Email client for Windows 10

We have used Microsoft email accounts (Live Mail/Outlook) since giving up the stix 'n brix with a cable internet provider/mail services. We were very happy with the Live Mail client for Windows until Microsoft changed their servers and sunsetted the Live Mail client.

The mail app provided with Windows 10 is woefully lacking in functionality (such as the ability to select multiple recipients from contacts, build mailing lists, etc.)

So... I've spent the past year trying to find a suitable solution and finally found something: http://www.emclient.com/ . The only limitation on the free version is that you're limited to two email accounts. Otherwise mail, contacts and calendar are all within one client and it synced with my Outlook account just fine.

Just thought I'd put this out there.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Look at Mozilla Thunderbird. Many add-on available including one that forces you to use Bcc in all or some cases (your choice). I have been using it for years and like it.

It supports POP and IMAP. You can choose to leave emails on the server or delete them (from the server) after you have downloaded them.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Rob

Are the Emails stored on your computer or on the internet?

Newt

Both - and it syncs at intervals that you set. I have a bunch of folders to sort emails into and the server(s) replicate whatever I do on my local PC.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Look at Mozilla Thunderbird. Many add-on available including one that forces you to use Bcc in all or some cases (your choice). I have been using it for years and like it.

It supports POP and IMAP. You can choose to leave emails on the server or delete them (from the server) after you have downloaded them.

Lenp

I have downloaded Thunderbird. I can't get it to work. :(

Newt

Just be aware Mozilla has not been providing any additional function or enhancements to Thunderbird. They only provide security support updates. I believe they are planning on ending support or getting someone else to support the product.

I migrated my Thunderbird from our old Vista & Win 8 laptops to our new Win 10 laptops back in Jan. 2016. No problems. What doesn't work, Newt?

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

It wants the Outlook password. Then, I get this message.

Sending of password for user xxxxxxxxxxxcom did not succeed. Mail server pop-mail.outlook.com responded: authentication failed

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Thanks Rob!

I still use a combination of Outlook 2010 and the new Windows mail program, but your post showed me another I had not heard of before. It looks very good. I may try the free version. The $49.99 for the Pro version with a license "For Life" reminds me of Malwarebytes who also did that for a number of years. I bought six for life Malwarebytes licenses for about 15 bucks each when they had a sale. Now you can only buy Premium for about $20-29.99 a year. So if you like the program and might need the Pro features it doesn't hurt to get one before they too go to annual licensing.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks Rob!

I still use a combination of Outlook 2010 and the new Windows mail program, but your post showed me another I had not heard of before. It looks very good. I may try the free version. The $49.99 for the Pro version with a license "For Life" reminds me of Malwarebytes who also did that for a number of years. I bought six for life Malwarebytes licenses for about 15 bucks each when they had a sale. Now you can only buy Premium for about $20-29.99 a year. So if you like the program and might need the Pro features it doesn't hurt to get one before they too go to annual licensing.

While it is $50 for the Pro version "for life" if you want a new release with new features it is $100. I guess the Pro version "for life" is you get support "for life", but no new features unless you pay more.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Newt

There is probably a setting in Outlook to "Disable access for less secure apps". Thunderbird is a "less secure app". I think the message you are getting is the same as what I have gotten. I use Gmail as an email server and unless I go to gmail.com and change the setting so gmail will "enable access for less secure apps". The default is "Disable access for less secure apps".

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Al you are right, thanks! If one likes the free version even at $100 that is three years of 29.99 subscription price, and all vendors transition to annual fees eventually that are as successful as these guys look.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There is probably a setting in Outlook to "Disable access for less secure apps"

Do you mean Google, not Outlook

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Newt,

Sorry to hear you having problems. Who is your email provider? Microsoft by chance?

I use gmail and two others (associated with websites I have). Try going to Options/Account Settings and ensure all your server settings are correct (server type, ports, security, etc.). You might have to experiment a little – check with your provider on what setting they require. As for username and passwords, I have had issues (I think are server dependent) with username being limited to everything BEFORE the “@” sign and others require the entire email address.

The first time you try to access via Thunderbird it should prompt you for a username and password. Make sure you know your password and experiment with the username noted above. Experiment with some of the server settings as well. PM me if you want to discuss on the phone – maybe I can help.

Al, I was not aware Mozilla was planning to discontinue support. I recently received an update that included a calendar function so they are continuing some support.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Do you mean Google, not Outlook

I mean whatever email server Newt uses. He said he was entering the Outlook password.

Sending of password for user xxxxxxxxxxxcom did not succeed. Mail server pop-mail.outlook.com responded: authentication failed

So wherever he is sending the password to probably needs to be told to work with "less than secure" apps. If he uses Gmail, then yes Google.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

................ Al, I was not aware Mozilla was planning to discontinue support. I recently received an update that included a calendar function so they are continuing some support.

Lenp

Late last year or early this year (2016) I read announcements similar to this quote from Wikipedia.

On December 1, 2015, Mozilla Executive Chair Mitchell Baker announced in a company-wide memo that Thunderbird development needs to be uncoupled from Firefox. She referred to Thunderbird developers spending large efforts responding to changes to Mozilla technologies, while Firefox was paying a tax to support Thunderbird development. She also said that she does not believe Thunderbird has the potential for "industry-wide impact" that Firefox does.[15][16] At the same time, it was announced that Mozilla Foundation will provide at least a temporary legal and financial home for the Thunderbird project.[17]

I'm not sure what new calendar function you are referring to. I have used a calendar within Thunderbird ever since I started using it many years ago.

Personally I have no plans on moving away from Thunderbird until all support is ended, if that ever happens.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I have used a calendar within Thunderbird ever since I started using it many years ago.

The Calendar used with Thunderbird was/is called Lighting. It was a add on app. Sometimes when they updated Thunderbird to a new version.The Lighting wasn't compatible with the new version for a while. Thus you would have a non working calendar.

No problem now with updates as both are merged together. When Outlook Express email ended, is when I went to Thunderbird with my 9 email addresses.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I, too, do not like the email client that came with Windows 10. I've been using Windows Live Mail 2011 which was already on this computer when I upgraded from 7 to 10. I like it just fine EXCEPT for the fact that when I download the email to my computer, they are no longer accessible on my android phone's email client. Before the upgrade to 10, the email client on my computer and on my android phone were one and the same.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I, too, do not like the email client that came with Windows 10. I've been using Windows Live Mail 2011 which was already on this computer when I upgraded from 7 to 10. I like it just fine EXCEPT for the fact that when I download the email to my computer, they are no longer accessible on my android phone's email client. Before the upgrade to 10, the email client on my computer and on my android phone were one and the same.

You might check Windows Live Mail 2011 and see if there is an option to keep or delete the email on the server. Thunderbird gives the option to leave the email on the server or have the server delete it. Maybe there is something like that on your client.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

You might check Windows Live Mail 2011 and see if there is an option to keep or delete the email on the server. Thunderbird gives the option to leave the email on the server or have the server delete it. Maybe there is something like that on your client.

Windows Live Mail does offer that option and you can choose how long to leave on the server.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Windows Live Mail does offer that option and you can choose how long to leave on the server.

Can you tell me how to get to this section? I've checked all the Options and can't find anything that speaks to this issue.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Can you tell me how to get to this section? I've checked all the Options and can't find anything that speaks to this issue.

Click on the drop down menu in the upper left hand corner. Then, hold your cursor over Options and select Email Accounts. Now, highlight the account which you want to change settings for. Click on Properties and select the Advanced Tab. At the bottom of that tab, you can select Leave a Copy of Messages on Server and also set the number of days before removing.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Click on the drop down menu in the upper left hand corner. Then, hold your cursor over Options and select Email Accounts. Now, highlight the account which you want to change settings for. Click on Properties and select the Advanced Tab. At the bottom of that tab, you can select Leave a Copy of Messages on Server and also set the number of days before removing.

Thank you chirakawa! Finding that is not intuitive (at least for me).

The "leave a copy of messages on server" IS checked, so that's not the problem.

Before the upgrade to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1), the email client on my android phone mirrored the email client on my computer. So, if I left a message in the In Box on one, it also appeared on the other. Now, though, once the email is downloaded to my computer, it disappears from my phone.

I must hasten to add that I'm now using a different email client on my computer (the aforementioned Windows Live) because the email client that was on my computer when I did the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 disappeared. The only thing I can think of is that the two email clients don't sync with each other like the original two did.

Although I can live with it, there are lots of times at night, after I've already turned my computer off, that I'd like to check a particular email, but can't do so on my phone because it's no longer there.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Archived