Android ?

bigjim

Can anyone briefly explain what the difference between me accessing the internet on my laptop or at the library vs using a tablet with Android. I seem to not see much comment about stuff like virus protection and filters "and constant updating like I see with "Windows" Just give me the basics and let me try and absorb it if you can. Thanks

First of all, Google makes the Android OS and leases it to other tablet mfg. Very general, usually only Google and Samsung do install updates and not always. Because each mfg can tweak the OS, they may not want to do that for a new release.

Each tablet including IPad have either or both security or virus issues. For instance, prior to the very new iOS 10 from Apple, the last 2 or 3 releases have each had a couple of security updates.

To add. Accessing the Internet with a tablet is done with a simple one use App, for instance a news app. For the most part, your Windows requires a browser.

Keep in mind that there are also browsers for a tablet and apps for Windows.

On the Windows side there is getting to be a big blur between a computer and a tablet.

With Android you will have to learn new browsers and a lot of other things like where a file is saved and how to retrieve it. It is fairly easy in hindsight but daunting for some up front. As Duke already said, but I will make clearer is that today's Windows8-10 tablets are the same as the computers in that they use the same programs and can be used with a bluetooth or in the case of hybrids, their own keyboards to work just like a laptop. The only difference is you can separate them from the keyboard and choose to not use them. Tablets that run Windows RT, a limited OS that is more suited to cell phones than computers have been dropped so avoid any used Windows tablets running RT like the Surface and the Surface 2. The surface 3 tablets and all the Pro Surface tablets run regular Windows 10 the same as the desktops and laptops.

BigJIm,
Depends on what you are reading.

Just read here for Android: https://threatpost.com/?s=Android

And here for iOS, the OS for iPhones and iPads: https://threatpost.com/?s=iOS

And here for general mobile security issues: https://threatpost.com/category/mobile-security/

Like Apple, when they had security by obscurity, I now have almost zero possibility of infection because Windows 10 mobile is inherently secure. (That was said tongue in cheek as that is what the Apple folks said about OSX and iOS until they got more market share and infected and found botnets controlling thousands of them etc..) There are relatively few Windows phones out here so we are not worth hacking! I have not had even one attempted intrusion on my Microsoft Lumia 735 Windows 10 phone. :D

However I much prefer my active performance updates as well as security patches for Windows to few updates, or patches too late resulting in what you read above. All OS can be hacked or users tricked into clicking on the wrong thing, which is how most attacks on all OS' occur today.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Getting your Android device from a trusted manufacturer is the key to security, mom has one that hasn't EVER had an update to the core software and it is several years old. I usually go with Nexus or Samsung and can't help on others, Nexus is almost always faster to update than Samsung since it is an Alphabet made device.

Apps on Android that come from the Google App Store should update automatically as updates become available, helps security but not a lot if they are just putting lipstick on an antique core software install.

Browsing on Android, I like Brave as it keeps as much of your personal and identifying info hidden. It is a big change for Firefox or Chrome users but it grows on you.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Chalkie,

It works in similar fashion when you have all Windows tablets, desktops, and Windows phones as we have here. All appointments and Cortana reminders pop up on all my devices within a minute or so. We have Kindle fire HDX tablets 7" and 8.9" for reading mostly.

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Bigjim,

Besides with Android comes Google and their: "We can read all your mail and listen in with machines and not take any personally identifiable information in order to give you a better online experience - tailored to you!"

If the data they collect is not personally identifiable then how can they tailor it to me?? I get some blank screens online because I added the "Block Google Tracking" tracking protection Add-On to my IE.

If I may make a distinction. We bought Amazon Fire HDX used tablets cheap for our kindle replacements and they are terrific tablets for resolution and features if you are a big Amazon user with Prime. They are Android based but Amazon has its own version as their own OS, and their own App store. You can in some cases use the Google Play store for apps, but many times not, which is a great thing to me. I am not a big App user but am learning lately with the Windows phone and the tablets. Let me give you my opinions on the facts of this.

I know Microsoft has a product to sell as does Apple and they want us to buy products from them like computers and their OS'. I trust Apple and Microsoft to not sell my data to other third parties for revenue because they already have a revenue stream. Amazon sells everything thus they took Android, and modified it for use in their tablets and failed phones, but not on Google play because they want us to buy their products. Well I already did when I became a Prime member more than ten years ago. The two day delivery and ease of changing the address made Prime ideal for me fulltiming. Since Amazon has had my credit card info and my addresses for as long as there has been a Prime, and no breaches, with great service I trust them.

Google (Alphabet) several years ago changed their EULA (End User License Agreement) across all of their products. Now if you have any of their software on your phones or home computers, from Windows or Apple or Amazon, they sell your data for advertising. See Google has no products for sale to generate revenue save some cloud space. Many think Google Earth or Picasa, or their cloud based free office and other free software worth the trade. I prefer to pay for my software or use open source software like Libre Office in place of MS Office, and my website email address, or my Internet provider's supplied email address, or Outlook.com rather than Gmail. I prefer Skype to Google voice. All OS' access the satellite mapping online today not just Google. So I am on Amazon but nothing made by Google, or running Android, because all report my data to Google Alphabet.

So as an alternative, if you want Android tablets, not Windows, I would suggest an Amazon Fire HD tablet. The Fire HDX tablets had great resolution, but lack only one thing, a micro SD card slot, and they were expensive. I strongly urge you to get 32GB minimum if you want to use it for movies and books. An HD download can take 4-7 GB of space. My ripped movies I own take 2 or 3GB each at most in HD. Here is the New Kindle Fire HD tablet ,32 GB version for $119.99: https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-Tablet-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B01ACEKAJY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1477250268&sr=1-5&keywords=Fire+HD+tablet

The great thing about the new Fire HD tablets is that aside from being inexpensive, they finally have micro SD card slots and can take up to 200 GB SD cards.

I just bought a 128GB micros SD card that was tested and benchmarked above the rest of the brands by users for $34.99 from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178997 yesterday for my Lumia phone that just has a 64GB micro SD card at the moment that is full with music. My 64GB cards and 32GB cards are for swapping now. I have a pocket SD Card case that holds 17 SD cards in their full size adapters.

The Amazon ecosphere is great if you already are an Amazon Prime member. But I use Amazon from my Windows tablets too. So they aren't necessary but are exactly compatible and easy to use with Amazon.

And they replace the Kindle readers just fine unless you read in direct sunlight a lot. We kept an old Kindle Paperwhite touch for that (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-6-Inch-4GB-eReader/dp/B00OQVZDJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477254226&sr=8-2&keywords=Paperwhite ), as we both share the same family Prime account our books are available from each separate account on our Kindles, Fire tablets, and other devices like our Windows tablet computers and desktop devices. Now not fulltiming, but living off road, when I go out, it is not to read. I read before sleep daily indoors in bed for an hour or two.

So you can choose Android and have it all reported to Google regardless of the manufacturer. Amazon's fork of Android that doesn't phone Google unless you load Google software on it, and won't violate our privacy by sharing with third parties, Apple won't share, Windows won't either. So it is very doable to have your Android and no Google too!

Many don't care and I have lost the privacy battle to them years ago. I have a locked down private FaceCrook account just to be able to log in with it and to be able to read articles and go to reviews you must be a member to access. I have 0 FaceCrook Friends save one of my sons, and no friend requests as they are blocked as are all my info other than that I am there. I did post a message and got hundreds of friend requests. Locked it down again and will not put anything on it or comment on others pages. What little privacy is left can be had with Apple, Windows, and Amazon. They keep our privacy for obvious reasons.

That help or muddy the waters for ya?

There are two kinds of computer users you know.

funnyshittwentytwo.gif

computer_nerds.gif

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Not necessarily. I use Chrome on a desktop, my laptop, a tablet and my phone. I like the fact that all my bookmarks are synched across all the devices. Windows 10 on desktop/laptop and Android on tablet and phone.

And if I explore a destination and a routing on my laptop, my phone already knows that's where I want to go!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Besides with Android comes Google and their: "We can read all your mail and listen in with machines and not take any personally identifiable information in order to give you a better online experience - tailored to you!"

If the data they collect is not personally identifiable then how can they tailor it to me?? I get some blank screens online because I added the "Block Google Tracking" tracking protection Add-On to my IE.

Seriously? This should not become a Windows 10 vs Android debate, but that statement is very misleading for someone that may not know better. Most fairly tech savvy folks know that Google (Android) and Apple collect a lot of personal data. With Windows 10 Microsoft has joined that crowd. Windows 10, unless you take a number of steps to protect your privacy collects a whole lot of information about you, and in the end you still can not totally disable Cortana, which collects most of that data. There are threads aplenty both here and in other forums about how you can no longer (easily) get updates when you want them, not when Microsoft crams them down your throat, which can be bad for RVer's with limited data access.

Tracking blocking is simple in Chrome as well, but it is not foolproof. But neither is it in IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera or any other browser, which is why I personally run Superantispyware which removes tracking cookies as fast as they get planted.

Windows 10 and Android both have their uses and are both good at what they do. For that matter so does OS X, but I have never been an Apple fan, but then that is the point. A lot of this boils down to user preference and that one or the other is wholeheartedly better than the others.

For those the are interested in learning something about the Windows 10 privacy issues you can read here and here.

For all its privacy faults I personally love Windows 10 even if I have had to work a bit close up some of the privacy issues.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Ckalkie,

Well said, and I was not trying to turn anything into anything. I agree that all collect data just as I said.

Amazon does with their version of Android.

And since they sell something they aren't going to give it to third parties because they want our purchases.

Windows sells the computers and the OS for revenues as well as other hardware and their sales of Windows to all the manufacturers of Windows Desktops, laptops, tablets, and their enterprise security Endpoint solutions etc. with thousands of other sales items.

Apple sells computers and their OS goes with it. They created an ecosystem with their proprietary OS they do not let others use despite the fact that they sell computers using the same hardware as Windows. As well as Tablets using the same OS as their iPhones iOS. And their desktops that and laptops that use OSX. And with Apple's music and App stores, as well as their proprietary connectors. they change and have all new sales. They also have no SD card slots because they wanted all to use iTunes and iPods. iPods are all but off the market now but I think Apple is painting themselves in a corner because they aren't innovating like before and it shows in Androids taking over the cellphone market and the tablet markets taking a large share of the new customers.

Google sells cloud storage and some professional services that never quite got off the ground. Most of their products are free and the main source of revenues is the data they accrue in selling our shopping and communication histories. An example. If you use Gmail and write about looking for a new car you will see ads about new cars in greater percentage if you are using Google software and online services. Because the machine readers saw the Gmail mention of shopping+new+car and noted it. Then they sell that lead to local folks to not contact them because that would be too obvious. They also read your location from the software. So they can sell advertising to local dealers or the manufacturers like Ford to place their ads in your banners and popups and advertising before a YouTube video.

The difference between Google and all others is that Google has nothing to sell really. Their phones and tablets have done worse than Windows has done and they have blown it. So they sell our data for the use of third parties.

The others keep it for themselves. They do not want another to get the sale they can have.

That is what they sell. My data without paying me for it. I don't mind MS or Amazon having my data because I shop with them, not some local third party I did not shop.

I have no issues with one OS over another and used all of them except OSX as my Apple Mac experience was using their first Macs in the mid 80s with college when I went back to school with SIU.

But I would trust Apple if I were an Apple user.

I trust MS as a Windows user.

I trusted Linux as a Linux User back when I tried it several times.

I trust Amazon OS and use it on my Kindle Fires now.

Google is not allowed on any of my computers, neither is iTunes, or Google PlayStore other than Windows store and Amazon App store.

But to answer the basic question, if I understand it correctly, is that it is just as easy to listen or read or watch on Android as a Windows or Apple laptop.

Security for all are dependent on patching when needed. For performance and security.

Regardless of the folks who say they have never patched Windows/Linux/Android/OSX/iOS and never had malware problems, there are folks in each who were hoodwinked, spearfished, Phished, clicked on the wrong thing and got ransomware, let kids or others use their systems unattended and got infections and changes to their systems as a result.

Windows has a lot of updates because they are now proactive. All of the major OS' have vulnerabilities that they doubt will eve be exploited and may have not patched for years. Linux just had one in the core but it required the attacker to be sitting at the computer. Safer for home users for it to exist but for corporate or libraries, any public network where they can get access in a classroom or office, a disgruntled employee or student can do some horrendous malware damage.

They are all vulnerable for one thing or another. I have run my computers with no infections but one I got from an infected computer I stupidly plugged into my network before I ran malware checks ten years ago. Since my systems were up to date the ,malware could not run and was removed with several passes of Norton power eraser, Malwarebytes premium, and Windows own built in anti malware program back then Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE. I have had a few pages try to get me to panic with scareware and try to get me to call a number, as if . . .

Windows was the wild wild west back from Millennium Edition through XP SP1 and 2. SP3 really made it hard to crack with patches as I went. For the newbies SP stood for Service Pack and was the same as the free Windows 10 upgrade. They essentially were complete versions of Windows that were distributed via Windows updates.

So anecdotally I can say Windows is not as vulnerable as others because I have never been infected or fell for social engineering or spearphishing. I read about an Apple Mac botnet (truth) and a that does not make Macs more vulnerable because I said so. But for each who thought they were invulnerable, and had no protection, and got pwned, suddenly not doing the Apple patches and updates wasn't such a good idea.

It is the same for each OS. Not getting consistent update for Android is where Android is broken. All a bad guy has to do is monitor the vulnerability patches given by Google to their own tablets, then backwards engineer it, and then attack the Samsung and or Verizon devices that are not done yet like the nexus line, easy pickings. The bad guys will own both to catch the slower companies customers with the vulnerability.that you also have to check and until they are patched it is free looting everyone. Not getting patches is as bad as not doing them when they are available.

Windows is not superior to Android in vulnerabilities nor is Android superior because you don't see updates.

I am going to say all of them are pretty much hardened and I am not sure I like the amount of bandwidth the Windows telemetry is using without my leave either.

Use what you like, and keep it patched when offered. ;)

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Windows is not superior to Android in vulnerabilities nor is Android superior because you don't see updates.

I am going to say all of them are pretty much hardened and I am not sure I like the amount of bandwidth the Windows telemetry is using without my leave either.

Use what you like, and keep it patched when offered. ;)

On this we can certainly agree!

I wish my old arthritic fingers could pound out lines and lines of text like this. :D Sadly that is no longer the case.

Edited by Chalkie

I may try Chrome again some time but I do know that if you uninstall Chrome without making another browser the default it can leave the HTML, HTM, SHTML and a few other entries in your registry screwed up. Then it says you don't have permission to open a link in your other email program in the new browser. I just had that happen with Aviator which I tried and uninstalled without making IE or Opera or Edge my default. Took a while but I figured it out and fixed the registry. Now I just keep IE and Edge on my systems.

I agree on bandwidth.

Today, with ubiquitous broadband, folks on data limited diets are becoming more and more imposed upon.

It is not the fault of the OS no matter which. It is progress and change. Fiber nationwide is becoming as important as our national Interstate systems. I have unlimited bandwidth for an extra 10 bucks a month. My cable Internet service is 200mbps down and 2-25 up. That is why I champion Net neutrality and rejecting the state legislation that allows no competition for the cable companies for actual broadband. We could already have had very fast GB broadband municipal services like Lafayette Louisiana and Austin Texas.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Chalky sorry to hear that bud. I have Dupuytren's contracture on my left middle finger, documented from a military injury in the 80's http://www.bing.com/search?q=dupuytren's+contracture&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02&pc=EUPP_ which will eventually lock into a curled position and not be able to be straightened out again. I can type fine for now and later as long as my other fingers are not involved. However I played guitar from age 12 and write music as well as lyrics. My left hand is my fret hand and I can no longer play with any dexterity so I put my git fiddle aside. I was lucky enough to play for 52 years and entertain with bands, solo at weddings as the singer and accompaniment, and even a washtub bass jug band we met RVing fulltime. No complaints there, many never had the talent to play gifted. I am missing my skiing and diving and hope some upcoming surgeries to my spine will improve my mobility enough to be able to walk and exercise off some of these 50 pounds I gained since I quit smoking six years ago and got more limited by my spinal injuries and stenosis. Maybe even be able to ride a bike without worry about bending or back stress. If not oh well I tried and had many years of sports and activities around the world. I am sure glad we went fulltime when I was 45! I could not do 90% of the climbs and hikes and fishing we did then, now.

Chalkie, you know you can use voice on Android, Windows, and Amazon OS's right? https://www.bing.com/search?q=How+do+I+change+speech+to+text%3f&input=2&nclid=4D34BFD87795F1669F627D3EE550B1AC&FORM=WNSSSV&cc=US&setlang=en-US

It is a learning curve but one that may be worth the time.

Have a good evening!

Edited by RV

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I do know that. I guess maybe I am old school but sitting there talking to my computer or phone (unless I am driving in hands free mode) feels just a little awkward to me. Voice recognition has come a long ways but just as auto correct can drive you to distraction so can voice dictation/translation unless you actually proof READ it, something that hands free is supposed to eliminate (distracted driving). I try not to respond to texts or messages while driving but there have been times when it is important enough that I will and some of the results have been pretty hilarious.

But that is just me. I introduced a young neighbor to Dragon several years ago and he took to it like a duck to water. He has a learning impediment that makes it difficult to WRITE answers to tests and homework, but he is very bright and with the assistance of the software makes straight A's.

I don't know that any one OS will ever come out on top, but it is a given that computers are getting better and better and so much easier to use than when it all started out.

I am with you as Cortana is getting better the voice recognition program, a totally different program under "All Apps - Windows Ease Of Access - Windows Speech Recognition" seems in the dark ages.

I heard Dragon Naturally Speaking got to 99% accuracy or some such, but like you, I only use "Hey Cortana" on my desktop to get addresses and business locations and info. I too will ignore all texts while driving with hands free except very important ones because of the pain in auto correct and the definite distraction if it gets it wrong. I usually just cancel and pull over and grab my phone if it is an emergency. I have no problems with taking calls hands free. It comes through my stereo and is actually a Visor device with Bluetooth and FM transmitter by Jabra. The Jabra Cruiser and we have three of the Cruiser 2's. Funny thing, the cruiser understands my commands as well as the computer.

My next car will have bluetooth built in.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 3 years later...