Has anyone found boondocking sites near Chaco Canyon?

yourpcgeek49

We are planning to visit Chaco Canyon National Historic Park in a few weeks and would like to be close to the park but would like to avoid driving the 10 - 15 miles of bad road with our 5er to get to the park's campground. Has anyone stayed on any of the BLM land in the area of the access roads? Where?

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

Hi,

We don't know the area personally (it's on our bucket list), but we've been researching it and it doesn't seem to be many options: the two online resources we use (free campsites.net and campendium.com) both point to a single BLM spot, and it isn't exactly close; it's Angel Peak, in San Juan, 34mi distance:

https://freecampsites.net/#!11264&query=sitedetails

https://www.campendium.com/angel-peak

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--

Vall & Mo.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

I had seen that, but "somebody" I had talked to had said that there is some BLM land much closer -- not a formal campground. But, of course, I don't remember who said that! LOL. Looking at the PublicLands.org site, it looks like the land along the road is a mixture of Reservation land and BLM land. Hoping someone in Escapee-land has experience there.

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

Here's the park's website and you can click on 'Alternative Camping'. I would guess even the alternatives would not be suitable for RVs. It's not an easy park to get to. The BLM in the area is in a controversy of allowing fracking around the park - a lot of uproar.

Do you carry a tent in your RV? That would be the best way to visit the park....stay in a RV park in Farmington and pack your tent for an overnight. It you're determined you could even buy a cheap tent for the one night.

https://www.nps.gov/chcu/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We are planning to visit Chaco Canyon National Historic Park in a few weeks and would like to be close to the park but would like to avoid driving the 10 - 15 miles of bad road with our 5er to get to the park's campground. Has anyone stayed on any of the BLM land in the area of the access roads? Where?

Yes, we stayed at Angel Peak CG (Angel Peak Scenic Area, BLM) about 15 miles south of Bloomfield, NM on US-550. It is on the N side of the hwy at MM 136.8. There are three picnic areas with very good access for boondocking and a nice 9 campsite CG there. GPS: 36.546776 -107.861632 for the CG. It is about a 40 mile drive from Angel Peak to Chaco Canyon. We have boondocked at the 2nd and 3rd picnic areas in the last 2 years.

We spent 5 nights in Chaco Canyon CG in mid October and had great weather. We spent the night at Angel Peak before driving the MH into Chaco Canyon.

All the land approaching Chaco Canyon is Navajo land. Being that it is Indian land, I wouldn't stay w/o permission. I have seen a number of reports of people boondocking on Indian land and having the Indian authorities come by and demand some sort of payment or fine for trespassing. Remember on Indian land you are subject to whatever laws they have.

You don't say if you just want a quick trip and overview of Chaco Canyon or not. You will get a quick overview by a day trip, hardly worth the drive.

My recommendation is to take your 5'er to the CG and spend 4-5 nights there. The guided tours are excellent. Check to see if they will be doing the moonlight walk in November and plan on being there for the full moon. If you will do some hiking, the Pueblo Alto trail is excellent. You don't have to do the 5 mile loop. Just follow the trail along the sandstone shelf toward Pueblo Bonito. Great views of the Pueblo from above. Also there is a very nice 3/4 mile long trail at the CG. It starts at the camp host site by the dump station. There is drinking water for your RV at the visitor center. May be turned off in the winter.

Yes, the last 6 miles of the road is very rough. Don't attempt this 6 miles if it is wet, even if you have 4 wheel drive. Maybe if you a jeep and experience with very muddy roads you can do it. It will take you about 30-45 minutes to drive the 6 miles with an RV. Just go slow 5 to 15 MPH and you will be fine. Before you get to the last 6 miles, there is 7 miles of very good hard packed all weather gravel road. Almost no washboard and no potholes. The surface was rough and it vibrated our MH some, but not enough so we regretted going.

Have you looked at the weather history for Chaco Canyon? Expect some nights with lows in the teens and highs from mid 40's to mid 60's. If you wait to December it will be even colder.

Check out the Weather Underground History Calendar for Farmington, NM. Since Farmington is about 1000' lower than Chaco Canyon you will need to subtract 3-5 degrees from these temps. BTW when you are looking at the history calendar, with just a click of your mouse on the year field, you can look at the history for 2014, 2013, etc to see the actual temps for those years.

Starting in November all campsites are first come first serve. The website says no RV's over 35'. However there are 4-5 sites long enough to handle your 38' trailer. The back of your trailer will hang past the end of the site. You can look at all the campsites at ground level with Google Earth. Go to GPS: 36.037016 -107.890097 to view the CG. If you are not familiar with Google Earth, to see ground level view, drag the little person statue on the right side of the screen to one of the blue highlighted roads to see 360 degree photo.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

There are 2 gravel areas, both I am pretty sure are on Navajo land and not BLM land.

The first is at the junction of US-550 and CR-7900 at GPS: 36.240402 -107.706125. I don't know about o/n parking here, but you could probably leave your RV there for the day. This could be NMDOT land.

The second is about 5 miles from US-550 on CR-7900 going to Chaco Canyon right where you take a sharp right turn toward Chaco Canyon. All paved 2 lane highway. This is gravel area and pretty level. GPS: 36.173755 -107.678470. I am almost 100% certain this is Navajo Land, so take your chances if you want to spend the night.

I'll repeat what I said above. While the last 6 miles is rough, as long as you are not in a rush and will take the 45 minutes or so to drive the 6 miles there is no reason why you would damage your RV. Lots of 30-35' MH's, 5th wheels and smaller RV's drive it each year. We did drive there in our 29' Winnebago. Just don't drive it if it is wet!

There were a couple of 35' gas Class A MH's, several 22' to 30' Class C's several travel trailers, a couple of 32' to 35' 5th wheels in the CG while we were there. Granted there were more tents, class B's and vans than the larger RV's I listed, but there is no real problem if you go slow.

To me taking your time to enjoy learning about the park and history of the people is the main reason to go. It is difficult to do that by rushing in for 6 hours and then leaving.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

There are 2 gravel areas, both I am pretty sure are on Navajo land and not BLM land.

The first is at the junction of US-550 and CR-7900 at GPS: 36.240402 -107.706125. I don't know about o/n parking here, but you could probably leave your RV there for the day. This could be NMDOT land.

The second is about 5 miles from US-550 on CR-7900 going to Chaco Canyon right where you take a sharp right turn toward Chaco Canyon. All paved 2 lane highway. This is gravel area and pretty level. GPS: 36.173755 -107.678470. I am almost 100% certain this is Navajo Land, so take your chances if you want to spend the night.

I'll repeat what I said above. While the last 6 miles is rough, as long as you are not in a rush and will take the 45 minutes or so to drive the 6 miles there is no reason why you would damage your RV. Lots of 30-35' MH's, 5th wheels and smaller RV's drive it each year. We did drive there in our 29' Winnebago. Just don't drive it if it is wet!

There were a couple of 35' gas Class A MH's, several 22' to 30' Class C's several travel trailers, a couple of 32' to 35' 5th wheels in the CG while we were there. Granted there were more tents, class B's and vans than the larger RV's I listed, but there is no real problem if you go slow.

To me taking your time to enjoy learning about the park and history of the people is the main reason to go. It is difficult to do that by rushing in for 6 hours and then leaving.

I love when we use GPS coordinates, I don't know how our "For Fathers" made it with out them?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Hi,

I love when we use GPS coordinates, I don't know how our "For Fathers" made it with out them?

To say nothing of our "Four Mothers" ;-)

Seriously, GPS coordinates rock, specially when they come in the best format ever, ie fully decimal WGS84 latitude/longitude (+999.99999 / -999.99999). Minutes/seconds fraction craziness should have died with the Babylonians that started them... To say nothing of non-standard geodes and UTM stuff... :-/

Thanks for the convenient coordinates, Al Florida. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Hi,

To say nothing of our "Four Mothers" ;-)

Seriously, GPS coordinates rock, specially when they come in the best format ever, ie fully decimal WGS84 latitude/longitude (+999.99999 / -999.99999). Minutes/seconds fraction craziness should have died with the Babylonians that started them... To say nothing of non-standard geodes and UTM stuff... :-/

Thanks for the convenient coordinates, Al Florida. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

You are welcome. Finding Angel Peak and Chaco Canyon on some maps has been difficult so GPS really comes in handy.

I also find just using the decimal GPS is much easier than all the minutes/seconds as well.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

You are welcome. Finding Angel Peak and Chaco Canyon on some maps has been difficult so GPS really comes in handy.

I also find just using the decimal GPS is much easier than all the minutes/seconds as well.

Whatever "your" GPS is set for is the easiest to use. :lol:

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Whatever "your" GPS is set for is the easiest to use. :lol:

Newt

I guess what you mean by "your GPS" is some sort of GPS device. So I guess it would make sense to use whatever the device is set up for.

I don't use a specialized GPS device. I use Google Earth, Delorme Street Atlas, Delorme Topo and Google Maps on my smart phone. I find the decimal easiest to use however I think these will take whatever format is available.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I guess what you mean by "your GPS" is some sort of GPS device. So I guess it would make sense to use whatever the device is set up for.

I don't use a specialized GPS device. I use Google Earth, Delorme Street Atlas, Delorme Topo and Google Maps on my smart phone. I find the decimal easiest to use however I think these will take whatever format is available.

then, it's not a problem.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

• 2 months later...

I was a CG host at Chaco for two years. Saw some pretty big rigs get in there that I would never have tried. Be aware that if you happen to get in there and then there's heavy rains, you might not get back out when you planned. Even on the "good" road off 550 there is a wash that can turn into a raging river after heavy rains.

I've been involved in evacuating the CG there - TWICE! When you see those floods it gives you an understanding of how the Ancestral Puebloans grew corn there 1000 years ago.

Best bet is to avoid the monsoonal season on the Colorado Plateau (late July & August). It's hot as h$&@l there anyway at that time of year.

I was a CG host at Chaco for two years. Saw some pretty big rigs get in there that I would never have tried. Be aware that if you happen to get in there and then there's heavy rains, you might not get back out when you planned. Even on the "good" road off 550 there is a wash that can turn into a raging river after heavy rains.

I've been involved in evacuating the CG there - TWICE! When you see those floods it gives you an understanding of how the Ancestral Puebloans grew corn there 1000 years ago.

Best bet is to avoid the monsoonal season on the Colorado Plateau (late July & August). It's hot as h$&@l there anyway at that time of year.

Were you able to evacuate everyone before the rains turned the last 3-4 miles into mud?

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I'm curious ... those times when you helped to evacuate the CG ... was it because the CG itself was flooded, or could campers remain in the CG - if they could dry camp that long in their RVs - and then leave when the roads dried out?

I other words, if you drive into the CG and camp with an RV fully provisioned enough to make it, say, 5 days (with a generator and the adequate FW,GW,BW tank capacities) ... could you then not have any concerns about having to leave the CG if rains came?

I'm curious ... those times when you helped to evacuate the CG ... was it because the CG itself was flooded, or could campers remain in the CG - if they could dry camp that long in their RVs - and then leave when the roads dried out?

I other words, if you drive into the CG and camp with an RV fully provisioned enough to make it, say, 5 days (with a generator and the adequate FW,GW,BW tank capacities) ... could you then not have any concerns about having to leave the CG if rains came?

While I'm not the camp host who originally commented about the evacuations, here are my thoughts having visited Chaco Canyon.

First I really loved the National Park. Great hiking, excellent guided and self guided walks. In October we had great weather. Warm comfortable afternoons and cool to chilly nights and mornings.

An additional plus, generator operation is limited to a couple of hours in the morning and in the afternoon, so you don't have the aggravating noise of someone running a generator for hours on end.

About the rain and access to the park.

The last 6 miles of the road into the park from US-550 is clay dirt.

There is a dry wash which will flood in heavy rains, but usually will be passable within 6-24 hours.

However there are couple of sections which just turn into deep mud you don't want to drive ANY vehicle on until it dries out.

IMG_3940%20Medium_zpszu5ivj2x.jpg

If you have several hours of rain, or repeated rains which turns these sections of road into mud, you won't be able to leave until it dries out. That may take much more than 4-5 days depending on the weather.

In the monsoon season you may get repeated showers with enough water to keep the road wet for a week or two, or three.

Slip off the side of this road and no one is going to pull you out until it dries out.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Archived