How many have had Trouble from being overlength?

les_garten

Very few have had a problem. For those that got caught, it can be a hassle, not counting the ticket..

Most highway LEO are more familiar with commercial regulations than RV.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

since it seems that there are a lot of people who are over length,

Where do/did you get any info about a lot of people being over length?

Most states' length limit is 65'. Some are longer and a few are shorter. Unless someone is pulling a 5er with an HDT or double towing, they are hard pressed to be over 65'. I use a long bed crew cab dually and my coach is ~42. I am about 58' overall.

Penalties for over length vary by state. IIRC, in Fla fines start at $200 for anything over 65' and fines increase per foot or part of foot.

Where do/did you get any info about a lot of people being over length?

Most states' length limit is 65'. Some are longer and a few are shorter. Unless someone is pulling a 5er with an HDT or double towing, they are hard pressed to be over 65'. I use a long bed crew cab dually and my coach is ~42. I am about 58' overall.

Penalties for over length vary by state. IIRC, in Fla fines start at $200 for anything over 65' and fines increase per foot or part of foot.

I should have stated HDT. But if you watch RVHaulers videos, Gregg says 90% of his customers are overlength.

If you have a Volvo, Smart Car and pretty much any Trailer, you are over 65'

So since that's what I am interested in getting, I'm curious how many have gotten into trouble and how big the trouble was.

Florida Trailer length alone is 40'

I've already figured out I'll have to re domicile from FL to SD

At least the sales tax will be cheaper.

<<Les Garten>>

Don't know how many have been stopped. No heard of any on here. Maybe though.

We have Volvo 770 with Smart loaded and 38' fiver. Total length 64'

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

We passed through Maryland, bypassing the open scales. We did get some looks but no stops. It is obvious we are overlength just by looking. We travel through California every year with no problems. That is the state most are afraid of.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I traveled about 5000 miles this summer from CA to TX, up to SD and back around to CA. I did it with the HDT pulling a 37' 5" fiver and double towing my Jeep. I passed many highway patrol, state troopers and other LEOs, as well as scales. I know I am over length, but I never got a second look from any of them. If it happens, I will deal with the consequences. One of the reasons I chose to double tow is that I can separate the Jeep and have my wife drive it if it comes down to it. I am under 65' with just the HDT and trailer. I can go up to a 42' trailer with my truck and still be just under 65'. I will not double tow in states that don't allow it, but I will take my chances fudging the length laws.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

...I was thinking New Jersey. Combined length, 50'...

From NJ 39A:DW-2. Dimensional restrictions:

"...Vehicle" includes commercial motor vehicles, trucks, truck tractors, tractors, road tractors, recreation vehicles, or omnibuses. The term as used in this chapter includes a combination of vehicles as well as the load or contents of any part or portion thereof. The dimensional limits in this chapter apply to a vehicle located or operated on a public highway or public or quasi-public property in this State...Length shall not exceed 40 feet, but the length shall not exceed 50 feet when transporting poles, pilings, structural units or other items which cannot be dismembered, dismantled or divided. When a vehicle is the drawing unit of a combination, the length of the combination shall not exceed 62 feet..."

From NJ 39A:DW-2. Dimensional restrictions:

"...Vehicle" includes commercial motor vehicles, trucks, truck tractors, tractors, road tractors, recreation vehicles, or omnibuses. The term as used in this chapter includes a combination of vehicles as well as the load or contents of any part or portion thereof. The dimensional limits in this chapter apply to a vehicle located or operated on a public highway or public or quasi-public property in this State...Length shall not exceed 40 feet, but the length shall not exceed 50 feet when transporting poles, pilings, structural units or other items which cannot be dismembered, dismantled or divided. When a vehicle is the drawing unit of a combination, the length of the combination shall not exceed 62 feet..."

So this is incorrect ?

New Jersey

Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8' (8'6" on certain federal highway systems); Trailer length, 40'; Motorhome length, 40'; Combined length, 50'. Triple towing in not allowed.

Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch, flares or reflective signs. Weight of trailer requiring brakes 3,000 pounds.

Passengers may ride in fifth wheels or pickup campers, but not in travel trailers. Wipers/Lights on in weather conditions that require them. Overnight parking is "as posted" in state rest areas.

On the New Jersey Garden State Parkway there is a 55' maximum length. For the New Jersey Turnpike or other roads call 908-247-0900 for specific towing regulations.

http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.html

So if this published info is incorrect...do tyou have to go it each state's web site to get the correct info ??

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

So this is incorrect ?

New Jersey

Size Limitations: Height, 13'6"; Width, 8' (8'6" on certain federal highway systems); Trailer length, 40'; Motorhome length, 40'; Combined length, 50'. Triple towing in not allowed.

Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch, flares or reflective signs. Weight of trailer requiring brakes 3,000 pounds.

Passengers may ride in fifth wheels or pickup campers, but not in travel trailers. Wipers/Lights on in weather conditions that require them. Overnight parking is "as posted" in state rest areas.

On the New Jersey Garden State Parkway there is a 55' maximum length. For the New Jersey Turnpike or other roads call 908-247-0900 for specific towing regulations.

http://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.html

So if this published info is incorrect...do tyou have to go it each state's web site to get the correct info ??

Believe what ever you want! I would place my trust in the actual state statutes/regulations (which is what I linked to) not some internet wizard. But then if it is on the internet it must be true!!

Florida Trailer length alone is 40'

I've already figured out I'll have to re domicile from FL to SD

At least the sales tax will be cheaper.

Where did you find Fla's trailer length limit is 40'?

You would likely have to change domicile from Fla to SD or TX if you want to use an HDT. I went thru that goat rope several months ago. Could not find Fla insurance to cover an HDT as a private truck.

I was wrong when I stated the Fla over length penalty. It is actually pretty cheap. Over width is not as cheap. I have found nothing that states a overage violation is a moving violation, so no points on a license.

From 316.516;

(4) Notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, penalties for violation of the maximum limits for width, height, and length provided for in s. 316.515 are as follows:

(a) Two hundred and fifty dollars per foot of violation or any portion thereof for width and height limit violations.
(b)1. Forty dollars for length limit violations not exceeding 2 feet over the length limit;
2. One hundred dollars for length limit violations of greater than 2 feet but not exceeding 10 feet over the length limit; or
3. Two hundred and fifty dollars for length limit violations of greater than 10 feet, plus $250 for every additional foot or any portion thereof that exceeds 11 feet over the length limit.
© No individual penalty issued under the provisions of this subsection shall exceed $1,000 for each width, height, or length violation.

From what I understand, in Florida, if you are fined, they can't fine you again for the same load. I don't know the duration it is good for. This came from a video I watched from the Florida hp working a scale. He said that they are caught coming into the state and then they don't have to worry about it again for their load.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I don't worry about it any and if I get caught, will pay the penalty and considerate part of the cost of doing what I want. By the way, if asked, I am 64 feet and 48 inches long.

Can I barrow your tape measure!

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I know of four people since 2002 that have been caught for overlength. Two in KS, one in TX, one in FL. All with HDTs, since that is all I monitor.

The one KS case was double towing. They got a fine - not excessive, but I don't recall exactly - in the $200-300 area. They went on their way.

The second KS case was truck/trailer. Fine. Paid the fine and went on their way.

The TX case was overlength with truck/trailer. The case was dropped prior to a hearing. No fine paid.

The FL case was truck/trailer. Paid the fine and went on their way.

None of the four above had any other issues with it.

I towed double all across the South, West and midwest as a fulltimer for over 8 years. From 78'-84'. I never had an issue. I've towed overlength with an HDT Since 2003 and never had an issue. That is hundreds of thousands of miles.

You CAN have an issue, but it is unlikely. If you do, you pay your fine and get on with life. One day that may all change, but that is the way it has been. My advice is to avoid scales at all costs. Rolling a scale shows your length. Granted the scales are used to commercial (and you would not be overlength commercially), but you are just begging for an issue going into a scale. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I will add one more to Jack's list...

1 Michigan - They were double towing a SUV. No fine. They were asked to disconnect the car and they were on their way through the state.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I will add one more to Jack's list...

1 Michigan - They were double towing a SUV. No fine. They were asked to disconnect the car and they were on their way through the state.

Missed that one...surprisingly, since I know them so well....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived