For Diabetes, Three 10-Minute After-Meal Walks Likely Beat One 30-Min. Daily Walk

For Diabetes, Three 10-Minute After-Meal Walks Likely Beat One 30-min. Daily Walk

© 2016, David Leonard, Educational Program Coordinator (retired), Nutrition Connections Program, Univ. of NH Coop. Extension

This study with 41 type-2 adults (average age 60 with 10 years diabetes duration) compared the effect of 2 moderate-intensity walking routines on after-meal blood sugar readings:

• One 30-minute walk at any time of the day for 2 weeks
  • A 10-minute walk right after each main meal for 2 weeks

Study Result

• After-meal blood sugar measured over 3 hours was 12% lower following a 10-minute walk after each main meal compared to one 30-minute walk at any time of the day. For example, a person averaging a 200 mg/dl post-meal blood sugar with one 30-minute walk daily would see that drop to 176 mg/dl after switching to three 10-minute after-meal walks. Of course, individual results will vary.
  • The biggest benefit (a 22% drop in after-meal blood sugar) occurred with the 10-minute after-dinner walk, likely because dinners were typically the meal highest in carbs, and after-dinner physical activity was generally low (except when the 10-minute after-dinner walk was done). That's the difference between 200 mg/dl & 156 mg/dl or between 240 mg/dl & 187 mg/dl.
  • A longer walk (say, 15-20 minutes) after the day's meal highest in carbs would likely have even more benefit. (Or more vigorous walking. One variation is "interval" walking where you alternate 4-5 minutes of regular walking with 1-minute of very fast pace walking.  Research shows it benefits blood sugar & blood vessel health more than regular walking.)  You could experiment with these variations after trying the study's routine for a week or two and comparing blood sugar effects. Measure it right before you eat to get a baseline and then about 2 hours later. Record your readings.
  • NOTE: Other similar activities like bicycling or using an elliptical machine could be substituted for walking.

How this Information Can Help You

• Lowering your after-meal blood sugar has a big influence on reducing your A1c, as well as lowering the risk for heart attack, stroke, kidney disease, and diabetic nerve pain.
  • The researchers note that after-meal walking may have special benefit for insulin users by allowing them to reduce their total daily dosage or eliminate the need for mealtime injections to lower after-meal blood sugar. And lower insulin dosages are also associated with less weight gain. CAUTION!: Do not adjust your insulin dosage w/o approval from your diabetes care provider.

How this Study Was Done

• It used a “crossover” design, meaning that each subject participated in both walking options for a 2-week period separated by a “washout” period of 30 days (just their normal activity) between them.
  • The order of the walking patterns was randomly assigned, so half the group began with a 10-minute walk right after each meal while the other half began with the 30-min walk at any time of the day.
  • Blood sugar was measured with continuous glucose monitors that took readings every 5 minutes over 7 days
  • Subjects wore accelerometers (movement intensity monitors) to accurately measure exercise intensity and duration.

Study source: Article in the medical journal Diabetologia, published online 10/17/16. Abstract at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27747394

DON'T MISS my other posts in this Health Issues Forum:

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS

• The info presented in this post should not replace professional medical or dietary advice, diagnosis or treatment.
  • Always consult your registered dietitian or physician before making any significant dietary or exercise changes.
  • Don't ignore professional medical advice due to the info presented here.
  • There is no guarantee that these recommendations will work for you.

David Leonard, M.Ag.

Educational Program Coordinator (retired)

Nutrition Connections Program

University of NH Cooperative Extension

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the three 10-minute after-meal walks routine to see if it improves after-meal blood sugar compared to one 30-minute walk daily? Measure it right before you eat to get a baseline and then about 2 hours later. Record your readings.

David

David Leonard, M.Ag.

Educational Program Coordinator (retired)

Nutrition Connections Program

University of NH Cooperative Extension

• 3 months later...

I have not tried this but it is an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

Thank You!  Got diagnosed type2 three years ago and read everything I can on the big D (An I don't mean Dallas!)

With diet and exercise I've kept my AiC at under 5.2 since diagnosed. But it ain't easy. And I miss my Hostess Cupcakes!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived