LastPass brings free password management to all your devices

RV_

I am all for free and like when I bought six Malwarebytes Premium licenses for life, After using a free program/utility/app for years, I sometimes pay for the premium version upgrades if they offer me a useful/needed feature.

I have my own password management scheme, but have waited until there was one I could use with all my systems - my main computer, my Windows phone, and my tablets. The app for both the phones and the desktop/tablets are there and they just decided to allow free users to sync across all their devices. It even appears, but I am not saying this as confirmed fact yet, that it would sync across mixed systems like Apple iPads and/or phones but Windows desktops, or Apple desktops/laptops and Windows tablets et al. In other word if there is a LastPass app for your device, it looks like it will sync across them.

With all the hacks and infections going on, I believe I will get one for my SH and another free version for me. Then when a company I do biz with gets hacked, I can change it easily, and on all devices.

Excerpt:

"The company's free password manager is no longer locked to only one device you own.

LastPass now allows users to set up password vaults across multiple devices and browsers for free.

On November 2, the password management company said that starting today, LastPass has upgraded the firm's free solution to include synchronization to multiple devices.

While users have always been able to use certain features for free -- such as password generation, secure notes, automatic saving, and password filling on one device -- this information can now be spread across any internet-connected device, which was once a premium-only feature.

Launched in 2008, Fairfax, Virginia-based LastPass offers password management solutions to both consumers and the enterprise. Catering to millions of users worldwide, the firm's ultimate goal is to make security less of a chore by offering software which stores complex passwords and auto-fills them for you -- without you needing to remember long strings of complex characters for your online accounts.

The update is available immediately on multiple devices and browsers."

There is more in the article with links to LastPass etc. here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/lastpass-brings-free-password-management-to-all-your-devices/?ftag=TRE49e8aa0&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Been using LastPass for a couple of years. It is the easiest to use out the ones I have tried.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I've been using LastPass on my computer and Android phones for several years. IMO it's a lifesaver because I can use multiple complex passwords on different sites without having to remember everything.

My key suggestion is a practical one. I use a unique complex password as the Master PW for LastPass itself. Neither that PW nor any combination of it is used for any of my other PW-protected sites. In reality, that's the only PW that I have to memorize!

Also, with my phone I use 2-factor authentication using the Google Authenticator app. That way if there phone were to be lost or stolen the thief would have to have not just the LastPass Master PW but would also have to access the Authenticator. Hopefully, by then I would have erased the phone and locked it.

With my laptop I use 2-factor authentication but I allow the computer to remain authorized for 30 days at a time.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

What happens with these types of services when they get hacked? Just curious, not implying any imminent threat. Seems like a company could become a target as they get big enough.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

What happens with these types of services when they get hacked? Just curious, not implying any imminent threat. Seems like a company could become a target as they get big enough.

LastPass did have a security breach this year and they provided detailed instructions as to what to change. We have had no problems from that hack.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

LastPass does not store your master password on their servers, it is stored locally. In effect giving encryption from the device to them and back.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks guys,

I am glad to know no one has locked themselves out of their own vault. :lol:

Paul, I just found another picture host but was paying 99 cents a month to have photo bucket with no ads, and that is about to change too. Flikr looks much better. No ads, free hosting for more than I need.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I am glad to know no one has locked themselves out of their own vault. :lol:

That's why I use a unique PW used nowhere else. I can't afford to get it mixed up with anything else. Potential users should understand that there's no recovery from forgetting your master password.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Joel,

I know that, and am considering a five word phrase that makes no sense like:

Heavenmarbles23skidoohardsunsetsviolent!

or

I am switching to Apple ;):D

Seriously though the first example of random words strung together are harder to break than most hard to remember ones according to the latest IT advice.

I used to make then up with all kinds of punctuation and caps and numbers but they were impossible to remember.

Ilabitmwmf12coc! = I like a banana in the morning with my first 12 cups of coffee! Is easier to remember for me.

Thanks for the info.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived