Travel trailer with Murphy bed

Greg Schoenberg

I don't have a travel trailer, but my trailer has a murphy style bed, per my request. Would I do it again, probably not. It's not as user friendly as I expected and still takes up room. The unusable space is against the wall, but it's still unusable. The bed creeks and groans with movement and is very low to the floor, compared to a conventional RV bed. I have a Sleep Number mattress in the box so it's comfortable and easy to lift. There are many other styles of convertible beds that I have seen since getting the Murphy style and I wish I would have investigated them further. At some point I may just go with a futon bed in my slide out and will remove the murphy to give me more open space in my living/bedroom.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We bought a Rockwood 2304 DS Ultralight this year. IMHO, it's the largest 25' TT I've ever seen. We went to Colorado for a month this summer. No discomfort at all after downsizing from a 36' 5th wheel. Ours had about $6,000 in options, made it very nice.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

We bought a Rockwood 2304 DS Ultralight this year. IMHO, it's the largest 25' TT I've ever seen. We went to Colorado for a month this summer. No discomfort at all after downsizing from a 36' 5th wheel. Ours had about $6,000 in options, made it very nice.

Newt

Thanks Newt. How well made is your model? What do you haul it with? Have in mind seasonal camping.

-Greg

Forest River is not generally well regarded for their quality. We have been pleasantly surprised. So far, we have only had 2 local days for a checkout and then a month in Colorado. Every thing went well except for the fridge, Dometic. It quit the first day out and then the last day coming back. It has had it's second repair. The first time, the thermal fuse, last time thermal fuse and board. We have not had the opportunity yet to see if it's really fixed. The layout works really well. The Murphy bed makes such a difference. We towed it with a 2016 Ram 1500. It handled very well. In the mountains, it only went to 3rd momentarily, once or twice. It pulls hard in 4th. The Tow Haul and modern electronics make holding speed going downhill very easy.

The dealer installed a Husky Center Line TS WD hitch. It works so much better than the old type WD hitch we used for years. The truck and trailer feel more as a unit.

center-lineTS-product-with-logo-300x202.

http://www.huskytow.com/product/husky-centerline-ts/

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Archived