Steering Question

Jim & Wilma

Since getting our Volvo 730 last year, we've traveled about 10,000 miles with some daily drives between 500 - 700 miles. This is the only HDT I've driven any distance and the ride is very much more comfortable and less fatiguing than our F350.

On to my question . . . .

We have one drivability annoyance. The truck pulls somewhat aggressively (much more than a car) when driving along a rut or change in pavement elevation you might see in a repaving project. This always gets Wilma's attention and I get "the look". I have to correct the steering wheel a couple inches to get back on course.

Our steering seems reasonably tight and responsive and I'm guessing this is normal driving experience, probably due to 22.5" wheels. But I'd like to hear if this is common or any recommendations for typical areas to inspect.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim have a look at your steering box play. Truck off turn the shaft by hand then watch the Pittman arm. See how much shaft moves before the arm moves at all. Should be very little. If it is a fair amount see about replacing the box.

It changed how our truck drives big time. It just got bad over a long time on us. Started to notice more correction needed and wondered.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Jim, I noticed what you are talking about when i first drove my 06 780. It was a bit unnerving. If I get a tire off the pavement or paving elevation change, I just ride it out until no one is beside me [ if possible] and then accelerate when I correct. It is not something that I enjoy. My wife gives me the stink eye when it happens. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Jim, there is an adjustment for removing some of the play in the gear box also. Take a look at page 53 for the proper way to do it: http://trucksteering.trwauto.com/sites/trucksteering.trw.com/files/pdf/TRW_1108_02_07.pdf (thanks Scrap!). You can see how much play there is in the steering wheel and tighten the pitman shaft with the screw across from it. Only tighten it 1/2 turn at a time and then test drive the truck to see if that helps. If you get it to tight you will be fighting the steering to try to keep it centered plus you will accelerate the wearing out of the box.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

While I can't tell you how to fix the problem, I can definitely tell you that the steering should be not difficult, even with pavement elevation differences, though I have never driven at high speed over pavement offsets like that. Our truck is a 2010 730 equipped the same as yours. Our steering is tight and is not difficult under any conditions. It sits like a rock on the road at highway speeds. Our issues have been DEF and transmission related. Good luck getting the steering in shape. The truck is quite pleasant to drive when working properly.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

I agree with Jemstone. I thought as ours was getting worse over time it was the road the tires or me. It ended up being the box and also the allignment went out to neutral.

Once these items were fixed all was great. New truck. Like a Corvette. Ha

There are other things that can show like this but a front end check up will prove out if anything is out.

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Jim, my 670 used to behaved the same as you describe.

Alignment, tires, ball joints, king pins, steering box all checked OK by Volvo shop.

Added the big blue Safe-T-Plus 3 years ago. Problems like you described disappeared.

That said, changes in side-to-side pavement elevation like when they are repaving one lane or if the shoulder is lower than the pavement are still like running on railroad tracks when one of the steers drops off track. Getting back in-line is like going down stairs on a Pogo stick.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers to the steering box and big blue. At Hutch, when I saw an open hood, I grabbed and rotated the steering wheel shaft a few degrees and all the steering boxes felt about the same as mine. But that was a pretty rough test.

Found a couple YouTube videos that explain the sector shaft adjustment process. The second one shows the gears and how the screw affects the gear mesh. May give adjustment a spin this weekend but suspect the drag link to pitman arm doesn't slide off quite as nicely as the video portrays!

TRW Commercial Steering Systems : Steering Gear Sector Shaft Adjustment Procedure

Sector Shaft Adjustment

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

My 04 630 always felt somewhat like the description above.

New shocks helped as did grease job done with the weight off the tires.

But today I put on new steering tires and wow what a difference. It went from feeling like driving on marbles to almost sports car feel. Tires were well past their best before date at over 10 years old.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

have mine replaced years ago better wear on the steers it was a reman box.....

97 9200 cornbinder super 10 M11E cummins 1350 ftlbs
81 CJ7 jeep
2000 36ft nuwa king dome onan 6500LP gen/remote start
94 sport Nautique
2007 dyna wide glide 6 speed
N7UVW
2007 30ft work&play-LK-- toy hauler by forest river

2006 Alfa toyhouse 40 ft

2010 42kz Escalade toyhauler

Took my wrench and screwdriver to the steering box today. Sector shaft adjustment made a noticeable improvement in tracking. We were a bit of a site on I-95 testing by pulling on and off the shoulder to feel the difference as it rode the change in pavement elevation. Control was much improved and steering still recenters nicely.

The way I made the adjustment was by grabbing and rotating the steering shaft a few degrees while feeling for gear lash; engine off. At first I could feel the gears hitting and as I adjusted the screw I lost the feel of the gears. Went In and out on the screw several times to "calibrate the touch". After losing the feel of the gears hitting, went about another half turn and ended up adjusting the screw close to 1 1/2 turns total . . . all performed under the shade of our old oak tree.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

What tire did you install on your steers?

What method did you select for the balancing?

Thanks

Michelin steers and balanced with beads.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Nice job Jim. Great tutorial as well.

quote name="Jim & Wilma" post="870079" timestamp="1478395595"]

Took my wrench and screwdriver to the steering box today. Sector shaft adjustment made a noticeable improvement in tracking. We were a bit of a site on I-95 testing by pulling on and off the shoulder to feel the difference as it rode the change in pavement elevation. Control was much improved and steering still recenters nicely.

The way I made the adjustment was by grabbing and rotating the steering shaft a few degrees while feeling for gear lash; engine off. At first I could feel the gears hitting and as I adjusted the screw I lost the feel of the gears. Went In and out on the screw several times to "calibrate the touch". After losing the feel of the gears hitting, went about another half turn and ended up adjusting the screw close to 1 1/2 turns total . . . all performed under the shade of our old oak tree.

Archived