I am requesting your prayers and warm thoughts for Suzan (Boomer's Mom) who called me to say that Mike (MCraven210) passed away from a heart attack this morning in his home.

The couple lives in Elbert, CO on an air park, where Mike loved flying his plane, taking Suzan and Boomer (who passed earlier this year) on small trips, such as breakfast in Tahoe. A Marine veteran, Mike served for many years as a traffic air controller in Denver, retiring last year and then landed a dream job as a pilot for a private company.

Rick and I visited the Cravens many times on our way to Yellowstone, staying at their home with proper hookups, something Mike was sure to have ready for us on our first visit. We were honored to have sat at their dinning table many times and relish in wonderful conversation. On our last visit with them in May, Mike excitedly showed off their new master closet, which showcased his pilot uniform, hat and pilot "jewelry." He was thrilled to be in the air and looked forward to a long time of doing so.

Suzan and Mike would have celebrated their 25th anniversary in May 2017. As you can imagine, Suzan has experienced a tremendous loss. She asked me to let the HDT community know and that it is okay for you to reach out to her. If you would like to send a note or make a call, please private message me for contact info.

Rick and I are in shock and feel a great deal of loss. We will travel to CO after Christmas to be with Suzan to be there for her.

Mike took us up in his plane one year and this is a shot I took of him before we took off. We will miss Mike dearly.

post-24067-0-60879900-1481483024_thumb.jpg

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

That was a real shocker to hear the news of such a young guy! Our prayers are with Suzan and hope that she feels the Lord's arms wrapping around her at this time.

Just a reminder to love the one you're with, with all your heart.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Holy Shit!!

Mike was way too young for this. I will keep Suzan in my prayers.

Thanks for the notice Alicia.

Godspeed Marine.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

RIP Mike

Suzan- you are both in Alana and mine prayers

And yes Phil and Rocky way too young

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Gail and I were shocked and saddened to hear of Mike's passing. Years ago when Mike was an Air Traffic Controller, we spoke at length about how much he wanted to be an Airline Pilot. Then, when he got his big break with the airlines, how proud he was in starting a new phase of life. Suzan, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Steve & Gail

When I first heard the news, this kept going through my head...

HIGH FLIGHT

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air… .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr -

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

Suzan,

Please know that you are being covered in prayers. May you find peace and comfort during this tremendously difficult time.

We are here for you friend,

Susan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Steve, thank you for sharing. Very heart warming. i thought I'd share a couple of photos with you.

Mike and Suzan at their home May 2014.

1.jpg

The Cravens and Selman's chat at the 2014 HDT Rally happy hour.

2.jpg

A rowdy bunch at the 2014 HDT Rally. Suzan, Mike (in the background), Rick, me, Alana and Susan.

3.jpg

I am RickW’s amazing wife from Wylie, TX. In 2009, we made our first trek to the HDT Rally in KS in an LGT. The next year we arrived in a 2004 Volvo 780 (465hp and 10sp Auto Shift). In 2017, we transitioned into an Entegra Anthem to suit our lifestyle. We have a home and travel as often as we can, mainly to Yellowstone and other National Parks with our cats and dog, Bailey Mae. 

Gone way too soon, My condolences to all.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Very tragic indeed, my heartfelt condolences to the family.

While I never met Mike face to face it is almost certain that we conversed via radio in the +40 years that I regularly utilized Denver ATC services.

Whenever I hear about a newly retired controller passing, I wince and am reminded that service as a controller often exacts a toll that many folks do not realise.

Denver airspace requires a real pro for controller duty with the front range meeting the plains and huge thunder storms and winter weather of legendary scope.

I am certain Mike and I talked....and I assure you he was a pro.

Fly on.....(Godspeed)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We were very sorry to hear about Mike's passing. Our thoughts are with you Suzan.

Brad and Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived