Diamond Shield Removal/Replacement

egaloyr

I have begun to notice mold under the Diamond Shield on the front of my Class A motorhome. Removal and cleaning or painting is one option, but that leaves the paint unprotected. Doing this and replacing Diamond Shield another. I'm told that either option is expensive, ranging from about $500 and frequently as much as $3,500, exclusive of paint or repair. As doing nothing and allowing the problem to get worse could seriously affect resale value, I'm even considering a trade-up to a newer coach. I'd appreciate your suggestions and experience.

I will never again put this kind of "protection" on a vehicle I own unlesss I plan to sell it before 5 years pass. And I would be hesitant to buy one that already has it.

In your situation, I would remove it and see what you have. I removed the 3m vinyl from the front of my coach after 7-8 years. There was no mold under it, but it was badly cracked and scarred. There was no paint damage from removing the vinyl except for some clearcoat lost in one area. I could have had the clearcoat repaired, but drove it like that for 3-4 years before having the front repainted along with a headlight conversion job that required half of it to be repainted anyway.

The film gave some protection, but still had some nicks from larger rocks. My feeling is that it was no at all worth the expense of having it put on, and then the hassle of removing it.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We are actually considering having our front end coated with a spray on bed liner type material. My brother just had his dually fenders and front bumber done. If done correctly with the right product it is so amazing. It can be sprayed so fine that I didn't realize what had been done until I touched it. It can be tinted any color you need. It is of course flat not shiny.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

We are actually considering having our front end coated with a spray on bed liner type material. My brother just had his dually fenders and front bumber done. If done correctly with the right product it is so amazing. It can be sprayed so fine that I didn't realize what had been done until I touched it. It can be tinted any color you need. It is of course flat not shiny.

I also have considered this ... my front has three colors on it.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Our Diamond Shield held up perfectly for 8 years. It look new when we sold. We kept 303 on it.

In reading about problems with this product on other forums it seems that the majority of issues are folks living in the humid states. We traveled gravel roads quite often as we enjoy boondocking on BLM and forest lands. We also spent a summer in Alaska driving through many areas of construction and the semis would pass by fast, throwing debris. We honestly had no dings in the Diamond Shield. We would use it again.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I also have considered this ... my front has three colors on it.

We have three also but have the paint codes from Monaco so we are good to go. Will also probably do the mirrors as well as they are beginning to flake slightly and it's cheaper than having them recipes

It's next summers project

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

The previous owner of my coach had the front covered with colored bed liner. They sprayed on the original colors which are white and gold. It looks very good....some people thought it was factory. Its is rock proof and cleans up very well.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 6 months later...

What is amazing is that they are still putting this garbage on new coaches. Why? Diamond Shield is supposed to protect your coach not damage it.  I have mold and mildew on my 2011 Tiffin... Talked with DIamond Shield and its $1200 -$2000 to remove and replace R THEY CRAZY!!!  Good business plan if they can pull it off guaranteed to have repeat (but mad) customers.....

I'd rather have the cap repainted when the time comes .... I know this the real damage came from the mold and mildew from the Diamond Shield not stones dings or branches....  

Best part is their website where they sell you the tools and chemicals to remove a product that now is supposed to have a life time warranty... what a bunch of scum bags.... 

We had the clear plastic Diamond Shield installed on the front bottom under the fifth wheel overhang 5 years ago during a full body paint job.  No mold or discoloration but rocks still chipped the paint and scratched the plastic.  We had the painter remove it last month and replace with a painted textured coating along with a few more touch up things.  The entire touch up work was $750.     Greg    

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Archived