Replacing gasket on Volvo Steerbox. Has anybody done it?

HERO Maker

Thought I would start a new thread on this part of my project to change leaking pressure hose. Noticed the gasket was leaking a bit, and decided that this was a good time to tackle this as well.

I have all 4 bolts off of the top of the steer box and tapped it with a rubber mallet and it spun clockwise pretty easy. It now is spinning itself apart in a clockwise motion? Is this supposed to be the way to remove it, or am I about to have everything in the bottom half of the gearbox fall apart, and then I would be really up a creek without a paddle?

Thanks,

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I don't know Volvo, but most boxes get rebuilt not resealed. The tolerances get so bad it causes the seals to leak. How many miles on the chassis?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

730,000+ miles.

No seals are leaking just the gasket on the top end. Was needing to change out 1 leaking hose, decided to change all three, and then thought maybe I should take care of the slowly leaking gasket. Not getting any answers regarding pulling the top half and shaft out of the body. I am worried about what might fall apart inside the body, or be left behind like ball bearings! But no one is giving me the facts of what happens if I pull it out. So using so gasket maker and putting it back together today. I expect it will leak some, but will turn it over to the mechanics when I get to the valley next month.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Rocky, take a look at this PDF and see if it is similar. STEERING GEAR BOX If you mean the over center adjustment, the center stud is screwed into the cover and is attached to the shaft underneath. It will raise and lower the shaft to make the gear 'lash' tighter or looser. To pull the cover on the boxes I have dealt with you need to pull the pitman arm and make sure the shaft is clean. Pul the four bolts and the cover and shaft will pull straight out.You won't be getting into any of the ball bearings so it is no problem. You do need to be careful that you don't get the adjustment too tight because that will cause accelerated wear. Just keep in mind that my experience with steering gear boxes is limited to the type on my Dodge.......

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Trying to post a photo of what I have:

29951203684_ba21cc4858_m.jpg29951203874_386142d792_m.jpg

Thanks for the PDF file, but it doesn't look like what I have. My shaft that connects directly to the steering column, rotates with the top 1 inch of the box. If the picture showed up, you can see where I removed the 4 bolts around it. It moves very easily to the right (clockwise).

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

I had an issue with leaky seals in my gearbox. I had my mechanic put new seals in. It stopped the leaking for about a year and then it came back even worse. I finally just bit the bullet and put a new gear box on. No more problems since then. I know this doesn't help with your question, but it may help in the long run if you run into the same issues I did. The gear boxes are pretty standard across makes. You may be looking at more problems down the line.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks Chad.

Trying to track down what the tourque amount is for the 4 bolts now. If this "fix" was to end up stopping the leak, then great! But will probably get the whole thing replaced when in the valley this winter for the mission trips.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Hey, Rocky!! Nice picture in your signature block!! I've seen that place before. :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In all the years I've been a farmer and worked on all my old stuff...don't think I've ever had a steering gearbox apart! I've adjusted a couple...thats it. Just not real common knowledge how to take them apart.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

In all the years I've been a farmer and worked on all my old stuff...don't think I've ever had a steering gearbox apart! I've adjusted a couple...thats it. Just not real common knowledge how to take them apart.

And I would have thought that you or Rickeieio would have had lots of experience with this! Yes, I'm not thinking about taking it apart now. Just getting it put back together (with I'm sure a little seepage) and get a whole complete replacement. It's only $$ - and work.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

And I would have thought that you or Rickeieio would have had lots of experience with this! Yes, I'm not thinking about taking it apart now. Just getting it put back together (with I'm sure a little seepage) and get a whole complete replacement. It's only $$ - and work.

Not me either. In fact, I have a ''49 Farmall Super "A" with 1/2 turn of slop in the steering. It's a real nuisance, as it's my mowing tractor. The steering box is also the axle mount. Winter project.............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Sorry Rocky I had no time but I wanted to get the manual out. Hopefully it is the right one as the Volvo one is mounted inside out from my world and it throws me off. There is a lot of stuff behind those four bolts so I think you made a good decision to glue it back together and press on till you get 'home'.

Scrap, you're right.

That manual scared me into thinking straight on this project! Too much to go wrong, and I only have another week to get the rig moving again!

Will let you know how it all ends up tomorrow when I get some fluid in it an crank it up. It only has to make it a about six hundred miles. Who knows, I might have fixed it!!!!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Well, after using the gasket maker in a tube stuff, I needed to let it sit for around 1 hour to set up, and then I could torque the 4 bolts down. I was able to determine, using Scraps PDF file, how much torque to use.

Then I must let it sit for 24 hours before adding back the fluid.

Added ATF yesterday and started the truck up. Worked the steering shaft back a forth a lot and everything moved as it should. But there was a lot of groaning (like what I heard at the Rally before discovering I had a leak), so checked for any leaks. Not leaks but some of the fluid had dropped a little lower in the reservoir so added some more. I did not drain the whole gear box, so I was only adding what had been in the hoses, reservoir and pump. (took about a total of 2 quarts)

Fired up the truck today and by grabbing the shaft I was able to turn the wheels to their stops both ways, but still had a lot of groaning.

Took it for a ride (about 10 miles out and back) and shut it down with a lot of groaning still going on.

Checked the reservoir again and it was low! Filled it up and all groaning has departed. Must have had air in the box, but didn't bleed it out. Nothing explained about how to bleed the air (if I even had some in it, since I really didn't take the box apart) or how much ATF should go back into the unit. Even checked the original service manual I have for the old truck. It says what to use, but doesn't give capacity in the capacity section of the manual.

Still no leaks, and nothing from that top seal around the shaft (which I didn't touch), so we'll keep monitoring it in the future.

Hopefully I escaped a big $$ item and made a simple little hose change project last a lot longer and learned a lot through this project. Like needing to remove the alternator in order to get to the high pressure hose, and then how to reinstall the alternator (not fun).

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Rocky,

Glad to hear that you didn't have to JB Weld it back together.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived