RV Selection Thought Process

Newmanr

My wife and I are just beginning the planning stages for selling our home and going full-time in about a year and a half. Our current thought is that we will travel full-time for about 10 years and then perhaps settle down in the same RV for the next 10 or 15 years. Based on that plan we are leaning toward a larger, solidly built diesel pusher.

I would very much like to get your feedback about my thought process for choosing what may be our home for the next 20 years. So here ya go ---

Our budget is about $90,000. The advice I have read with respect to buying a gas machine is to buy 3 to 7 years old with about 3000 to 5000 miles per year on it, based I think on the belief that a gas engine will generally last about 100,000 miles.

But I've read that you can expect nearly 1,000,000 miles on a diesel drivetrain and Freightliner chassis, which implies you should be able to buy a diesel pusher with more miles on it and still expect to get far more life out of it.

So then here's a summary of what I think I'm looking for:

- Diesel pusher that fits our preferred floor plan, 35-40'

- Brand that is often considered to be higher quality

Tiffin, Holiday Rambler, Newell, Newmar, Monaco, Winnebago

- $90,000 or less

- 50,000 to 75,000 miles, because it seems to be generally assumed that a diesel drivetrain and associated chassis will run nearly 1,000,000 miles

- As recent a model year as we can get with the above criteria

What do you all think? Thanks SOO much for any feedback!

You also need to think about your maintenance budget. Yes a diesel drive train will last longer but a catastophic failure of a diesel engine in a motorhome will cost upwards of $20,000 to $30,000 in repairs. A 6 speed allison transmission is not much cheaper. If you are on a very tight budget you might want to consider a gas motorhome as the maintenance costs as well as repair are significantly lower.

Dont get me wrong....I like my DP and the smooth quiet ride I get but it does kinda scare me at times when I think about it too hard.then I will crack open a beer and play some crib and I feel better.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

When you are looking at data of Cats/Cummins/Man diesels that run 1/2m to 1 m miles consider that these are engines that are run in benign operating conditions ie started then run for 8 or often 16 hours a day often at steady rpm for long periods.

We Rvers are not as kind to our engines. Still 300k miles would be a reasonable life expectancy

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the Escapee Forums & to the RV club as well! I think that you might find it to be very helpful to attend an RV Boot Camp at your earliest possible time. It is always a good place to start your transition to the RV lifestyle.

Gasoline powered RV engines today usually last at least 150k and often more, if not abused or neglected. Diesel coaches typically last more on the order of 300 - 500k miles. There are some of the bus conversion coaches that run engines like the long haul trucks which will last 1,000,000 miles but those are also coaches that sell for in excess of $1 million and they have Detroit diesels and the like.

If you are planning for an RV to last for 20 - 25 years, you probably should expect to pay more for it. While there are plenty coaches in that price range those of relatively recent manufacture are not at the high end of the quality group. I think that you might be well served to spend a few bucks and join the RV Consumer Group to get access to the information and support that you need.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...then perhaps settle down in the same RV for the next 10 or 15 years...

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

If you seriously think that living in the RV in the same place for 10-15 years is a real possibility, I suggest that you consider the requirements for registration, inspections, and insurance that apply to a motorized RV. Also consider the effect of not moving a motorized RV for that long a period of time.

Thanks so much for the quick replies so far. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear - some real world advice based on experience and knowledge. You've given me a lot more to think about. So what I hear so far is to get some time in an RV class, and maybe I should give up the idea of living in the same rig for 20 years and therefore go back to a less expensive (to buy and maintain) gas rig.

Other thoughts and opinions or suggestions, folks?

And again --- THANK YOU!

Here are some for sale to give you an idea within your budget range: 2007 Monaco; 2016 Winnebago; 2001 Foretravel; 1998 Newell

http://motorhomesoftexas.com/c#/coachesrv/all/default/all/all/all

On the PPL Consignment site there are around $90,000: 2004 Country Coach; 2005 Revolution (Fleetwood) and a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star for $69,000

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php

I'd rate the manufacturers of the above from top to bottom as (depending on the model and mileage): Foretravel, Newell, Newmar, Country Coach Monaco, Revolution and Winnebago

If I were you I wouldn't be thinking of keeping the motorhome for 20 years. Things can change greatly by then and you could have other options if not traveling, such as a Park Model trailer. Just plan now for your traveling years. A diesel is wonderful for traveling miles and is powerful for doing mountains. We used our Newmar Dutch Star for 8 great years of full-timing and traveling constantly. Have fun with your planning!!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

My wife and I are just beginning the planning stages for selling our home and going full-time in about a year and a half. Our current thought is that we will travel full-time for about 10 years and then perhaps settle down in the same RV for the next 10 or 15 years. Based on that plan we are leaning toward a larger, solidly built diesel pusher.

I would very much like to get your feedback about my thought process for choosing what may be our home for the next 20 years. So here ya go ---

Our budget is about $90,000. The advice I have read with respect to buying a gas machine is to buy 3 to 7 years old with about 3000 to 5000 miles per year on it, based I think on the belief that a gas engine will generally last about 100,000 miles.

But I've read that you can expect nearly 1,000,000 miles on a diesel drivetrain and Freightliner chassis, which implies you should be able to buy a diesel pusher with more miles on it and still expect to get far more life out of it.

So then here's a summary of what I think I'm looking for:

- Diesel pusher that fits our preferred floor plan, 35-40'

- Brand that is often considered to be higher quality

Tiffin, Holiday Rambler, Newell, Newmar, Monaco, Winnebago

- $90,000 or less

- 50,000 to 75,000 miles, because it seems to be generally assumed that a diesel drivetrain and associated chassis will run nearly 1,000,000 miles

- As recent a model year as we can get with the above criteria

What do you all think? Thanks SOO much for any feedback!

I don't want you to think I am finding fault with your decision to go with a diesel pusher, but how much time have you spent comparing 35' to 38' 5th wheels to motorhomes?

There are pluses and minuses to both the 5th wheel and the motorhome.

I would recommend you look back through older topics in the different areas in this forum for comparisons between 5th wheels and MH's. There have been several discussions over the last couple of years.

Look in these areas:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=3

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=4

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=5

Plan on spending some several hours (doesn't have to be in one sitting) reading through the various topics.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much for the quick replies so far. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear - some real world advice based on experience and knowledge. You've given me a lot more to think about. So what I hear so far is to get some time in an RV class, and maybe I should give up the idea of living in the same rig for 20 years and therefore go back to a less expensive (to buy and maintain) gas rig.

Other thoughts and opinions or suggestions, folks?

And again --- THANK YOU!

It is not the life of the engine/transmission/chassis that limits the life of the MH. What limits the life of the RV is overall construction of the walls, roof, slide outs, and all the appliances.

Besides fulltimers don't drive 30,000, 40,000 miles a year. We move much slower and stay longer between moves. Fulltimeing is not vacation mode where you only have 2 weeks to see it all.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

You also should decide if you plan on being light or heavy when planning for full timing. In general the higher end diesel pushers will have more carrying capacity vs a similar size gas coach.

Also consider basement and house storage. Some coaches are lacking in house storage. At the 35-40 foot length you will find some tag axle coaches. You give up some basement storage for the tag axle. Some say the tag is more of a pleasure to drive.

At a given length most DP coaches have more basement storage vs a gas coach, unless you end up with an old rear engine gas bus conversion.

You can get a great value if you go for a coach without slides if you are willing to give up the space they give you.

I would study up on axle ratings too and try to find a coach that has a lower probability of being overloaded when outfitted for full timing.

Thanks so much, guys. You're helping me see that I need to shorten my horizons a bit. And we have considered the 5th Wheel solution, even looked at some, but at least so far it doesn't seem to fit the wife and I, but at this point in the game most anything is still possible. I want my lovely wife to enjoy the whole experience as much as is possible within our budget so need to keep researching it. I'll be sure to read through all the relevant threads to help educate me. Thank you!

Another thing to consider is the amount of mileage that you will put on the motorhome. With motorhomes you normally tow a vehicle that is less costly to drive and replace. If you consider a gas coach, you can get a new one or nearly so for the money that would get you a 10 year old diesel. We chose to buy a new gas coach and kept it 14 years, living in it for 12 continuous years. Because we lived the volunteer for site lifestyle we would sit still for from one to three months in a new location, volunteering part time and then using our towed car to see everything for 100 miles in all directions. As such we put the high mileage on out tow car while the motorhome remained relatively low, while we put a total of 245, 000 miles on a combination of 3 different towed vehicles. It is less expensive to operate and to replace the smaller vehicle, which is one of the reasons we did as we did. We sold our 1998 motorhome in 2012 with a total of 78, 000 miles. Had we been traveling in any type of trailer we would have put 323k miles on our tow truck in that period. Your manner of travel and living play a significant part in what type RV will suit you best.

A top quality gas coach will typically sell for about 60% the cost of a diesel of the same quality & size. If you are a very high mileage traveler, or if you want to tow something heavy as a car, the diesel is a clear advantage. Diesel coaches also have more and better pass-through storage than do gas chassis rigs and in some cases they have more cargo capacity, but not always. Gas RVs cost less to operate in general but not a great deal difference. For us it was a matter of budget.

Diesels like to be driven. Buy for your traveling years then sell it for the settling down years. You probably won't be able to sell it later if you settle down in it. Unless you plan on driving it for a weekend getaway at least once a month after you settle down.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have a theory! A theory that concludes that folks worry too much about the 'what' motorhome/RV bit before they decide what their planned RVing lifestyle will be.

Let me explain!!! If you want to snow bird from Detroit to Miami each year for 6 months at a time them mileage and engine performance will be mute. Floor plan will be key. On the other hand if you want to go 'bush' for long periods and live off grid then storage and generator etc will be key. Now if you want to stay in small state and national parks then RV size will be very important.

So IMHO spend a lot, a lot, of time on thinking about what it is that you want to do in/with your RV. Your new lifestyle may well determine the type of RV that suits your needs. That shiny big DP may be a PITA if you can't get it into a beautiful state park.

regards

Another welcome!

You are doing the right thing in planning your full-time adventure. Each one of us has a different path, so it isn't surprising that we have different coaches. I'd like to go back to something you first said: "Our current thought is that we will travel full-time for about 10 years and then perhaps settle down in the same RV for the next 10 or 15 years." If you bought something brand new (difficult with your proposed price), you will be looking at parking a 10-year-old coach for 10-15 years. At that point you will have something that will have to be towed away and will be nearly worthless. Few people buy the right coach the first time, which is why most buy a USED coach and then trade fairly soon as they learn what life is really like for them. There are big advantages and disadvantages to both towables and driveables. Only you can decide which best fits your needs. I'd suggest that you focus on the first couple of years and worry about the later years later. Spend some time at campgrounds talking to people with motor homes and towables. Ask them why they chose they type of coach (NOT the brand) and then back home discuss that reasoning. You will get ideas of things to think about that hadn't occurred to you.

Consider your travels. Will you be moving frequently, or will you tend to stay parked for weeks at a time? Drivetrains like to be used, so if you are going to park in Corpus Christi for five months and then drive up to Lake Superior for five months, taking a month each way, you probably should consider a towable. On the other hand, if you are going to go from one Corps of Engineers park to the next (two week maximum stay) a motor home may well suit you. Keep in mind that whichever route you take you will have something towing something else. The motor home can tow a very fuel-efficient vehicle, so that your total annual fuel bill may well be pretty low. A towable will require a truck, which will be your daily driver, but adds additional outside space for stuff.

You may well find that, as you travel, your needs will change, making a change in coaches a necessity. That happens a lot. You may well start out with a motor home, moving frequently, and then find that you are returning to certain places more often and staying for longer periods of time. That may tell you that it is time to switch to a towable.

All this is to say not to plan too far into the future. Buy something that fits your anticipated needs for the next 2-3 years and then see what you want to do. Keep in mind that you will probably need to buy tires and batteries for anything you buy, so be sure to allow for that. In addition, there will be other things that you will want/need to do in order to make the coach as right as possible for you. Many people have suggested that you keep about $10,000 in reserve for the first year to make the needed repairs and upgrades. Remember that a coach with good maintenance records is worth more than one without those records.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

First of all, welcome to the forum....

Some points to consider, in random order.

• Most fulltimers cover between 5-10,000 miles a year. As some have mentioned. Those that travel much more than that generally do not maintain the lifestyle for a long period of time (that is a generalization). Any RV can manage that distance, and most very comfortably. How comfortable you want to be depends on your needs/wants. A DP is a very comfortable way to cover miles. But how much more comfortable that a gas MH? For the miles travelled per year I would suggest that it may not matter to many people. BUT there are other reasons to own a DP....like simple preference.
  • For most fulltimers getting off the road, it is more reasonable to go into a park model, port home, or casita in an RV community.These give you a better living experience than an RV of any price. And they are not typically expensive. So, IMO, your long-term plan should be focussed on that "exit", with a plan to sell the RV. Just something else to consider. And consider that a 10+ year old RV is not going to be worth much. It is a depreciating asset - NOT an investment.
  • There is no question that a DP has higher cost of ownership than a gas MH. You need to factor that into your decisions and see if you truly have a requirement for a DP. Or simply just want one. Just remember it is very likely to cost more overall. IMO.
  • The use of a MH vs a trailer is mainly personal preference. Only you can decide that. There are advantages to both....and disadvantages to both.
  • Floorplan and layout is the major deciding factor in any RV choice. If you do not have a floorplan that suits you then your RV experience will not be as good as it could have been. Many people leave the road for that reason...even if they do not recognize that as a factor.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Very well put Jack.

My concern about depreciating assets is the deep hit one takes when buying new. In my opinion...let someone else take that hit and buy a 2 year old unit. Especially pickup trucks as pickups seem to retain their value best after the initial depreciation off the lot.

I have never regretted buying used. I have regretted buying new.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Sort of a hybrid $.02 building off of bits and pieces of other posts in this thread.

> For the early travel phase of this adventure. Maybe drop budget down to $40-50K range, buy an older good quality motorhome. ( agree with the lists provided by 2Gypsies, and add Alpine, Travel Supreme, Beaver to this list. (And attention to detail on this, as using Monaco for example, they have many models - so do your homework on a specific brand, and keep in the mid to top level models. Dynasty and above within the Monaco line (And their equivalent in the Holiday Rambler models, also built by Monaco.)

Do some reading on side radiator vs rear, drum brakes vs disc, Jake Compression vs Exhaust Brake, Tag vs Non Tag, etc. Also learn and understand what CCC is all about. Go visit may RV Dealers, and 'Lookie Lou' thru them. Get a feel for the quality of components, cabinetry of different manufactures. Look at the lay outs. Think about the number slides. Think about kitchens in moving slides, or no moving kitchen.

Another good source is PPL, as they have good pictures and usually include a good floor plan representation to. They also are a good source for what coaches sell for.

Then the two you sit down and come up with a short list of manufactures and models that seem to fit your budget, and what you want. Then go shopping:)!

> Go travel for 5, 10 or whatever you feel is right for you. Your depreciation will be less on and older coach at this budget range. But of course you will take a pretty good hit on now what could be a 15-20 year old DP.

> While traveling, look into communities, COOPS, that allow Park Models. Escapees have several such places, and they're scattered throughout the country. Keep and eye out for a place you two may wish to come off of the road. And whenever that time is, get into a park ahead of time, and get your longer term place set up. Many go with a Park Model, or a higher quality 5th wheel. And then also get a 'Weekend Getaway' smaller camper, Class B, trailer, tent trailer, whatever floats your boat... And then go off for smaller travels.

I suspect the two of you will be like many others, including my wife and I. As you get out and get going, travel some, talk to others - what you may think is the way to go for the long haul now, could easily change after you get a few years under your belt:)!

And best of luck to you, have fun during this process:)! And another welcome to the gang,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I sure appreciate all of you. My guess is you've been asked and answered this same question near a thousand times, and still you patiently help out us nubies. I've already learned a lot. And I sure am glad I started the conversation with more than a year before launch day. Had I started later I would either be making some big mistakes or be in a panic! In any case, thanks all -- some very appreciated and excellent help here!

As usual, I very much agree with what Jack Mayer has posted, but do want to expand just a little bit on some points that he made. Jack & I share the fact that we both chose the very best RV type. I say this even though Jack chose a fifth wheel and I lived in a gas powered motorhome because the thing that we share in common is that we picked what fit us best. The best choice is what makes you and your spouse happy,

Most fulltimers cover between 5-10,000 miles a year. As some have mentioned. Those that travel much more than that generally do not maintain the lifestyle for a long period of time (that is a generalization)

While many fulltimers will travel 20k or more for a year or even two, I too have observed that very few who continue to live that way beyond 2 years ever stay on the road for 5 years or longer. It is important to realize that this isn't a long vacation but a lifestyle and as such the travel is just as important as the destination you are traveling to.

• For most fulltimers getting off the road, it is more reasonable to go into a park model, port home, or casita in an RV community.These give you a better living experience than an RV of any price. And they are not typically expensive. So, IMO, your long-term plan should be focussed on that "exit", with a plan to sell the RV. Just something else to consider. And consider that a 10+ year old RV is not going to be worth much. It is a depreciating asset - NOT an investment.

Giving yourself some type of exit plan is very important to most of us at some point in the future. Older RV parks are frequently filled with rundown RVs occupied by people who are up in years and don't have the financial ability to buy a home. I believe that planning for what comes next is one of the most overlooked sides of going fulltime. Old age is one of those subjects that most of us prefer to put off but I caution you that the vagaries of age will arrive without warning and sooner that most of us expect. We hit the road at ages 57/58 and believed that we had pretty much forever before we needed to think of what came next, but fortunately our financial adviser got us to do some early planning as for us the end of fulltime came very suddenly, When Pam required major ankle surgery in year 9 we discovered that our RV was not walker/wheelchair friendly at all. In the two years following Pam's other chronic medial issues began to play a larger role in our travel planning causing us to start considering what to do next and because of the wise financial advice when we hit the road, we were able to buy a home in an RV community and to continue to RV on a part-time basis.

Our dream when we started to plan for fulltime living was a new diesel pusher, and to travel debt free. While we could have done that, it would have meant the use of all proceeds from the sale of our stick house to avoid monthly payments and since Pam had been a stay-at-home mom most of her career, she had no retirement pension until SS age so we were not comfortable heading out with monthly payments. For that reason we lowered our standards and got a gas coach and looking back I really don't see that we could have enjoyed our years on the road a bit more with the more impressive RV we had dreamed of and we sure do enjoy the financial security of our debt free home now that we are back to part time,

We sold our beloved motorhome when it was 14 years old and to drive home Jack's point of depreciating assets, the MSRP when we bought it was $83k(we actually paid $67k) when we sold it we got only $10k of that money back, requiring us to add some money to that just to buy our present small travel trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

"Giving yourself some type of exit plan is very important to most of us at some point in the future." Absolutely! Our plan was to travel for five years, visiting all 50 States, and figuring out where we wanted to land when we decided that it was time to land. We've been full-timing for just over two years and have seen parts of 12 States. At this rate it is going to take a bit longer than five years to see all 50 States. Of course there are some States that are very unlikely for us to pick as final destinations, but as we visit an area we discuss whether we might want to consider that as a final destination. Eventually we will return to some areas and finally we'll pick somewhere to land.

We're currently in a diesel pusher but are talking about switching to a towable since our needs have changed somewhat in the three years that we've owned this coach. That's something else to consider. As Kirk mentioned above, what fits you today may not fit you in the future. Be prepared to change to something else if that better fits your needs. Each type of recreational vehicle is best for a certain way of life, which is why there are so many to choose from. Find what best fits what your needs are now and what you anticipate they will be for the next few years. As you go out in the country and actually live your dream you will find that some of the things that you thought were important aren't important, and some things that you thought weren't important are very important. Be willing to change to another coach, or even another type of coach, if that would be a better fit for you. As the saying goes, "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape."

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived