Yet another option for WiFi boosting....?

This unit looks very interesting. The reviews suggest it is extremely easy to set up. No need to access set up through a computer. Simply use front touch panel.

Amped Wireless TAP-EX2

http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/tap-ex2.html

Wireless Standard: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Frequency Band: 2.4GHz & 5GHz Wireless Speed: 2.4GHz: 300Mbps (Rx), 300Mbps (Tx)
5GHz: 433Mbps (Rx), 433Mbps (Tx) Amplifiers:

2 x 2.4GHz Amplifiers
1 x 5GHz Amplifier
3 x Low Noise Amplifiers Wireless Security: WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Mixed, WPS Wireless Access Scheduling: Specific day & time Wireless Coverage Control:
15% - 100% Output Power
(Adjustable individually for 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks) Antennas:
1 x Detachable High Gain Antenna
1 x Internal High Gain Antenna Ports:
3 x RJ-45 10/100 (LAN) Ports
1 x USB 2.0 Port Power Adapter Rating: Switching Adapter (Input: 100-240v, Output: 12v, 1A) Mounting: Wall or Desktop Stand Warranty: 1 Year Setup Requirements: Wireless 802.11b/g/n or ac 2.4GHz or 5GHz Network Package Contents:

High Power Touch Screen AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Stylus
Detachable High Gain Antenna
Power Adapter (100-240v)
Setup Guide
CD: Users Guide & Installation Video
Product Stand

My question is the ability to use an outside, omni directional antenna......Can it be done and any suggestion on an aux antenna?

Amazon.com has a bundle with this ALFA antenna:

Alfa Long-Range Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter w/2x 5dBi External Antennas - 2.4GHz 300Mbps / 5Ghz 867Mbps - 802.11ac & A, B, G, N

https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Long-Range-Dual-Band-Wireless-External/dp/B00MX57AO4/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CY82P94V0XA7BBYC3GHD

Thanks in advance

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I've not tested that device, but in general, interior extenders do not really meet the performance needs of RV park wifi capture. Yes, you may be able to add an external antenna, but the issue is that you will have a LOT of signal attenuation with the antenna distances you have to run in most RVs to get it to the exterior roof.

In a house this may work well. In SOME RV park situations it may work OK. In most it will not, IMO. Again, my opinion is based on experience...not testing of this specific device.

The Alpha device you list is not an "antenna". It is a USB-attached radio. It will replace the wifi adaptor in a SINGLE computer. And probably outperform it....in fact more than probably - in 95% of the cases (a guess) it will outperform an integrated laptop radio. But for only that laptop.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack...I'm always looking for the latest and greatest but easy to use WiFi repeaters. I currently have the ALFA 36 with the external "Booster Tube" USB antenna permanently mounted in the RV. Works good but the software and set-up is cumbersome. I have friend that struggle with email and want a WiFi booster and this setup is too complicated.

Next I went with Ubiquiti system that David Botts "Outside Our Bubble" Bubble. For under $100 it is a great WiFi booster and once the initial setup is completed, it is very easy to use. I take it with me in my luggage on business trips and use it in hotels where the WiFi is weak or to access McDonalds, Starbucks, etc from a perkinglot or a hotel with no or poor WiFi.

This TAP-EX2 looked like the simplest to use by far. I was hoping with an outdoor, omni directional antenna, it would be the answer for the non technical folks. It has a USB port, but I imagine that doesn't mean it could be used with the Booster Tube USB antenna????

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived