How long is your...

Av8r3400

...HDTruck!

Yes, just being a little provocative to get you to read my thread. Worked didn't it?

I've been reading and studying HDTs and am seriously considering going this route to pull my 38' 11" (pin to rear bumper) 5er for all the normal reasons, safety, control, etc, etc. Yeah, yeah. Dead horse and all that. I'm sold on the concept.

One thing that still bothers me is overall length. 65' is obviously the magic number. I see many HDT'ers seem to disregard this length restriction and have never had an issue. I'd like to try to stay legal. My DW will sometimes drive this rig solo and I want to avoid any "legal encounters" for her.

Now the questions:

1. How long is your truck, from the front bumper to the 5th wheel pin?
  2. What make and model truck do you have?
  3. Is it singled?
  4. Short, mid or long?
  5. Frame bobbed or lengthened from stock?
  6. What wheelbase?

I'd really like to have a Volvo 730 for the room, but I'm not convinced it will be realistic on the length. I think a 630 may be the better option. Cheaper, too.

Thoughts? Comments? Answers?

Thank you in advance.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

How long is your truck, from the front bumper to the 5th wheel pin?

24 foot.

What make and model truck do you have?

Kenworth T600

Is it singled?

Yes.

Short, mid or long?

I'd say mid

Frame bobbed or lengthened from stock?

Frame bobbed

What wheelbase?

205 inches

Total length, truck and trailer hooked up 60 foot. This is our first and only truck and 5th wheel trailer. Twelve years and counting.

Never have had problems with length. No problems with police, except California and the stupid 55 mph speed law and everyone else can go 65 mph or faster. But I didn't argue with the LEO, they didn't make the stupid law they just have to enforce it.

Good luck on your choice.

I bought my Volvo 42T780 new with a AliArc Moose Front Bumper then drove to TX to have the bed installed. I ordered a single 23K lb rear axle Mid with a 236" wheelbase and 72" overhang, this was a correct choice for us to carry our SMART.

Total length, Bumper to Bumper, is 31'. Maybe subtract 3' from rear bumper to hitch pin.

Pro's & Con's with all the Cabs but in my opinion the 730 or 780 is the only way to go when buying a Volvo.

Love my truck and for me buying new was the right way to go and it has a factory warranty.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I am 30ish ft in length. If you have the large cab and carry a vehicle, it going to be this long. My wheelbase is 230ish. Now a shorter sleeper would allow a shorter wheelbase and truck. The large sleepers are preferred by most. I have never had an issue with length. I am a little over 65'.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My horse trailer is just under 40' and I am 65' with the 2005 Western star singled mid. Did not cut the frame and have a 12' deck. If I remember it has a 244 wheel base. Yea it takes a lot, 6 full lanes for a U turn for just the tractor.The trailer follows well, horse trailers have the axles at almost the rear of the trailer.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

I'm singled mid with a 780 and a smart car. It's been years since I measured it all but I can do a "40ft" trailer (comparing it to the key up of my 36ft'er) and still be legal. You shoulda brought your tape measure to the rally ;)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1. 1. How long is your truck, from the front bumper to the 5th wheel pin?

We have various trailers we tow but our main trailer is a small 30 ft bumper pull toybox rated to 12K (we stay light under 9K most of the time) Front bumper to rear ball hitch is 27 feet with the 12 ft wood flat bed installed or 34 Ft to the ball hitch with the 20 ft Morgan cargo box installed or with the fifth wheel hitch the pin can be anywhere from 24 to 27 ft depending what trailer we decide to hitch to. our longest combo is 64 ft 8 inches overall.

1. 2. What make and model truck do you have? 97 Freightliner Century / M11 Cummins / 370 / 1350/ 10 speed Roadranger/ 3:08 rears

1. 3.Is it singled?

No we remain tandem mostly because single does not work well with our 20 ft Morgan cargo box installed and some of the horse related gear (Hay, Water( 330 gal) tack, etc,) gets too heavy for single ops ....and most of the time we haul a Samurai and Honda Quad in the box as well.

Sometimes it seems that with as much "stuff" that we stuff into the cargo box we might need to install a tag axle....too much stuff...

1. 4. Short, mid or long?

At 252 inches tandem we would be considered mid most likely for tandem.

1. 5.Frame bobbed or lengthened from stock?

We are stock frame with the flatbed installed but we have the 6 inch I-beam cargo box frame setting on top of 6" X 6" oak spacer beams so it is triple framed over the tractor frame then double framed aft of the tractor frame......IF I ever get the time I plan to hang full width basement storage under the oak beams aft of the tractor frame......more storage for more ......stuff

1. 6. What wheelbase? 252 Inches measured center of tandems.

Wifes horse trail riding hobby is pretty stuff-intensive and we only haul one horse (Dolly-the-paint-horse (pet)) but a 1,000 pound pet that drinks 15 to 25 gallons of water and too many pounds of feed EACH day just counts up to a few tons a month hobby so the HDT seems the best solution so far. Most horse-addicted folks carry more horses around but we make up for having one horse by staying gone longer so we pack just as much stuff as too-many-horse-folks......

We do like the ability to haul the Samurai in the cargo box and it works well for our outback woods and desert boondocking trips it is 2 feet longer than a Smartcar and slower in the highway but it is a tough little 4 X 4 that works well for crawling around in the boondocks and town as well. At our wheel base and with full fairing the Dollytrolley is somewhat of a lowrider so we are mindful of humps in the road so we are careful once off the pavement.

Some folks brag about HDT brakes and for RV towing the Jake and service brakes are nice ....but .... the 1/2 second lag in the full application of brake force and the higher weights tend to take some driving habit modifications. The best days are the days when the Jake is 95% of the total braking need for the day.

Works fairly well for our odd RV hobby....

Drive on.......(what trailer .....today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

In response:

One thing that still bothers me is overall length. 65' is obviously the magic number. I see many HDT'ers seem to disregard this length restriction and have never had an issue. I'd like to try to stay legal. My DW will sometimes drive this rig solo and I want to avoid any "legal encounters" for her.

Not all states are the same. MN length limit is 75' which is where we lived when we built our truck. We just moved to SC and I need to find out what theirs is.

Now the questions:

• How long is your truck, from the front bumper to the 5th wheel pin?

24'11" to forward pin location. We have the option to move it rearward another 35" or more when I change to an ET hitch.

• What make and model truck do you have?

Freightliner Century

• Is it singled?

Yes

• Short, mid or long?

Short (we have a large rear overhang)

• Frame bobbed or lengthened from stock?

Shortened by previous owners and Lengthened by us.

• What wheelbase?

206"

I'd really like to have a Volvo 730 for the room, but I'm not convinced it will be realistic on the length. I think a 630 may be the better option. Cheaper, too.

There are many ways to get shorter, smaller cab, cab over, day cab. It all depends on what features you want on the truck, what you plan to haul on the back such as car or bike, and what is available.

Also depends on how your trailer configuration is for pin location and what the distance is to rear of trailer. Our trailer is over 44' long but pin is located under the gooseneck and shortens up the actual length from pin. We are 68'-6" hooked up on paper.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Help me if Im getting this wrong:

For example the VNL64T630 trucks I've seen average 215" wheelbase, which would be where it would wind up singled mid. There is a 60" setback of the front axle and 36" (?) from the rear axle to the pin on an ET Hitch.

60+215+36=311" or 25' 11".

Does that sound accurate?

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

Our 1998 Volvo 610 is singled short at 183" wheelbase. Our overall is 28'. Hitch is a Trailersaver that is mounted over the axle, approx 40" from the rear. Our Carrilite is 38' long, pin is directly under the front edge, making us just shy of 63' hooked up.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Tonight we are overnighting in the fairgrounds RV park in Winnemucca, Nevada and we are in the next to last double end space on the SW end of the park.

If we were over 65 feet long hitched we would have had to unhitch and park the Shaker next to the Toybox but since we are just shy of 65 feet we are able to stay hitched so we can make a quick escape in the morning headed South to Death Valley.

Most big rig space can handle 65 feet overall some space can handle larger but not all.

Drive on..........(65 feet is .....OK ....most of the time)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Help me if Im getting this wrong:

For example the VNL64T630 trucks I've seen average 215" wheelbase, which would be where it would wind up singled mid. There is a 60" setback of the front axle and 36" (?) from the rear axle to the pin on an ET Hitch.

60+215+36=311" or 25' 11".

Does that sound accurate?

No, it doesn't.

Where are you getting the 60" front axle set back dimension from, that seems large? I think it is closer to 52" on a Volvo 630 but depends on what bumper it has (IE moose bar.)

Where did you get the 36" dimension for the hitch to the axle from? This dimension varies and depends on how low you want the hitch, if there is any truck equipment behind the axle that might interfere with hitch and how much space you need on the bed to clear trailer swing during turns.

On our truck when we bought it, hitch was above the axle and only about 12" behind the axle to the pin. Now it is lower between the frame rails and is 50" behind the axle in the forward position.

Dave

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Av8r3400,

I don't know where you are, but here in Washington state 75ft is the maximum truck and trailer length.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

No, it doesn't.

Where are you getting the 60" front axle set back dimension from, that seems large? I think it is closer to 52" on a Volvo 630 but depends on what bumper it has (IE moose bar.)

Where did you get the 36" dimension for the hitch to the axle from? This dimension varies and depends on how low you want the hitch, if there is any truck equipment behind the axle that might interfere with hitch and how much space you need on the bed to clear trailer swing during turns.

On our truck when we bought it, hitch was above the axle and only about 12" behind the axle to the pin. Now it is lower between the frame rails and is 50" behind the axle in the forward position.

Dave

AV8r

The hitch location is a variable from truck to truck. On these HDT's there isn't any rule that says the hitch has to be over the axle like on a regular pickup. Ours is over the axle but not by my choice. I just haven't moved it rearward yet.

On Volvo Trucks, the front axle is in the 51" range from the front of the truck.

http://www.volvotrucks.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/VTNA_Tree/ILF/Products/VN%20Series/Daycab%20-%20VNM/VNM_ss_web.pdf

http://brucknertruck.com/pdf/VolvoLiterature/780.pdf

Scroll down to the specs page.

Keep in mind that the wheel base itself is a variable. The dealer orders it in whatever length the customer wants. There are "Standards" that are used when fleet trucks are ordered though.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thank you all very much for responding to the remedial questions. I try to search for the answers, but sometimes they get hidden in verbiage or not answered in the archived posts.

I stand corrected on the setback distance. Thank you.

The wheelbase figure I gave was just an average from several 630s that I looked at on Commercial Truck Trader and truck paper.

The 36" distance I could swear I saw in one of Greggs videos. Of course I can't find it again, now. This was, I thought, the closest he could get the hitch to the rear of the axle / crossmember / torque arm.

Is there a distance, used a s a standard or minimum, from the rear of the sleeper to the axle when a Smart Deck is used? I pull a toy hauler so I won't probably need it to haul a smart, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner, either.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

But remember that you can build the bed to any length you desire.

Hopefully someone else will correct me if I'm wrong here-

On the ET hitch which is used exclusively by RV Haulers/Gregg, I believe from the rear of the hitch- the rear cross plate-, to the centerline of the hitch head is 36". Greg locates the hitch at the rear of the deck, so in essence, the hitch is 36" from the back of the bed. Henry -aka Phoenix- here has all those dimensions.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I pull a toy hauler so I won't probably need it to haul a smart, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner, either.

We also pull a toy hauler. Putting the smart on the bed will allow us to haul.....toys. :P

That said, right now the smart is parked in the rear of the camper, and the toys are home, in the garage, patiently awaiting for my sorry butt to install chocks and such on the bed so everything will fit.

We like to take motorcycles, but we also are olde phartes, so the smart is our go-to ride when the weather is bad.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

But remember that you can build the bed to any length you desire.

Hopefully someone else will correct me if I'm wrong here-

On the ET hitch which is used exclusively by RV Haulers/Gregg, I believe from the rear of the hitch- the rear cross plate-, to the centerline of the hitch head is 36". Greg locates the hitch at the rear of the deck, so in essence, the hitch is 36" from the back of the bed. Henry -aka Phoenix- here has all those dimensions.

I believe the hitch pin is about 10-12" from the rear of the hitch. That's what it looks like in recent pictures that Phoenix posted in the thread about reworking the first generation ET hitches. I know I have seen the dimensions somewhere, just can't find them now.

Dave

I believe the hitch pin is about 10-12" from the rear of the hitch. That's what it looks like in recent pictures that Phoenix posted in the thread about reworking the first generation ET hitches. I know I have seen the dimensions somewhere, just can't find them now.

Dave

Yes it is, Thanks for that correction. I have a 36" measurement on my trailer saver from something I was figuring out earlier.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived