Engine problem

Bruce H

I have a 2006 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8.1-liter GM Vortex V-8. 2 brand new house batteries, chassis battery is 95% charged. 2 weeks ago I started it to bring the slides in. Tonite I wanted to excerise it. Went to start it and only got a click when I turned the key. All lights came on but engine would not turn over. Now, I'm no engine rocket scientist, so could this be a bad starter or cellinode or is there something else I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Do the lights dim when you turn the key on to start? It's possible the battery cables are loose or corroded that attach to the battery or the starter, I would check that first. A less likely cause is the starter going bad, sometimes you can tap on the starter with a small hammer while someone else turns the key.

Greg

Sounds like chassis battery having problems while your coach battery bank is fine. Quick test: turn on headlights and/or radio at dash, then attempt to start. If headlights dim out or radio dies then chassis battery is probable culprit. See if you have and can use a Boost or Aux Start switch to temporarily use the coach battery system to assist.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

. Tonite I wanted to excerise it. Went to start it and only got a click when I turned the key. All lights came on but engine would not turn over. Now, I'm no engine rocket scientist, so could this be a bad starter or cellinode or is there something else I'm forgetting?

Yes, it could be a starter but it probably is a low battery. Phantom loads that drain RV batteries are a very common problem and the reason that so many of them have a battery disconnect to turn off the battery and prevent that kind of discharge. While the battery should not discharge in only two weeks, that is not a rare problem. I suggest that you start by using a digital volt meter to measure battery voltage as it takes far less to power your lights than it does to crank the starter for a big block engine.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, it could be a starter but it probably is a low battery. Phantom loads that drain RV batteries are a very common problem and the reason that so many of them have a battery disconnect to turn off the battery and prevent that kind of discharge. While the battery should not discharge in only two weeks, that is not a rare problem. I suggest that you start by using a digital volt meter to measure battery voltage as it takes far less to power your lights than it does to crank the starter for a big block engine.

The battery disconnect switch isolates the house batteries not chassis. Chassis connect is needed for starting, outside lights, stairs, radio etc. and is not on the disconnect swith.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

The battery disconnect switch isolates the house batteries not chassis. Chassis connect is needed for starting, outside lights, stairs, radio etc. and is not on the disconnect swith.

That just depends upon what you have. There are isolation devices for either one or both. Our previous motorhome had a disconnect from Intellitek that had two controls and two disconnects.

s-l400.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a 2006 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8.1-liter GM Vortex V-8. 2 brand new house batteries, chassis battery is 95% charged. 2 weeks ago I started it to bring the slides in. Tonite I wanted to excerise it. Went to start it and only got a click when I turned the key. All lights came on but engine would not turn over. Now, I'm no engine rocket scientist, so could this be a bad starter or cellinode or is there something else I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Hi Bruce, do you have any feed back on how it turned out.

Greg

We have two, one for house (located by the stairs coming into the coach, and one for chassis, located in the bay with all of the things for the chassis. Should never assume that what is true for one's coach is true for all coaches.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The OP said he heard a "click" when trying to start the motorhome, so that would tell me that the problem is not a battery disconnect switch. My guess would be a bad battery cable connection, or a problem with the solenoid. If it were me, I would get under the motorhome with a big screwdriver and short across the posts on the solenoid.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

The OP said he heard a "click" when trying to start the motorhome, so that would tell me that the problem is not a battery disconnect switch. My guess would be a bad battery cable connection, or a problem with the solenoid. If it were me, I would get under the motorhome with a big screwdriver and short across the posts on the solenoid.

I'm betting on your answer. He MUST make sure the transmission is in park/neutral and park brake is set before using the screwdriver for safety-sake.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Coincidentally, on Sunday when we got ready to leave Yuma where we had been parked for a week, when I went to start the motorhome, I got the "click" sound but no start. I checked the battery voltage and it was ok, so I got out my big screw drive, crawled under the RV and shorted across the posts on the starter, and it started right up. I am guessing I need a new solenoid, as this is the second time this has happened in the last year. I have since stopped and started the engine a few times with no problems, but issues like this seldom fix themselves.

As a side note here is a video on the topic. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30C-Portable-Protector/dp/B003AL23TC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481663488&sr=8-3&keywords=progressive+industries+ems-pt50c+portable+surge+protector+50+amp

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Coincidentally, on Sunday when we got ready to leave Yuma where we had been parked for a week, when I went to start the motorhome, I got the "click" sound but no start. I checked the battery voltage and it was ok, so I got out my big screw drive, crawled under the RV and shorted across the posts on the starter, and it started right up. I am guessing I need a new solenoid, as this is the second time this has happened in the last year. I have since stopped and started the engine a few times with no problems, but issues like this seldom fix themselves.

As a side note here is a video on the topic. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT30C-Portable-Protector/dp/B003AL23TC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481663488&sr=8-3&keywords=progressive+industries+ems-pt50c+portable+surge+protector+50+amp

We had the same . It only gets worse . Make work of replacing that solenoid , unless you don't mind crawling under the rig ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...

We have two, one for house (located by the stairs coming into the coach, and one for chassis, located in the bay with all of the things for the chassis. Should never assume that what is true for one's coach is true for all coaches.

Never saw that, thank you, I stand corrected. Must be used on higher end units NOT in my price range!

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived