Chains. Who carries them?

Jeff.Sloan

How many of you carry chains for your HDT? Looking at a cheap used chain box and wondering if I should bother carrying chains or not.

Jeff

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

How many of you carry chains for your HDT? Looking at a cheap used chain box and wondering if I should bother carrying chains or not.

Jeff

I would say it depends on where and when you drive. I don't carry them because I stay away from deep-snow country.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Carry cheap cable type, strictly to be legal in the mountain passes. If I have to use them, shame on me.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I try VERY HARD to stay in 50+ temperatures. If you are in snow you are doing something wrong.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Carry cheap cable type, strictly to be legal in the mountain passes. If I have to use them, shame on me.

x2. It will not hurt my feelings if I never have to use them.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

We bought a set never plan to use them. In some mountain passes you are required to carry them. $100 to not worry if I get asked if I have chains....yep.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

I carry a set for the truck, and used to carry a set for the trailer (before the bigger trailers). All trucks are required to carry chains in Colorado during winter months, or you can be fined. I hope I never have to hang iron, but I have them in case.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

I carry a set as well simply because we often go through Colorado in spring and fall. No intention of ever using them though!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

All trucks are required to carry chains in Colorado during winter months, or you can be fined. I hope I never have to hang iron, but I have them in case.

I do not have an HDT but follow this forum to learn as I might have in the future. This thread raised an interesting question as a Colorado resident. COMMERCIAL vehicles of certain classes are absolutely required to carry chains on the I-70 corridor for specified times of year, but chain laws can actually be invoked any time of year by CSHP or CDOT depending on road conditions. Randy beat me to the question, for those of you whose trucks are registered as MH or other RV types. Do the rules apply or would you simply prefer not have to try to argue about it?

I quoted the rules below and noticed one thing. Cables are not allowed on single drive axle trucks.

Colorado

Colorado's chain law applies to every state highway, federal highway and interstate throughout the state. The chain law is in effect when drivers are notified by roadside signs. You can also call 511. Truckers will need chains for the four tires of the drive axle to be in compliance when it's time to throw iron. There is no requirement to carry extra chains or cables.

Truckers traveling specifically on I-70 between mile marker 133 in Dotsero County and mile marker 259 in Morrison County must carry sufficient chains to be in compliance from Sept. 1 through May 31. The state provides 21 chain-up locations along the I-70 corridor. If you get busted without chains on this stretch of road, you will be fined $50 plus a $16 surcharge.

If you violate Colorado's chain law, you'd better be ready to pay. You can be fined $500, plus a $78 surcharge, for not putting on chains when required. If you block the roadway because you didn't chain up when the law was in effect, you can be dinged with a $1,000 fine, plus a $156 surcharge.

There are two levels of the chain law:

Level 1 - Single drive axle, combination commercial vehicles must chain up all four drive tires. Cables are not allowed in this instance. All other commercial vehicles must have either snow tires or chains to proceed.

Level 2 - Chains are required for all commercial vehicles. Again, all four tires of single-drive tractors must be chained. For dual-drive axle tractors, you're only required to chain four drive tires. Outside tires of drive axles must have chains. Inside tires may have cables.

Chains or cables?

The short answer is that you have a lot of options in Colorado. The following are the approved devices, along with any design specifications and/or any restrictions on the use of the devices:

• Metal chains must consist of two circular metal loops, one on each side of the tire, connected by at least nine evenly spaced loops across the tread. Dual tire chains are acceptable.
  • Wheel sanders must carry enough sand to get the vehicle through the restricted area;
  • Automatic chains that spin under the drive wheels automatically as traction is lost;
  • Textile traction device, a fabric boot that encompasses the tire.

Currently, the only textile device that has been approved for use on Colorado highways is the AutoSock.

Cables are allowed in only two instances: if they are made with steel cross member rollers of 0.415 inches or greater in diameter (and even those can't be used on single drive axle tractors) or they can be used on tires where chains are not already required.

The Colorado regulations actually give the Colorado Department of Transportation and the Highway Patrol the power to dictate when chain laws go into effect. The regulations only address design and placement.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Chalkie, I believe in this case, I would follow the rules set for the commercial crowd. Referring to the rule of "If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, moves like a duck, then it must be a duck", I wouldn't attempt to argue a safety issue like carrying chains even if you never need them.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

All of the laws I have seen requiring chains be carried on I70 in Colorado specifically apply to commercial vehicles and define what a commercial vehicle is. The laws go on to define what is required when the chain law is activated and how these apply to all vehicles.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I carry and use a set of good quality singles, I have used them in summer after much rain, and winter for obvious reasons.

They are very helpful in getting you to where you want to go....

DSCF0090_zpsa068cbcd.jpg

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Colorado isn't the only place with mountain passes, and chain laws. In fact, it's the least of my worries most years.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yep got chains in the box, all year. I get them out once a year (NOT to polish them) to check there condition. If you travel the mountains..... all vehicles could be required to have chains. I never leave with out a load of antifreeze (for me) so I can to set and let the weather pass. And yes I have set for a few days several times. B) OU812

Our long time home is in Glendale, Arizona, so we go home before the snows arrive in the Pacific Northwest. I don't own chains but I have had the truck struggle with traction on level wet grass. It lacks a locking differential and will happily spin one wheel as long as the fuel holds out. I am grateful that I can plan our migrations around the weather and never have to drive in ice and snow. My hat goes off to the OTR truckers who, at some point during the winter, have to get out and chain up the inner and outer drive wheels, sometimes over and over. Cold, strenuous and dirty work.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Chains required here in BC from Oct 1 to March 31. For pickups and cars winter tires required.There are roadside checks with the police just out of town and have been through 2 already.

Carry a set of new singles, used triples and cables for the trailer. Hope to NEVER use them but I travel from BC to Arizona usually in January with horses on board. First choice would be to park for a day and wait but not always possible. So far I have not .........won't curse myself and say.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

We carry chains for the HDT. Haven't had to use them yet.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Living in Alaska I carry chains. Have used them in the winter and in the summer(mud). I also have a set of chains for the trailer, for braking and to keep from sliding sideways. Have not had to use those outside of my driveway thou.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived