update on cricket phone

kinseypw

Went to Cricket in Helena and tried to activate on my old rooted Galaxy S3 - no luck. They suggested a factory reset of the phone but I didnt want to lose data. So I picked up their cheapest option, a ZTE Overture 2 for $20. Signed up and off I went. I quickly found out that tethering is disabled on all cricket phones sold with the unlimited plan and tho there are work arounds, they do need a bit of tech savvy. I found I can do most anything on the phone however and have been very happy with the outcome. We only have 2-3 bars outside Yuma on BLM land but I still DL at 800kb/sec.Data use in the first 10 days is 27Gb. The unlimited talk and text to Canada has been well used and I love that I can still use the phone when I go back in the summer. So far its really hitting the spot for me and the up-front cost was minimal. Next challenge is to find a way to mirror the screen on my TV so I can watch TED Talks on a larger format.

Howdy,

Thanks for the report. Can you please clarify:

1) when you say you're downloading at 800kb/s, do you really mean a lowercase 'b' (for kilobits) or an uppercase 'B' (kilobytes)? It's an 8-fold difference.

2) Which one of the Cricket plans have you got? How much is it costing you per month?

Thanks,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Archived