After many years, we are going!

mwtrowbridge

We have talked about taking a DC trip for the past 12 years but it was never in the cards. Now, we are planning (with time already off) to go the first week in July. I know it will be a mad house around there but how awesome would it be to spend our Nations Independence Day at our Nations Capital?

I am posting this to see if anyone else would be interested in joining us along the way? No, I have not checked to see if these dates overlap an already scheduled event. This trip is very high on my bucket list and not being promised tomorrow, we are going July 2017!

Sorry for the short rambling, I'm exhausted but wanted to get the thread going now and I can come back and add details later. Oh, has anyone else already made the trip and if so, where did you stay and what did you do?

Thanks in advance and God Bless...

Life is too short so live each day as if it were your last! ~Michael

We lived in the "Greater" DC area for 20+ years and just returned after 10 years away to visit our son and our old friends.

Big thing to remember in DC is that there is NOWHERE to park! Everything is pay to park and all full during working hours. Best thing to do is park at a Metro rail station and get the Metro in. Get multi day passes to save money.

There are few places to camp around DC. We stayed at the KOA in Millersville MD because it was near our son and our old neighborhood where our friends lived. It was $70 a night and not very good, but it's about all there is near DC and it's close to a MARC rail station for trips into DC, They also have a shuttle bus that will take you into DC for a fee.

We found the best ever deal was the Severna Park Elks Lodge. No hookups but VERY welcoming and just a couple of miles from the KOA etc.

I'm not saying DC isn't a great place to visit, the Smithsonian, the Mall, Washington Monument, White House, Capitol. All great things to see. If you like airplanes then the Air and Space Museum's new facility at Dulles Airport is amazing!

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Richmond are all within reasonable distance too.

I'd advise getting arrangements for camping or hotels made VERY early.

Take lots of money, it's expensive. But have fun!

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

There are two county park campgrounds in the Virginia suburbs: Pohick Bay Regional Park and Bull Run Regional Park. A little further south there is a campground at Prince William Forest State Park.

I am only familiar with Pohick Bay, which is 12 miles south of the Mt. Vernon estate in the southern part of Alexandria, VA (a great place to visit). Most sites are electric only, but there are a handful of full hookup sites. The park's property is huge with many walking trails through beautiful, wooded, hilly terrain. The campground is not on the water but part of the park does border Pohick Bay off of the Potomac River, where there is a boat ramp, boat rentals, picnic areas, and a playground.

Not only is the campground reasonably close to Mt. Vernon, its property is adjacent to Gunston Hall, George Mason's estate and now a lovely museum. A few miles down the road is Mason Neck State Park, a great place for eagle watching, hiking, biking, etc.

There is a VRE (Virginia Railway Express) station in Lorton, VA close by.

The county park website is www.novaparks.com or you can google each park separately.

Like noted by the above response, make your plans/reservations well in advance, and have fun!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

When we went to DC for ball games, touring, etc. we always used Bull Run Regional Park. There is a Metro station nearby with parking. The DC Metro is very easy to use. Also, along with very little parking available, the parking garages are usually monthly or yearly rented spots and some you can't get into until after 6 PM. And remember the government buildings are free. There are many free things to do in DC and the city is not to be missed! But I will also warn you that in July you will have the 3 H's. Hazy, Hot and HUMID!

...there is a campground at Prince William Forest State Park...

I am not aware of a Prince William Forest State Park. There is a Prince William Forest Park run by the National Park Service which has campgrounds and an RV Park with full hookups which might be desirable in July. There is also a Famcamp at Quantico if you are eligible to stay in those.

Stay at Cherry Hill Campground. It is very nice and about 2 miles from the College Park Metro on the Green/Yellow Line.

X 2 on Cherry Hill. Can't go wrong. You can take a shuttle to the Nearby metro, or park at the metro itself which is just a mile or so away. They even hold classes at the RV park about how to get around town using the metro etc. So easy, so awesome.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Archived