Help! RE: Generators! We Know Not What We Do!

Nomad Hiker

Ok, we have come to Arizona to look at what we believe is our choice of 5th wheel. We hope to do a fair amount of boondockihng. This RV has a residential frig and an RV frig is NOT a choice. However, that is not the question although you may tell me it should be???? The salseman at the dealership said to get a couple Honda or Yamaha generators and that we do NOT need RV prep for those. Is this a correct statement?

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

If he means stand-alone generators like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2-000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-Eco-Throttle-and-Oil-Alert-EU2000T1A1/206055241?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Generators%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9MEMCjK8ITVw4gDMJaU9vy9M5XGhM15rjM848rn71SgaAqIt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

then yes, they will work with all RVs. Question would be how do you power the fridge when generator is not running e.g. overnight. You will need a major battery bank and that can be a problem with some RVs due to space limitations.

Seems like a classic case of salesman bs. His advice of running 2 generators is not very practical. solar is doable on a fifth wheel if you can find room for the extra batteries needed. Perhaps you should look at other fifth wheels with a propane fridge.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We hope to do a fair amount of boondockihng.

His advice of running 2 generators is not very practical. solar is doable

Jim is spot on. A residential reefer isn't practical for boondocking unless you have the solar and battery bank to back it up. A small inverter type generator is almost a "must have" for boondockers, but should be considered as a back up power source as opposed to a primary.

We have 4 batteries. Not really the ones for boondocking though. We have no problems with fridge when towing. Also 2500 watt inverter. But I would want larger inverter and best batteries for boondocking

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We too have a residential refrig in our 2016 Mobile Suites 5th Wheel, and just did 10 days boondocking at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. We utilized a Zamp Solar 160 watt portable solar panel during the day, with our 1000 watt inverter, 2- 6 volt batteries. Yamaha 2000 i portable generator for about 3 hours after the sun went down. We shut our inverter off(and our refrigerator) for the night, with no ill effects. So, it is doable with a residential relfrig.

Rick & Mary Sorensen

Molly - Boston Terrier

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.8 L diesel

2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSDB3

Full Timers w/ SD Residency

Do you have pets? If so then a built in generator with automatic start is definitely preferred. Whether boondocking or as a backup to shore power an AGS can keep you pet safe and the batteries charged.

However, I have seen and talked to several people who use dual Honda 2000 generators in tandem and are quite happy with that set up.

So it's a matter of choice. The built in is more expensive but more convenient. The dual Hondas are less expensive but require much more attention to battery status.

We too have a residential refrig in our 2016 Mobile Suites 5th Wheel, and just did 10 days boondocking at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. We utilized a Zamp Solar 160 watt portable solar panel during the day, with our 1000 watt inverter, 2- 6 volt batteries. Yamaha 2000 i portable generator for about 3 hours after the sun went down. We shut our inverter off(and our refrigerator) for the night, with no ill effects. So, it is doable with a residential relfrig.[/qu

Did you shut your frig off??? It seems food temp needs to be maintained to prevent spoilage.

Happy Trails,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Selah, no pets in our household .

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

From what I've read, we and you need a bit more information. What is the make and model of your fridge or the wattage? What equipment do you have presently as far as battery bank and inverter/charger? New residential refrigerators require half of what a 2 year old fridge requires. You need to figure out your best strategy including for how long you boondock for.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Solar panels, inverter and a large battery bank should do OK. I would also have a Honda EU2000i for back up to help the battery charging when needed.

I would not wast the money on any thing other than a Honda or a Yamaha. These are reliable and quiet.

Have fun

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I would not wast the money on any thing other than a Honda or a Yamaha.

If you're a full-timer and a rabid boondocker.. I agree. Don't waste your money on the $3-500 knockoffs. Either/or will have different trade-offs, but either way it's a very sound investment.

(avid/rabid... I may need to work on my English. but same difference) :P

Keep in mind that small generators are easily stolen. If you are going to have them for recharging batteries I wouldn't leave them out when I was gone, particularly if you are in an isolated area. I've seen stories of people who used heavy chains and locks to secure their generators, only to find that a thief used the generator to power the tools needed to steal it. You may well decide that the potential theft of the generator is a risk you are willing to take, but you should at least be prepared for that to happen (and at the worst possible time).

I've seen several 5'ers with a built-in propane generator. Those are much harder to steal, but they draw from the same propane tank that supplies the stove, furnace, and hot water heater. Not a problem IF you are good with watching propane levels and getting refills promptly, but a bit inconvenient when you run completely out at midnight and the temperature is rapidly dropping.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Most of the info is right on but.... The reason the salesman said two Honda gens is for the A/C when you need to keep cool. One will charge the battery bank when that is all you need. A minimum of four good deep cycle batteries is all but mandatory, at least 450 AH of storage and a lot of people say 6 batteries four 675 A/H. But now we have a lot of weight. Many use a dedicated 1000 watt inverter for just the refer, this cuts down on the overhead of a large inverter. Solar is great but you will need about 500 watts four four batteries and 700 for six and there are many days that a gen will still be needed and at the price of solar it is becoming a bargin over time. I would go gas for gens, much easier to get gas. If you go the two gen route make sure you get the kit to hook them together.

LEN

I decided NOT to buy a new Excel fifth wheel I really like b/c of the residential fridge AND I believed I would do a lot of boondocking. I wanted to maximize boon docking time. I still run my fridge on electric most of the time but I have lithium batteries, a large solar bank and two honda 200 generators (which are wonderful) even with all of that, I have still found myself in situations where I switched my fridge to propane. If I ever need to replace my fridge I would probably get a residential fridge but only bc we don't boondock as much as I expected and my batteries and solar are up to it (but at a price)

If you are willing to lay out money for(1) generators (which you will need to run a often)(gets old) and get a number of batteries (turns into a weight issue so make sure your trailer and towing capacities are up to it) then you could go with a a residential fridge and boondock (lithium batteries and solar would make a sweet set up) then go for the trailer you are looking at. However, if you are not looking to throw more money at batteries (they need to be good ones---deep cycle) then I would walk away. To boondock at the best cost and lightest weight I would want the propane option on the fridge. Then you can have smaller battery setup, just one Honda 2000 if you won't be running A/C and later on for good measure you could add a small solar package. Lighter, less expensive, gets the job done. http://www.jackdanmayer.com/Sample%20Solar%20and%20Electrical%20Systems.html Jack Mayer's web site has a lot of discussion on how to make sure you get the right set up for your needs.

Dave and Lana Hasper

The unit we are considering is a 2017 5th wheel and has an 18 Cu Ft Samsung residential frig, with a 1000W Pure Sine Inverter. We can get a RV frig, but it is quite an upgrade $3,000 as it is an anomaly.

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

The "NEW" Samsung units with all the bells and whistles are 650W/day for ~25 cu-ft units. They wiil run you $2300-2700 but a good investment for boondooking compared to greater Ah batteries

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

You will find the 18 cf Samsung will use about 100 AH DC per day....or less. You need to be able to replace that power when boondocking. Plus the other power you use. How you do that is up to you.

The typical 1000 watt Magnum inverter used as a dedicated device with the residential refrigerators has a 55 amp charger built into it (the Xantrex Freedom HF has a 40 amp charger). Using that charger to replace the power the fridge uses would take about four hours of genset time.....likely more, and you would not really be "full". Because the charger will go out of "bulk" charge before filling the battery bank. This is just to let you know that you will need a more powerful charger for frequent boondocking. And, in some cases the charge section of these dedicated inverters (when they have on) is not even utilized and you are dependent on a converter for charging.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you are contemplating the small inverter generators, stay away from the Yamaha EF2000IS. I bought two new and both had failures at 1500-1700 hours. Both had catastrophic oil leaks. Both sent in for warranty repair. After 6 months in the shop, #1 returned and exhibited the same problem after 2 hours of use. When I called the shot, they copped a serious "attitude" and said my returning the generator for second repair would see me at the very BOTTOM of the list for some time to come. Second one returned for warranty repair and after 4 months they have not even looked at it.

I sent a certified letter to Yamaha Motorsports in GA and received a form letter in reply. I replied back and have heard nothing further after 6 months. I purchased a Honda 2000 as replacement and find it to be superior to the Yamaha in most respects.

It is my personal feeling Yamaha Motorsports USA does not have a very large priority on service after the sale for their generator line. At the time of original purchase, I felt paying more for a top of the line generator bought me superior quality and assured warranty support. In true and glaring fact, neither premise holds true for the Yamaha product.

Go with the Honda. You will not be disappointed.

The Hondas are great. If you get two Honda generators one of the big benefits is that the two together run much quieter than 1 Honda alone. They have a setting called eco and it keeps the generator running only to the level needed for the electrical draw. With two generators running the available capacity is larger so they are really quiet running together. I was surprised as I always tried to avoid my second generator due to noise and I found the opposite was true.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Lots of good info provided here. I'm no expert but my setup is pretty simple and works well for boondocking for us.

No solar although I know that would be a nice alternative for charging.

Residential Fridge and dedicated 1000 watt PSW inverter with remote sw and auto changeover and to priority shore power.

Two Honda 2000 inverter gennys.

4 6v deep cycle batts.

Trimetric

Standard Progressive Dynamics 80amp converter with Charge wizard. Charge rate ramps down when batts reach near full charge. I can push charge rate higher with selection in charge wizard remote. Helps to top batts faster and can reach 90-95 percent. Not perfect but works ok.

Also one more 1000 Watt PSW inverter dedicated to entertainment area circuit with auto change over and remote sw. For TV movies etc with no gennys.

One more small 300 Watt MSW inverter in BR for TV and printer. Same deal TV in AM and late night no gennys

Additional outlet on fridge circuit allows chargers and MIFi use.

We manage doing what we need on batts and inverter, fridge runs 24/7, watch TV anytime no gennys in Eve or early am. Use furnace as needed.

Charge time depends on batt level, trimetric works great to keep things straight. Never drop batts below 65% usually 75% or higher over night.

Gas usage around 1-2 gal per day for two gennys. We run them when we need to but norm couple hrs in am and same in early eve. Almost never after 7 pm. Unless AC is needed. Can run fuel up a bit more.

Just went a slightly different route with regards to inverters. Multiple, smaller, low to no load static units selected on as needed.

We are dependent on Gen charge and higher power needs. But costs work for us.

Hondas are pretty bullet proof. No question the best choice IMO. Have seen some pretty beat up Hondas run 24/7 at racetracks and other commercial setups that are alive well past when they should be. It makes our use look minimal.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Nomad Hikers, Billr post sounds like very good information and a system you could borrow from. Get the Trimetric or something like it or you will pay far more down the road in failed batteries. The one thing you need to decide is whether you want a number of inverters or a single larger one. Many of us use one larger combined charger inverter that could cover all the functions Bill describes. Bill. How many amp hours are your four 6 volts?

Dave and Lana Hasper

Ok, thanks folks...After much consideration and wonderful input from you folks we went with the VanLeigh 365 RL even though it has the residential frig. We did add the generator prep as one of you recommended. That way IF we need to add a bigger generator we can. We certainly appreciate all your input, and considered it carefully. We will figure it out as we go along, just like I'm sure you all did! It will be an adventure, and I know we have a great community to fall back on! I hope one day our paths will cross! Blessings to you all and safe travels!

Nomad Hikers!

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Nomad Hikers, Billr post sounds like very good information and a system you could borrow from. Get the Trimetric or something like it or you will pay far more down the road in failed batteries. The one thing you need to decide is whether you want a number of inverters or a single larger one. Many of us use one larger combined charger inverter that could cover all the functions Bill describes. Bill. How many amp hours are your four 6 volts?

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc115?gclid=CPuyjKaep9ACFY-GaQodM4kLXA

These are the batts I have.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Ah-hah! I'm so glad I figured out how to do a "quote" ! I almost forgot about batts, and amps, and gens, volts etc for a little while!!! All this lingo, just reminds me how "green" we are! :) I will keep all this info and research it! I do like research! Thanks so much!

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Archived