Full-timing in a TT?

kb0zke

Excel (Peterson Industries) has gone out of business but they made a really nice 33 ft travel trailer for a couple of yrs. Here is a link to one for sale. It's heavy tho.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Excel---Peterson-WINSLOW-31RLE-119289017

There is still a support center for Excels in Kansas, and also an Owners group that posts on another website.( irv2.com)

2009 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot C32BL 5er,

2018 Ford F350 Srw diesel. Curt 20Q slider hitch

Lewisburg, Tn.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been full timing for three years in a 2005 20ft Sunline. I am sure it was never meant to be a full time rig but it has been remarkably trouble free except for the usual minor things.

Personally I like the older rigs, I think they were better made. I would look at older Artic Fox, Nash and I love the Bigfoot. Older Holiday Ramblers also. Older Komforts made by Komfort before being acquired by Dutchman.
The Escape and Olivers are wonderful too but quite small

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd.
"All who wander are not lost"

We owned a couple of Airstreams-28' and a 31'. Nice but as has been priviously stated limited storage. Had a 2013 Flagstaff with front Kitchen 32'...loved the layout but build quality would not stand up to full time use. We currently have a 2016 Arctic Fox 28F with onboard Onan generator and 160 watts of solar. We spent 125 days in it last year and are just getting ready to head south until mid May then head north to the Black Hills in time for summer camping season. Hopefully 250 plus days in the travel trailer. Love the layout, love the size which lets us set up in most forest service campgrounds.

I don't care what they say about full time, if I find a trailer I like, I'll live in it full time. We are looking now, wanting something a bit bigger than our '98 Aerolite that is only 7' wide. No slide. I really don't like slides, but maybe they've gotten better over the years and won't leak or break down so much now. Must have manual way to retract though! And, be able to totally use the trailer with slide in! That's very important. I like the Outdoors RV brand, Northern Whatever it is, Bigfoot, and I really LOVE the LilSnoozy, a brand I just found. The man who thought LilSnoozy design was right on in my opinion! Cassette toilet, no ridiculous roof air, all fiberglass, a great little trailer. Just too small. I could live in one by myself, but Ethyl needs a spot. My main problem with Outdoors RV si they have so many different models it'll make ye old head spin!! Whew, they need to simplify.

That old man, he don't think like no old man.

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major

"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."

• 1 month later...

I think that the Travel Trailer is the best way to go Full Timing. When I first started looking into this I found out that there are very few TT's that had what I wanted. Mainly, I wanted to use my truck bed for things other than pulling a 5er. I also wanted the same storage as a 5er and a generator. Not an easy task. I used the RV Consumer guide for an unbiased opinion of manufacturers and purchased a new 2015 Excel/Peterson 33IKE. This unit has a step up bedroom like a 5er with 120 cubic ft. of storage in the forward 1/3 of the TT. It has a 6500W Onan LP generator and a MS2812 Magnum Inverter with a 675 amp hour battery bank. It has 2 large hydraulic slides in the rear half and 2 smaller electric slides in the front bedroom. It has a washer/dryer and is very roomy. It has two 8,000 lb. MorRyde "IS" Suspension axles and is rated at 18,500 GVWR. It also has large holding tanks. It is on the heavy side for a TT, however, a DRW 3500 truck can tow it just fine with a weight distribution hitch. We just sold our last business and just took delivery of our New Horizons TT which we had built to the same floor plan only one foot longer. It is also 7,000 lbs. heavier, higher and has 2 steps up and a little more storage. It also cost over twice as much as the Excel which we are now going to sell. I think that larger TT's are soon going to be on the market for all of the people that want to use their truck beds and still have all of the advantages of a 5er. The hitch is no problem. Torklift makes a 30,000 lb. capacity receiver that can have 3,000 lbs. of tongue weight. If you are going to pull a heavy trailer no matter if it is a 5er or a TT you need a truck that can handle it. Until the other TT manufacturers catch up with the truck builders you will have to keep looking or have a new one custom built.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

My solution to finding a TT with a floor plan I liked, with lots of storage & a great cc

was to buy a Toy Hauler. I do not haul toys, but I do haul my 'stuff'. Lots of things

I wanted to bring that make me happy - I refuse to subscribe to the idea that you

can't bring this or that....from those who didn't bring this or that.

Other reasons I like my Travel Trailer TH is that it's not nearly as tall as a 5er,

there are no steps except for entry and they start close to the ground. I have a

ramp that can be made into a patio, a built in generator and a gas tank for said

generator. There is not a solid wall between the garage and living area - it's

a plexi glass sliding door that I keep open except when traveling.

I'm at North Ranch and will do the smart weigh soon...so I can see how much

more 'stuff' I can add....

Anybody heard or have opinions about Grand Designs trailers? https://www.granddesignrv.com/

Yes. The company is relatively new started by former executives from Keystone. They have a good reputation. I know a gal who has their TT called "Imagine" 2650MK (the company's lightweight TT) very nice interior and she has no problems except for an imbalance in one of the slides that the dealer took care of with no problems. I would look at one although I would look at insulation and weight since its a "Lightweight"

And as I recall the CCC was low for the size

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd.
"All who wander are not lost"

Anybody heard or have opinions about Grand Designs trailers? https://www.granddesignrv.com/

We've been full-time in a Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel since August of 2015 - doing well. Search the forum and you'll find several threads on them. Also, there is a very active GD owers' forum (not connected to Grand Design) with some great folks on it who will be honest:

http://www.granddesignowners.com/forum/forum.php

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Yes. The company is relatively new started by former executives from Keystone. They have a good reputation. I know a gal who has their TT called "Imagine" 2650MK (the company's lightweight TT) very nice interior and she has no problems except for an imbalance in one of the slides that the dealer took care of with no problems. I would look at one although I would look at insulation and weight since its a "Lightweight"

And as I recall the CCC was low for the size

The Imagine travel trailers are not built nor intended for full-timing... although I'm sure there are people who do. The Solitude fifth wheels, Momentum toy haulers, and Reflection fifth wheels and travel trailers are much better suited.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Archived