Self adjusting trailer brakes...

jsymmes

I am considering changing from manual adjustable brakes to self adjusting brakes. Has anyone installed the "Nev-R-Adjust" brakes? If so, who sells the best quality kits and were you pleased with the way they performed?

On our long trips, 7,000+ miles our manual brakes need adjusting.

Joe & Jewel Symmes

2013 Arctic Fox 25W

2007 Silverado CC

Amateur Radio since 1975

I hate say the ones on my 5th wheel dont work. I just adjusted mine a few days ago and on the 3 axles 5 out of the 6 were out of adjustment and not by a little, it took quite a few clicks to get them adjusted.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

My rig came with the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes. At the end of the first year, when I did the wheel bearings, I noticed that two of the brakes were out of adjustment--one was too loose and the other too tight. I adjusted them...this year when I did the bearings all the brakes were just right. I wonder how good they really are--time will tell.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

I replaced the manual adjust brakes on my Dexter axle with self-adjusting from Dexter.

LOVE THEM!!!

Well worth a few extra bucks.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

We had Dexter self adjusters on our first fiver & didn't feel that they worked eithee for adjustment or stopping. Swapped em out for the Dexter elec/hydraulic discs & was the best thing we ever did. Used a P3 controller & could stop on a dime.

Ron

Would also highly recommend a disc conversion. Not cheap but WELL worth it. They are, of course, self adjusting and its much easier to check and/or replace the friction pads. I did my two axle pad replacement in about an hour and a half. They also greatly increase the stopping power.

If you do elect going with the self adjusting brakes, just get the entire backing plate/brake assemblies. Be sure that you get the lefts and rights, and get them installed on the proper ends of the axle. It would also be an excellent idea to get the drums turned, both the brake surface and the magnet armature surface. We are over four years on our rig, and the self adjusting feature works great. Of course, if we finally do go with the Mor Ryde IS, we will definitely go with the disk conversion too.

I got em , but know nuttin about them . In an auto you back up and hit the brakes while going backwards several times to adjust !

Are my TT brakes the same ? I would hate to find and read the manual !

Don't backup to adjust the brakes. They adjust from normal usage.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

• 4 months later...

I hated my self adjusters on my 2016 Jayco 5er. Replaced all with manual adjusters. The auto adjuster locked up 1 wheel on any stop. When i tried to loosen it it became stuck. Went to trailer supply and bought 4 new brake plates and installed.I can adjust them manually every 4-5000 miles or whenever they need.

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Archived