International 4700 Air pressure

Mikele

Any idea on how to raise the pressure in the tank? It Currently caps out about 110psi. I'd like to get it to 120/125psi. There is a regulator on the tank, in between it and the rear bags, but it is not adjustable. Is there another way to increase pressure?

Pressure is set by the pump, up on the side of the engine. If it is below 120 then your pump may need adjusted. I don't have my IH shop manuals any longer so I can't help there.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I have a 2001 4700. Never paid much attention to max pressure. I will check it out as I need to run it a bit. Mine has a Stalick bed and bought from an SKP. Considering propane injection as we are remodeling a Newmar KA which has a hefty weight but not beyond what the IH can handle. Although mine has the 530 engine and 6 speed, I find more of them running the robust and dependable 444 or 466.

I'll let you know what the truck does and I have the original books etc, so I can check to see if that adjustment is mentioned in there.

Marcel

I have a 2001 4700. Never paid much attention to max pressure. I will check it out as I need to run it a bit. Mine has a Stalick bed and bought from an SKP. Considering propane injection as we are remodeling a Newmar KA which has a hefty weight but not beyond what the IH can handle. Although mine has the 530 engine and 6 speed, I find more of them running the robust and dependable 444 or 466.

I'll let you know what the truck does and I have the original books etc, so I can check to see if that adjustment is mentioned in there.

Thanks....I have the 466 with the 6+1 manual. It does OK. I'd like more gears and more power but I'm like that with everything I own

Pressure is set by the pump, up on the side of the engine. If it is below 120 then your pump may need adjusted. I don't have my IH shop manuals any longer so I can't help there.

That's what thought, I juyjuyst can't find out how to adjust. There is a valve on it, with a knob, but nothing happens when I turned it.

The 466 and 530 are very similar engines, a few parts changes and the lager displacement being most of the difference. The 444 is what the 7.2 Ford Powerstroke v8 was built from and is a very good engine (much better than the Ford version) but lacking in HP and torque to move a 12,000 pound truck and big fiver for most folks. The 466 is low enough on power that you usually couldn't get the factory to enable 6th gear unless you specified one at the high power rating and picked a fairly low rear gear. The 530 started at 275/800 and with all six gears enabled from the factory.

What can bite you on any of these engines is that many of them have aluminum pistons, not an issue at stock power levels and a good bit quieter that the two piece steel topped ones. As you got to the higher power, 300/860(?) and above 530 the factory switched all of them to the steel topped pistons as the higher power would burn through the aluminum ones at full throttle for long periods of time. Boosting the Aluminum 466 or 530 you need to watch your EGT like a hawk, very little margin for error, steel ones are a bit more tolerant but still care is needed. I'm not up on the IH version of the 444 or the replacement for the 530 but I'd expect the same situation.

I know several folks that boosted the aluminum piston engines, some with propane and some with chip tuners and all were happy. None of them were pushing the limits and drove carefully at max power so if you do the same I'd expect no issues.

OK. Figured it out. The govenernor (regulator) is mounted on the rear of the compressor. On the bottobn side is black plastic cap. Unscrew it all the way off. Then you will we a stud and jam but. Losen the but and back the screw out to raise the pressure, turn it in to lower the pressure. 1 full turn changed the pressure about 10psi. I'm now sitting at 130 psi which is great. Operating spec is 115-135psi.

OK. Figured it out. The govenernor (regulator) is mounted on the rear of the compressor. On the bottobn side is black plastic cap. Unscrew it all the way off. Then you will we a stud and jam but. Losen the but and back the screw out to raise the pressure, turn it in to lower the pressure. 1 full turn changed the pressure about 10psi. I'm now sitting at 130 psi which is great. Operating spec is 115-135psi.

Thanks for sharing. Now I dont have to muttle through the stack of books.

Marcel

I want to turn mine up for more HP. I have 195 in a '93 4900 with a 10 speed and I've called everyone I could about getting it to 300 hp. No luck in this area but I don't see it being that big a deal. Pickups are making stupid hp now so why couldn't a 466. I know they had some making 250 and 270, so not that much more. Hypermax will sell you a setup to make up to 1000hp but not 300hp.

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

I want to turn mine up for more HP. I have 195 in a '93 4900 with a 10 speed and I've called everyone I could about getting it to 300 hp. No luck in this area but I don't see it being that big a deal. Pickups are making stupid hp now so why couldn't a 466. I know they had some making 250 and 270, so not that much more. Hypermax will sell you a setup to make up to 1000hp but not 300hp.

I've been researching the same thing, only wanting to boost my 530 from 300HP. I guess I am spoiled by my Duramax with a BIG turbo making lots of power. Although I have to say that the IH does pretty well considering what I am hauling. I'm just a "MORE POWER" kinda guy.

Marcel

It has been years since I looked at this so my info may be a bit dated.

On turning up a 466, as I mentioned above the aluminum pistons were the big issue. Other limits were apparently the injectors and turbo when going for a "more diesel" approach. Folks that tried propane did get more power but at the expense of a more fragile engine that required careful watching in high power situations. I don't recall anyone with an electronic 466 trying other boost methods but a few of the older mechanical ones got tweaks to the injector pump, not sure if anyone is still doing pump work like that today.

I've been researching the same thing, only wanting to boost my 530 from 300HP. I guess I am spoiled by my Duramax with a BIG turbo making lots of power. Although I have to say that the IH does pretty well considering what I am hauling. I'm just a "MORE POWER" kinda guy.

I believe the 530 - 300 has the two piece steel topped pistons, the 530 - 275 didn't, check your build sheet to be sure. I don't think the factory will turn it up past 325 but you should be able to get them to authorize that if your dealer will work with you. Non-factory boost options are pretty much the same as the 466 except you have a bit more potential because of the more heat resistant pistons.

The IH engine line was never intended for high performance and most owners aren't interested in boosting so there is little available, either knowledge or parts, to help you go that direction.

Truly, there arent many available options for those IH motors. They are pretty bullet proof and go alot of miles and the fact that there isnt much need for more power, leaves a void in the demand area. That being said, leaving things that work well enough alone, sometimes is the best available option for longevity and reliability. Unlike the Duramax, which has plenty of stuff available to upgrade them, IH is not in the same category.

Since I am still working and still using the dreaded "schedule", I need to work on getting there when I get there. I look forward to that day, but I am doing better than I used to in that arena.

Marcel

Being a HP junkie and a mechanic by trade, I've hopped up everything I've owned. When I first bought this truck, I was a little disappointed by its lack of power. 230/600 backed by a 6+1. It does OK on flat ground, but it's a dog in the hills. I've added a tuner,(waste of money), and straight piped it. And that's about all I'm going to do to it. If/when I wear it out I may do something different for power, but for now I just remind myself why I bought it...Longevity, and the ability to stop. I didn't buy it to drive around town and try to impress folks, I didn't buy it to race or sled pull, I bought to pull a 17,000 lb 5 th wheel that we live in full time.

• 3 months later...

How about water injection? Any thoughts or reports on how that works out for more umph?

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

On 3/29/2017 at 10:01 PM, trimster said:

How about water injection? Any thoughts or reports on how that works out for more umph?

Not knowledgable about water injection, but have done a fair amount of research into propane injection.  Henry wrote an article in SKP magazine years ago that taught me alot.  Although while the LP gives the motor the boost it needs under certain conditions (uphill and heavy loads) it isnt to be used all the time, so most systems have switches to turn the system on and off as required by the driver.

I remember seeing water injection used mostly for emissions in gas motors back when smog controls were being introduced.  The addition of water was a way of controlling the emissions by improving the burn.  Dont remember all the details, but not sure it did much for the performance.  I do remember some alcohol being introduced into those units for performance though.

Marcel

On 3/30/2017 at 1:01 AM, trimster said:

I'm going to try this. A friend did this to his 3126 Cat motor and he picked up a gear on the big hills around here. Boost jumps up 2-3 lbs as soon as it comes on.

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

Good video on what this does and how it works: 

http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html  DIY if you have the time.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/water-methanol-injection-systems/water-methanol-injection-kit-for-turbo-diesel-engines

This one is very good as it adjusts the input/spray as the RPMs and load go up. Most are stepped. A certain amount at the start and then is hard switches to a higher volume mid point as the engine is running up. I like this one personally and will be ordering it later this summer.

http://shop.bankspower.com/c-51-products-water-methanol-injection.html

http://shop.bankspower.com/i-453-45003-double-shot-water-methanol-injection-system-high-volume-universal-application.html?ref=category:55

You can look on YouTube on how to save lots of money by blending your own Methanol + Water mix.

Enjoy.

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Bob...  I am going to need time to go through all of what you have posted but at first blush ..it looks really interesting.

I went into Cat a couple years ago and asked what it would cost to push my mill up to 330..the max for a 3126b..  the price shocked me.  Not sure if I am sold on chips or after market stuff sold by banks, etc..  I do not need extra power but having it never hurts. 

Thank - you.

Ian.

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Archived