Re-stringing day/night shade

Bruce H

Hi all,

2 weeks ago I broke one of the cords on my day/night shade. I bought the re-stringing kit. Upon reading the instructions to re-string a day/night 4 cord shade, I'm thinking do I really want to attempt this project or just go buy a new shade. Camping World had the best price for a 59"width day/night shade $174.00. After looking back at the instructions, I'm thinking how difficult can this be.Re-stringing a 4 cord systems doubles your chance of making a mistake. Pay close attention to the way the cords are layed out.If you screw up, you'll know it when you re-stall the shade. Make a long story short, all went well, re-installed the shade, worked perfectly and I still have the $174.00 in my pocket.

All's well

The worst that can could have happened was that you did it wrong, hung it up, took it down and got so frustrated you tossed it in the trash.

But instead you tackled it

Great job

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I have one right now that I have been putting off restringing. Guess I'll have to get to it.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I did one myself...the second one I took to an upholstery shop and they did it for $50. The second one was easier....lol

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

My first one took about 30 minutes, second one 15. Think about it, the worst that can happen is it fails and you must go buy a new one, so whats to lose?

I bought the string locally from a blinds shop.

Of course it the plastic guides are worn, buying a complete kit is best.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The first time is always the hardest. We have replaced about half the strings in our camper and have the process down to about 15 minutes now. It seems like every 2 months we get to practice again. I bought a spool of thread on e-bay a couple of years ago that should last for many years.

Greg

Did a lot of mine in our old unit and it seemed harder to get the shade down and back up then the restringing did, counting the valence and the way the buider installed them. Now have roller shades in mew unit.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

• 1 month later...

Hello. I'm thinking of tackling this project too, but I do have a few questions of those who have already been successful. The strings of our shades are not broken, it's just that when one of us in the RV pulls down the shades, they are, shall we say, "cattywampus." One of us, on the other hand, can make the shades "straight" with a little work, but I still think a couple of the shades would benefit from re-stringing. So, my questions are:

1. Will re-stringing help if the one who usually makes the shades cattywampus is not pushing them up/pulling them down from the bottom center of the track?

2. Where did you buy the re-stringing kit? We have four cords in ours.

3. Is this a job that can be tackled and completed by one person, or would two people be better?

Thanks.

Bob, Janice & Guinness

40' 2001 DS Monaco Executive, towing 2009 Saturn Vue

Restringing will not help your "cattywampus" problem, but readjusting the string tension at the bottom spools might help some. Two string shades usually have the most tendency to go "cattywampus", but too loose a tension on a four string can do it too. Try just bringing the tension up a bit to see if that helps. Don't over do it though, that will just cause increased wear on the guides and make the shades harder to operate.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I got my materials from the "Dirty Blind Man": http://www.dirtyblindman.info/

He has lots of choices for re-stringing kits from just the string (in many colors), to replacement grommets, springs, etc. I got one of his "Parts Packs" which includes a large spool of string, 50 nylon grommets, and some of the retainers that screw to the wall. I've re-strung 4-5 of my blinds and needed to replace at least a couple of grommets on each one so the kit has been handy, and I've got material left for many more.

You can also purchase materials for just a single blind if you'd prefer. The kits come with good instructions and it is really pretty easy once you've done one. Even the large 4-string shades can be done in 30 minutes or so by one person.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived