USB760 vs Jetpack

kbtravelers

I currently have a Verizon USB 760 aircard with 5120mb and it fills my needs at a cost of $60.28/month, tax included. Some people have suggested changing to the Jetpack, however they couldn't give a solid reason for changing. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm somewhat "challenged" in this area. Thanks, Bob

The Jetpacks/MiFis can connect and handle a number of devices to the internet at once. In that regard they are like routers.

When we full timed we used a USB modem and a Cradlepoint router so we could use our two laptops and Kindle E readers and all could connect to the internet. We also had a home network so we could share files between our laptops.

I was told there is a way to use a Jetpack to create a home network but I spent about a day trying and couldn't do it.

We bought a Verizon Jetpack/MIFI6620L for a three week train trip from CO to NH and back last summer and used it when hotel or other WiFi was not available. We couldn't share files but that wasn't really a problem. I plan to sell it now since we won't be going on any trips in the future.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

If you use a cradle amplifier like a Wilson sleek or plan to leave the Jetpack plugged into AC current all the time, do some research. The Pantech Jetpack I had would eat batteries, because leaving it plugged in or on the Sleek cradle would cause the batteries to overheat, bulge and fail. I tried the recommended solution of using a spacer between the cradle and the jetpack, but with it plugged in continuously the batteries still bulged and failed. There was supposed to be a hack which would allow the jetpack to run when plugged into AC without a battery, but I never felt confident on trying that. The 760 modem on a USB cable connected to a router can be left in the amplifier cradle all the time with no ill effects.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

The Verizon USB 760 is a 3G modem, not their current 4G/LTE (faster) network. But if the speed & coverage of your service isn't bothering you, then there's really no reason to change that for a bit. But over the course of the coming years, Verizon is continuing to switch their 3G capacity over to LTE, so you will experience less coverage & capacity as time goes on. Just keep that in mind, there will come a time you'll want to upgrade to something more current.

As far as a USB modem vs. Jetpack solution - that really comes down to your personal use case. If you're happy with just using the USB stick, then why change?

A Jetpack makes sense for those who want one simple device that can create a WIFi network of its own to get multiple devices online at a time. They also have a battery integrated into them so you can take them with you as portable hotspot. Another advantage is for those who want to keep the most current technology, as new Jetpacks tend to get released more frequently than USB modems.

But USB modem also has advantages - such as less firmware to complicate things. You can also plug that USB modem into a mobile router, and get similar features of a WiFi network if you need to support multiple devices.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

If you use a cradle amplifier like a Wilson sleek or plan to leave the Jetpack plugged into AC current all the time, do some research. The Pantech Jetpack I had would eat batteries, because leaving it plugged in or on the Sleek cradle would cause the batteries to overheat, bulge and fail. I tried the recommended solution of using a spacer between the cradle and the jetpack, but with it plugged in continuously the batteries still bulged and failed. There was supposed to be a hack which would allow the jetpack to run when plugged into AC without a battery, but I never felt confident on trying that. The 760 modem on a USB cable connected to a router can be left in the amplifier cradle all the time with no ill effects.

Indeed, the Pantech MHS291 notoriously had a battery charging problem that causes bulging batteries.

Thankfully, we've had hardly any reports of similar issues with the newer models that have come out - the 6620 and AC791L.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Archived