Web Page Videos Start Without Permission

dsimpson

Long ago, I started setting up Adobe Flash Player to "Ask to Activate" so that videos would not play without my permission. This was really important when I switched to the much faster 4G because the videos would load before I got a chance to stop them. This was using a lot of my limited air card data. Now it seems that more and more web pages contain videos that start running without permission. I don't even know what add-on is running these videos. This is one example of what I am talking about.

http://www.businessinsider.com/richard-sherman-that-cost-bills-a-field-goal-2016-11

How do I prevent these videos from downloading? I often open new web pages in a new window and may not go to that window right away. During that delay, these videos download and use up a lot of data when all I wanted to do was read the text.

Didn't load for me. And thus the page wouldn't load as the site said I had to watch their content video/ads if I wanted to go there. Ok by me.

In addition to having Flash Control not run unless I specifically tell it to, I also have AdBlocker Plus. I'm using Firefox as my browser on my Mac.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm using Chrome with UBlock Origin and Privacy Badger and the videos still auto played for me. I also have Flash auto play disabled. I'm not certain but I'm guessing that the videos are HTML5. I found this page about how to disable HTML5 auto play... maybe it will help.

If you can get auto play to stop then you may want to double check that the video is not still loading in the background and just not playing but still sucking up your data. I'd be interested in the results.

I've been looking for a solution to this for half an hour now because I hate auto playing videos wasting my data too. From what I can tell so far, even with HTML5 auto play disabled it may still download and cache the video in the background and thus still waste your data.

I inspected the source code for the page that you linked and it looks like the video content is coming from streamable.com. I went to my adblock extension "Ublock Origin" and added a new "My Filters" to block streamable.com and the videos no longer auto-play. So I guess that's a way to block the videos from loading but you would have to do that for every website you visit that has auto play. It's not a very good solution. I was also able to manually block streamable.com in Privacy Badger.

I'm interested in any better solutions that others have found.

Looking at the script for the page, and also due to the fact that I have Flash blocked also, I am pretty certain that the video is html5 vs Flash but I'm not an expert. Html5 is becoming more popular due to various reasons. Try the link above and let us know how it works although it seems as though the instructions given prevent it from playing but not keeping it from downloading, which is what you want

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

In IE go to settings and then manage add ons. Go to tracking protection and click to find them there and scroll down the list and add the Google tracing protector. Most of the videos are hosted on YouTube and Google owns YouTube and so they will not play. To see a video you just go back to tracking protection and enable Google tracking protection. There are also settings in Windows 10 under start/settings. Easily reversed all. I cannot speak to non MS browsers as I use IE and Edge.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I too use Chrome. I prefer to view my online news at Fox and setting Flash Player not to autoplay seemed to block the videos. This morning that was not working. I installed the "Disable HTML5 Autoplay" extension and now have successfully blocked videos again.

One thing I noticed is that Fox is getting cagey, and I would presume that most other sites are similar, because when I watched closely you could see the flash getting blocked in the video window, that would go away and another form of the video would then get delivered. Somehow they are detecting the blocker and then trying another method of delivery.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived