Alternator

Wrknrvr

A few years ago I replaced the alternator because the bearings were loose. Bought a rebuilt unit at Napa and installed it.

But after having it on for about two weeks and notice it is not putting out more than 13.1 or so volts I started to think about it.

After checking it out with a volt/ amp meter and not happy with it drove truck to napa store. That was maybe 4 years ago. They got another alternator to replace it. Better but not what it should be......?

So last week I was checking the truck out for ou winter travels. It is not charging but maybe 12.9 volts but is putting out like 20 amps. Call Wilson that rebuilt it. They say clean connections so everything is clean.

Now I noticed wh calling Wilson they answer DB electronics I think.

I am starting to wonder. Who are these guys.

Yesterday the batteries are at 10.6 volts. Now what is going on. Charge the batteries and start the truck.

The alternator is not charging. 12.6 volts, no amp output. Call who are these guys again. Not Good.

So now after talking to parts people, Volvo and the net.

New Delco unit 500 bucks plus

Rebuilt 300 plus.

Now take the old unit off.

Remember who are these guys. Rebuilt unit does not have a leech Neville or Delco tag on it. Nor does it have holes where there was a name tag on it.

With searching the net it seams like there are a lot of copied units out there. Mine included.

Now with some searching on the net it may be possible to adjust the voltage setting on a real USA made unit. Or old school style alternators as the normal names indicate.

Now I did remove the alternator yesterday and did not see any adjustable spots on the nock off unit.

The second guy at Who are these guys did not have much to say when I asked him about it being adjustable.

But the first guy at who are these guys said there is a place to adjust a rebuilt unit. Possible rebuilt Delco

The adjustable one I bet is a rebuilt Delco, but the guy that thought it was not adjustable I am pretty sure thinking it was one of those from over the pond type things. It probably needs a voltage regulator, but it takes a Wilson regulator. Not a Delco

So now what. I really could use some help on this subject.

I am working today, but will stop at a NAPa store in Polson Montana on my way to work. And see if they will take the AITA card. Kalispell NAPA will not give any discounts.

215' of mud to get to pavement and on the road. Here we sit and cannot leave. Will be here till Wednesday when the weather is suppose to be better.

For those in the warm sun enjoy it. Vern

Up date on subject.

Removed old alternator, remove regulator and there was a part number. That number is not found on the net. Nor does it help at any auto parts store.

With looking on line there are some cheap alternator units out there but we need to go and not deal with a problem on the road. I hope.

So there was one 20 miles away at a Napa so a rebuilt Wilson it is. No truck repair places had a new or rebuilt units for several days.

So with the newly rebuilt unit on the truck it charges at 13.9 in the truck but 14 plus at the alternator . Will check at the batteries today. We are going to get some fuel, food and test the truck for all systems before loading the jeep for our escape from rain.

I did take the back plate off the new unit and there was a different number. That's good as the old number did not work. The new number does not work either.

But for $ 15.95 on eBay the real part is available.

No time for playing with parts. But I did keep the old alternator. Kit was worth 88bucks to them. I am thinking about buying a regulator after the first of the year and see if it will make the old alternator work. It did have 14.41 volts on those sence post when it would not charge. DB / Wilson thought that the regulator was what was wrong.

If it can be fixed for $15.95. I think I will mount it on the truck and have it charge just the rv bat ties as we have 3 8D batteries turn run the fridge on an inverter.

Napa had three regulators east of the Mississippi. They were available, just not today in my hands

So if you happen to have a rebuilt Wilson alternator and it is a 36si model you may want to carry a new regulator along in you parts department.

I think the regulator was not performing as it shoud for a long time, just did not want to deal with it.

And it is raining again where we are too muddy to back truck into field to hookup and leave Montana. Yes I will carry my snow shovel on this trip.

Safe travels, Vern

One I bought at O Reillys was a new Wilson. Not a lot of difference in price. Mine also has the extra small fused line that runs to negative side of batteries that help to regulate batteries better.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hi Vern,

Is there any shop in the area that rebuilds and repairs starters and alternators ? Maybe a diode when out inside the alternator. Just some thoughts.

Best of luck on your repair,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

This truly looks like "A get what, you pay for" situation!

Aftermarkets are great, but it is up to the consumer to sort out standards and quality.

I hope you get satisfaction.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I did install a rebuilt Wilson alternator. It charges at about 13.9 normal . 13.7 with lights and heater fan motor operational. And was charging about 60 amps when first installed it.

So the batteries were charged much better today. And went for a 20 mile test run and it is working.

Saturday morning. I did visit two local auto electric shops but they were closed. And no one in town had parts. So that is why I purchased a rebuilt unit as we need to get moving.

Now for a 2600 my trip to Florida quick.

Safe Travels, Vern

Vern, good to hear your alternator woes are behind you.

I hope the mud does not hold you for long.

See you in Florida, Bushnel ?

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Archived