Drain going into Gray Tank Leaking

SWharton

We have a leak whenever we use water. We assume the connection to the gray tank has loosened up but can't figure out how to access it. We have a Winnebago 2015 36Y and have looked at the plumbing schematics which are useless for how to gain access. Any ideas or how to would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not sure about a 2015, and this may not be of any help at all, but in earlier models it's accessible from the two bays behind and in front of the rear passenger tire.

If you open both bay doors you should be able to see the screws that attach the rear tire fender panel. if you remove the screws then the entire tire panel "should" raise up and out of the way on a hinge. You might need to remove the bay door pistons/arms. Prop the fender panel up out of your way and you should then be able to see a metal panel that extends across both bays and the tire well with a number of screws.

If you DON'T see a panel as described.. I would stop there as the location is likely different in a 2015 than I am familiar with.

If you DO...

You want to remove all of the screws and then pry the panel loose with a putty knife. They are generally sealed with some type of flexible adhesive. You might need to get a little aggressive to pry it down enough to use a box cutter or similar to cut through the adhesive sealant. Voila! There's your gray tank... I hope.

A great deal depends upon where the water is showing up. Make sure that it isn't on the supply side. A test to make sure that the problem is in the drains would be to put water into the sink with a large bucket to see if it leaks or run water from the faucet into the bucket. If you can run into the bucket with no leaks but the leak shows with water from the bucket, you know for sure.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Had a problem with mine ONLY when the gray tank was full - even though the gauge said 2/3 full. Gauge obviously not accurate. I found the tank inlet entered the tank via a rubber coupler. Drain line entered one side of coupler and the opposite end was inserted into the tank. No hose clamps, just a tight fit. It leaked at that coupler. Thought about replacing the coupler but, due to clearance issues, decided to just not let the tank get full again.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Had a problem with mine ONLY when the gray tank was full - even though the gauge said 2/3 full. Gauge obviously not accurate. I found the tank inlet entered the tank via a rubber coupler. Drain line entered one side of coupler and the opposite end was inserted into the tank. No hose clamps, just a tight fit. It leaked at that coupler. Thought about replacing the coupler but, due to clearance issues, decided to just not let the tank get full again.

Lenp

Try Rust-oleum LeakSeal spray to seal the connection.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thank Kirk. We had determined it wasn't on the supply side. Wish it was though.

Either way, access is usually the biggest part of what makes it difficult to repair. Is the leak back in the tank area where it could be the entry into the tank? That seems to be one of the most common places for such leaks.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are pretty sure that is where it is based on its drip location and since any water in any drain causes a leak.

Is the Leakseal similar to the infomercial we see on TV? We have been somewhat interested in the infomercial but would never order from an infomercial.

We are pretty sure that is where it is based on its drip location and since any water in any drain causes a leak.

Is the Leakseal similar to the infomercial we see on TV? We have been somewhat interested in the infomercial but would never order from an infomercial.

Yes , similar , but most likely better , given the brand name is on the line .

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...

I took a more serious look at this and have found no way to access the top of the gray tank where the drains go into it. I guess we will need to make an appt. at a repair place, hate to do it but I don't see any choice at this point. If anyone has any other suggestions I am open to them. Thanks for all the support.

Our fifth wheel gray tank started leaking a month ago when it was full. I traced the area where it was leaking and used a saw-zall to cut out a section of the basement floor. I discovered an extended floor screw that had eventually poked a hole through the top of the tank after 8 years. It was a better option than removing the tank which involved cutting 3 pipes with elbows glued to the tank nipples, not easy to refasten.

Greg

If we could do that it would be great but we are a MH and have 4-6" on insulation under the floor before we reach the tank.

I am kind of thinking about cutting out the foam(if I can), tighten everything, spray with the sealer mentioned and put spray foam into the hole. I think I can do that for the K drain but not sure about the lavatory drain.

• 4 weeks later...

We are currently at D&R in Phoenix getting the gray tank repaired. Well, not exactly repaired. The tank shifted and the drain came out of the tank. This is not an easy fix as everything is very tight. Everything is hooked up again and we will be testing in a bit. There is Styrofoam under the tank to support it to the correct height for the drain. The repair guy says there should be 2 pieces of Styrofoam and there is only one. We are out of warranty with our rig but I will pursue with Winnebago.

We have not had any sudden stops or major bumps so I don't know how this shifted. It may be due to not enough support with the missing Styrofoam. Everything is a guess at this point.

Live and learn...............

I took a more serious look at this and have found no way to access the top of the gray tank where the drains go into it. I guess we will need to make an appt. at a repair place, hate to do it but I don't see any choice at this point. If anyone has any other suggestions I am open to them. Thanks for all the support.

I am in the same boat. Have 1 or two leaks - Blackwater and grey (I think). One leaks when using the washing machine ... sometimes. One leaks after flushing the toilet but it has to have a little in it, first. Does not do it if it is empty but does after a day's use.

I worked the knife valve in and out a bit and it seemed to help... a lot. I am suspicious it is a damaged valve, probably a screwed up gasket on the blade. Might have gotten damaged in 2013 when we were in Fallon, NV at Amazon job. Got down to -19f and might have frozen to the gasket.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I'm not sure but I think you can replace the gasket and valve in the toilet.

Our leak started small, when DW washed dishes we noticed some water outside and an outside cubbie was wet. Nothing much so we didn't pay much attention, figured we would work on it when we settled in our winter cg. Then after a trip it became worse and started smelling. Made an appt. at D&R Family Repair(we have used them before for solar and propane work), slow time so they scheduled us in. They asked us to be there early(we were an hour away and had to deal with rush hour traffic). We showed up at 8 AM and they got right to work. The leak(now a flood) was diagnosed but it was a tough one to repair. Tank had to be shifted back, drain pipe had to be reinserted and then sewer vent had to be inserted. This all took a lot of time since there was no access to the top of the tank and the pipes didn't have much flex. Essentially they had to nudge the tank until everything fell into place. Finally it was done plus a few other odds and ends(might as well get everything done). We were heading back to camp by 2 PM. Just a one day jaunt.

Archived