How many have had Trouble from being overlength?

les_garten

When you pass a sigh in motion site, they already have your stats imcluding your length and height. If they wanted to fine you they would come after you and pull you over.

True enough. But you are under the commercial lengths, and there is a lot of confusion as to what you are. Go into the scale and you increase the odds of them pulling you. You are not likely to be chased down when the see you are an RV.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

What's your length?

64' The border is really more interested in ownership and immigration. Never had any questions on HDT or MH reg, length etc. they are not really vehicle enforcement oriented.

A few times they wonder how we afford such an expensive rig. Ha. I just tell them this ol 17 year truck.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The TX case was overlength with truck/trailer. The case was dropped prior to a hearing. No fine paid.

And I just heard that they are taking all the credit for that. Wow, I get the blame for them getting it and then they take the credit for getting rid of it. Oh well, I have been ignored by better people I suppose....but none that make deviled eggs like hers.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

And I just heard that they are taking all the credit for that. Wow, I get the blame for them getting it and then they take the credit for getting rid of it. Oh well, I have been ignored by better people I suppose....but none that make deviled eggs like hers.

I am likely a expert at being ignored....and that's fine I likely deserve being ignored....but.....great deviled eggs are one of the few life rewards that are priceless....Dr Pepper and Deviled Eggs, who cares how long a RV is today.....

Drive on....(Deviled Eggs....don't tell your Cardiologist)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 2 months later...

5er Where are those Deviled Eggs? I'll have water with a trace? of Makers Mark! I guess I'm only 2 months behind on reading this post. Sorry I don't get on the 5er site that much. Am I forgiven? Pat

The Old Sailor

• 4 weeks later...

Well, back when I was driving (a while ago) MD had only one tunnel, Harbor Tunnel. When you stopped to pay the toll, 2 DOT guys would run out with a tape & measure you. If ONE crummy bolt head on the front bumper was over limit, you'd get a fine. If I was over, I'd stop & slide the trailer fwd & just not make any turns till I stretched back out later.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

We are 65' overall and have driven though most of the states mentioned including NJ and NY without a problem. Though the authorities might not be good estimating overall length they excel at counting axles and miles driven on their roads. I paid $120 in tolls (includes Washington Bridge) crossing these two states. Have only crossed in and out of Canada with this rig via British Columbia to date and never had an issue.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Good to know, already figured I needed to be careful in certain parts of Texas...

Most LEO's don't bother private citizens for something like length, unless you get pulled over for another offense and become offensive or make them mad. Now if you are commercial, then the DOT will pay close attention to your length (or any other violations) and it can mean big fines for the driver.

Greg

Phil, I can make pretty good deviled eggs. Should I surprise you??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

LOL sure ya can Jack. I'm always up for good deviled eggs. :) You gonna make the pre-rally in Kansas this year? I am planning on it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 7 months later...

A fine is okay, but what does insurance say about this if there is an incident?  Are you covered if over length?  Or does it go back to the province or state you are insured in?

Todd

2003 Newmar Mountainaire Class A Gasser

2005 Jeep Unlimited

Dream would be a HDT carrying a Can Am Spyder

Ozzy

We are a little over length. Yesterday towing leo pulls up side me and tots horn. I look over and big thumbs up with large grin. I blow air horn. We go our ways. Never problem yet

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, Red Dawg said:

A fine is okay, but what does insurance say about this if there is an incident?  Are you covered if over length?  Or does it go back to the province or state you are insured in?

Todd

Chances are IF you are grossly negligent there may be an issue with your insurance. Even with the negligence, they would pay. If you get in a crash while drunk you are negligent, but your insurance will cover you at that point. Maybe not after, but will then. Far as the length, your home state or province has nothing to do with where you get caught UNLESS it is in your home state or province.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

3 hours ago, Red Dawg said:

Todd

Hi Todd - only your driver license class and endorsements from your home state or province have reciprocity in USA and Canada. Local weight and dimension regs apply where you are at.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived