wiper issue

GlennWest

Drove my Truck to work last week due to Smart being totaled (different post) and morning fog on windshield need wipers. They came on but wouldn't go off. After I shut down truck, they shut down. Is this a simple switch change? I haven't used them enough to really understand how the switch works. Really didn't have any control over them. They just ran at a speed and nothing else. No faster or immediate speed.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Drove my Truck to work last week due to Smart being totaled (different post) and morning fog on windshield need wipers. They came on but wouldn't go off. After I shut down truck, they shut down. Is this a simple switch change? I haven't used them enough to really understand how the switch works. Really didn't have any control over them. They just ran at a speed and nothing else. No faster or immediate speed.

Have you checked to see if your wiper motor was on the recall list? Contact Volvo and give them your VIN to check if had been replaced.

Why call Volvo on a Freightliner problem? Did I miss something?

Glenn, ..........welcome to Shaker-ville....

Remember, Portland Oregon is the birth place of shakers and it ........RAINS....in Portland....a LOT.

When I question my Nephew Josh who is a Engineer at the Portland Shaker engineering office about the MULTI-fUnCtIoN shaker switch he starts laughing and grinning and says "oh-yee-lowly-driver"....you have know Idea how many features are "programed" into the tiny switch".

He grins about a story of a out of work truck driver that steals a Freightshaker at a truck stop and it was raining so he turns on the wipers and a few miles down the road it stops raining so he reaches over to turn the wipers off.....they pause and then come back on ....he turns them off they pause and then the turn on again so a hundred miles later he pulls into a truck stop and steals a VOLV0 .....just so he could drive around in the dry with out the wipers on.

So you see Glenn the Freightshaker wiper switch is really a Covert .....anti-theft device.....that also sorta runs the wipers.

My wife considers the Shaker wiper switch as a entertainment device as I run the wipers she notes the mileage that the rain stops then she records the mileage that the Shaker finally decides to stop running the wipers ( 78 miles longest and 21 miles shortest).......

Josh the engineer Nephew starts to explain the features and MULTI-fUnCtIoNs of the switch but my eyes glaze-over.......

Perhaps Rocky suggestion of getting a VOLV0 switch and then you just turn the wipers off and on has some merit....

When I complain to Josh about the switch he smiles and says ....."well look at the VOLV0 Otto self driving truck video so you see in the near future the rigs won't need wipers because we will get rid of those pesky drivers that complain about everything......"

Rocky and rpsinc might have a point ............

Drive on........(Better have wipers running in the sunshine than..... no wipers in the .....rain)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The switch in the Argosy is the same as any Century Class/Columbia. Top portion controls on - low or high speed, lower portion is the intermittant function, lift up for start function, push down repeatedly to decrease interval time between swipes. Oh yes, pushing on the lower portion also causes the window washer to function for a set amount of time and swipe a pre determined number of times.

In other words very complicated and small for such an important set of functions. In order to cancel almost any function to off I have to touch the upper switch to fast on and then to off. It has been that way since new. I suspect that switch is tied to several relays on the right side of the instrument panel.

Trying to get used to it under the usual worst conditions, raining etc. is a challenge.

Dolly Trolley: relay a message to the engineer. Next time they design an Argosy, put a decent set of wiper arms with sufficient spring pressure to effect effective water or ice/snow removal. The wind plays hell with them.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Ok, armed with this info, I tried it out today. Wiper on off switch does nothing. Delay part of switch works when toggled. Speed and all. With no off function it continues until truck switched off. I did have that panel off a few weeks ago to redo my camera screen mount. It may be partially unplugged. Will check next day off before buying switch.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The switch in the Argosy is the same as any Century Class/Columbia. Top portion controls on - low or high speed, lower portion is the intermittant function, lift up for start function, push down repeatedly to decrease interval time between swipes. Oh yes, pushing on the lower portion also causes the window washer to function for a set amount of time and swipe a pre determined number of times.

In other words very complicated and small for such an important set of functions. In order to cancel almost any function to off I have to touch the upper switch to fast on and then to off. It has been that way since new. I suspect that switch is tied to several relays on the right side of the instrument panel.

Trying to get used to it under the usual worst conditions, raining etc. is a challenge.

Dolly Trolley: relay a message to the engineer. Next time they design an Argosy, put a decent set of wiper arms with sufficient spring pressure to effect effective water or ice/snow removal. The wind plays hell with them.

Jeff, indeed ......forget backing triples into New York City back ally docks.....it takes a pro trucker to master the Shaker Wiper MuLtIFuNcTiOn switch thanks for sharing a +Million Miles of shaker wiper ordeals....Obviously a howling blizzard at night is the total- immersion method best suited to searing the Shaker wiper ops procedure into a aspiring-wana-bee-pro-road-warror memory......

Just as a reminder how the Shaker Engineers advise us owners to operate the wipers I have pasted the procedure(s) below........

Windshield Wiper/Washer Controls
The wipers are operated by a double-paddle WIPER/
WASH switch mounted on the auxiliary instrument
panel. The top paddle, when pushed in, turns the
wipers on (if they are off) or off (if they are on).
When it is pushed up, the top paddle switches the
wipers to high speed; when it is pushed down, it
switches them to low speed.
The bottom paddle, when pushed in, turns the
washers on. When pressed for less than 1/2-second (500 m/sec),
the wipers will perform a single, low speed dry wipe
(mist function). When pressed for more than 1/2-
second (500 m/sec), the wash cycle begins and continues for
three cycles or until the paddle is released. When the
bottom paddle is pushed up, the wipers operate in
fast delay. When the bottom paddle is pushed down,
the wipers operate in slow delay. With the wipers in
delay mode (fast or slow), push the bottom paddle
up to shorten the delay period or push the paddle

down to lengthen it.

Now children in case you are wondering ........maybe Chuck Yeager is a fair pilot but NO one saddles up a Shaker for the first time and wows the chick by mastering the Shaker wiper switch.......

Jeff when you typed:

"I suspect that switch is tied to several relays on the right side of the instrument panel."

I suspect that the actual controls that operate the Shaker wipers are being hacked by the Ruskies .........you know that same hackers that are gaming the upcoming election......

At the Lazy-B airliner shop in Seattle they have a acronym...... I B U.....Improved Beyond Use........fits this Shaker switch to a tee.....

Drive on..............( did I push the wiper paddle switch 489 m/sec or......513 m/sec????)

P S Jeff, I'll pass on your wiper arm ordeal to Shaker engineering.......but it's likely that engineering has never had the wiper arm problem .....they are just trying the get the wiper thingy turned ON (if they are OFF) or......Turned OFF (if they were ON)........

And these are the folks are honing the design of the self-driving-truck.........GULP

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Man, I had forgotten how intense learning those FL wipers were....And I thought the paddle shifters were mystifying..... :(

I've only driven a Cascadia one time, and not in rain. Are they still like that, or have they been "improved"??

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Man, I had forgotten how intense learning those FL wipers were....And I thought the paddle shifters were mystifying..... :(

I've only driven a Cascadia one time, and not in rain. Are they still like that, or have they been "improved"??

Jack,

Indeed, just like a Brit motor-scooter with Lucas Non-Elec.........you best just pull the ole Shaker over and and take a nap when ever you encounter any precip.......

They say in a few years we they will have retrofit kits to make our trucks self driving .....with the self-driven-Shaker I won't need wipers at all......switch learning curve solved.

Drive on.........(drive in the sunshine ....only)

Table/printable version if it helps someone (page 2):

http://gtdev.com/products/spec_wiper.pdf

Thanks, Scrap for another set of instructions on how to "PROGRAM" the Shaker wipers......

I have a never-used heads-up-display somewhere in my airplane junk pile from a defunct aero-project and I was thinking about hooking it up to the wiper switch so that it could display the wiper OP instructions on the windshield but........the windshield is not big enough, the wipers distract reading the display and the 400 hz AC power supply makes more noise than the M11 engine......

So Scrap......so since this "device" is not a Shaker "OME-home-brewed-device" .....does......this mean that certain "other" tractors might be infected with this device? ? ?

Come on Scrap.........what other truckers are driving around in the sunshine wearing out the wiper blades ? ? ?

Drive on.........(the plot thickens.....)

You guys crack me up! I have tried to "no" end to get you "involved" with AccessFreightliner so you would know everything you need to know about "your" truck and how to use the features.

But now you ask ( no pun intended, Scrap) a Volvo or a Paccar guy for answers?

Wow! I give up....??

I guess I'm the type to use mapping, then to stop at each gas station to ask direction? Just sayin....

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

You guys crack me up! I have tried to "no" end to get you "involved" with AccessFreightliner so you would know everything you need to know about "your" truck and how to use the features.

But now you ask ( no pun intended, Scrap) a Volvo or a Paccar guy for answers?

Wow! I give up....?

I guess I'm the type to use mapping, then to stop at each gas station to ask direction? Just sayin....

Curt

Right on Curt......u bee da man...

Your right on about Shaker Access, it's a gold mine of info, AND the wiper "PROGRAMING" instructions are in access ........However I am sure that somewhere there are written "INSTRUCTIONS" on how to ride a bicycle but for the fist "attempt" to ride a bicycle you best respect that bar that you have to straddle ........"INSTRUCTIONS" are nice but not the same as........."experience".

Shucks Curt not only do I have FL Access, but I also have .....access to a Nephew Shaker engineer so even with the "Inside-Source" I still have plenty of "entertainment" "PROGRAMING" my Shaker wipers / washers / and whatever the wiper command-center controls ....control.

Now I suspect that a few K-boppers and V-ho owners might just sneak out and purchase a FL-wiper-control-switch just so that they also can have something to do other than sit in a boring old truck without much to do on showery days......obvious case of wiper envy.....

Keep up the good work Curt......don't give up..... Shaker owners need all the help we can get....

Drive on.......(lets see where is that wiper program.....today)

I don't care how much information is in DTNA Connect, which I have access to. Something as important as windshield wiper controls should be totally intuitive, no written instructions needed. It is a poor design. Don't even think about trying to use them with gloves on.

The cruise control, an item of convienience, not necessity uses 2 separate switches, with a full sized paddle to adjust speed. The wiper controls should have used 2 full sized paddles for its functions.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived