How to read tire load table?

Ark-n-Tina

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to read the attached table which I downloaded from the Goodyear website.

We did SmartWeigh last summer and came up with 2300 lbs for each of our 4 fifth wheel tires, which are Goodyear G614 RST LT 235/85 R16s. So, going down the left side column of the table we find our tire and configuration (D for dual), which I highlighted in yellow on the table. Now for the confusing part: The minimal weight that corresponds to equal or greater than our 2300 lbs per tire is at a PSI of 65, which sounds absurdly low to me. The tire inflation sticker on the fifth wheel says 80 PSI, but it assumes OEM-installed Load Range E tires. My Goodyears are load range G's, which suggest a PSI on the sidewall of 110 and, in the table, the final column for my tire is bolded and says "G". Does the bolded table cells mean that load range G tires must always be at least 110?

We bought our fiver used in a private sale, and the previous owner installed the Goodyears. He said he ran them at 80 PSI as per the inflation sticker on the RV.

RK & Christina (Ark-n-Tina)
Silver Spring, MD
2006 Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel / AF32-5S Silver Fox Edition

2002 Ford F350 DRW 7.3L Powerstroke

Are you saying your Artic Fox is a dual wheel configuration? I doubt it, the only dual wheel 5er that was around was the Mountain Aire 5ers from Newmar which are no longer made. I would bet your rig has single wheel configuration on two axles with a total of four tires on the ground. Dual configuration would be eight tires on the ground with twin axles. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Are you saying your Artic Fox is a dual wheel configuration? I doubt it, the only dual wheel 5er that was around was the Mountain Aire 5ers from Newmar which are no longer made. I would bet your rig has single wheel configuration on two axles with a total of four tires on the ground. Dual configuration would be eight tires on the ground with twin axles. Best Wishes, Jay

Ok, single wheel then, two on each side. Thanks, Jay.

But the original mystery (to me) of how to read the load chart only deepens, because the suggested PSI for 2300 lbs single wheel is 55.

BTW, for anybody interested, here's the link to Goodyear's RV tire info page: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-inflation-loading.aspx

RK & Christina (Ark-n-Tina)
Silver Spring, MD
2006 Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel / AF32-5S Silver Fox Edition

2002 Ford F350 DRW 7.3L Powerstroke

The bold print numbers are the maximum inflation for that rated tire, ie D, E, or G which are the only ratings the tire is manufactured in. As I read the chart, the G rated tire probably should not be inflated below the lower pressure it falls under which is 85# even though the 2300 yours carry falls under the 55# inflation line. To be sure of this, I suggest that you contact the Goodyear Tech support and make sure we are reading the chart properly.

Call 800-321-2136 between 8:30AM – 5:45PM ET Monday through Friday.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another question you should address is your wheel air/weight rating.

I don't recall but steel wheel are generally stamped and visible with tire mounted. Alloy rims I'm not sure but I suspect it also is visible. It would be visible from the inside.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Thanks for clarifying your wheel configuration. Years ago when we ran the GY G614s I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the minimum recommended pressure was 85 psi which is what Kirk stated above. I have looked for a reference for that recommendation but can't find it at this time. With max wheel weight of 2300 lbs you are well below the limit of the G614s. running at 85 psi instead of 110 would probably give a slightly softer ride for the rig and possibly slightly bigger tire patch on the ground. I personally would not be comfortable running tires significantly under inflated ie 55 psi or less. I would be worried about sidewall failure or loss of bead seal at low pressures. As Kirk said, give GY a call and get clarification of your specific situation. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Forget those load/inflation charts. You will not find any tire manufacturer that recommends running less than the vehicle manufacturers tire placard. Tandem axles are particularly hard on tires due to the severe side-wall stress'. Since most OEM RV trailer tires are operating at/near their maximum weight capacity, they must be inflated to what the 5er mfgr. recommends on the tire placard.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived