Unexpected/unwanted layover in Kirtland NM

strawdog

Well we are stuck about 10 miles outside Farmington NM getting ready to deal with this -

Initial.JPG

Haven't started taking things apart yet but expect that the spindle is hosed along with the bearing etc. :o

The good - At least we were not farther into our intended destination of the New Mexico outback, leaving us stuck along a remote narrow road with no shoulder. Or worse 10 miles down a gravel washboarded road.

The bad - Haven't been able to find any places in the area that even knows anything about Mor/Ryde IS suspension much less having parts available. :wacko::angry:

BTW - Vern ..... You aren't going to be near Farmington NM in the next few days are you ? Be more than glad to let you join in the fun !!! :rolleyes::ph34r:

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might get lucky . Bearings usually don't take a spindle unless that bearing is froze solid .

I'd think the bearings are a fairly common size and available at most auto parts stores . Might have to research a cross for part #s , but ...

Hope you get it sorted .

Goes around , comes around .

Dont limit yourself to only Morryde parts suppliers. Most of those manufacturers use available bearings that can be obtained at auto parts stores or better yet, industrial supply or bearing houses where plants go to get spare parts. Most bearings will have the P/N stamped on the bearing and many times on the race also. Your pics looks like you MIGHT get away with just replacing those, but I dont see much grease in that area though. Good catch that not more was damaged. Be safe!!

Marcel

You might get lucky . Bearings usually don't take a spindle unless that bearing is froze solid .

I'd think the bearings are a fairly common size and available at most auto parts stores . Might have to research a cross for part #s , but ...

Hope you get it sorted .

Normally availability probably wouldn't be a problem... But that is a Dexter Nev-R-Lube ONLY supplied by Timken and If you can find one it must be pressed in using a fairly specific procedure with special equipment...

Dave

1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Good catch that not more was damaged. Be safe!!

Yes that should have been added to the good - at least the wheel wasn't bouncing down the road after tearing out the side of the 5th. :huh::wacko:

Dave

Central trailer supply. 8225 Central Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108. Should have to be able to get anything you need. Well stocked and prices not too bad. Also if you have time check here http://www.easternmarine.com/

Ronbo -- As long as the spindle is ok those might work for possible parts. Best solution might be a total new hub assembly with bearing already pressed in, change out to old caliper so I don't have to replace brake pads on all six wheels then get to winter area for more extensive measures.

We have thought of Central Trailer Supply (frequented them often in the 30+ years we lived in the Albuq area). Still hoping to not have to make the 400-mile round trip, though! Sure NOT going to tow the trailer 200 miles to Albuquerque with only two wheels on one side.

Dave

If nothing else, call Youngs Welding in Chanute, KS. They carry the Mor/Ryde bearings.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

If nothing else, call Youngs Welding in Chanute, KS. They carry the Mor/Ryde bearings.

Ken

Thanks Ken

I don't think the bearings will be too much trouble to source (from past readings they may be all Chinese though), the problem is finding a place around here to have them pressed in !

Was just under there checking things out, other five bearings look and act ok, however the Mor-Ride rubber spring on the bad location is definitely shot. Still hoping the spindle is OK..

Dave

How old is your IS?

Just over 5 years, Dexter parts are warranted for 100K miles (which we are nowhere close to) OR 5 years... :(:unsure:

Dave

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully the spindle is ok and you only need bearings. That should be an easy fix.

That brings up a question?

I'm planning to go full time next June and am in the process of deciding what parts I should have on hand. I was thinking of carrying a set of bearings with races in my toolkit. Does anyone else do this or would you just find a parts dealer and buy new parts if you have.a problem? I worry about being far from a parts dealer. I could replace a bad bearing in about an hour and be back on the road.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully the spindle is ok and you only need bearings. That should be an easy fix.

That brings up a question?

I'm planning to go full time next June and am in the process of deciding what parts I should have on hand. I was thinking of carrying a set of bearings with races in my toolkit. Does anyone else do this or would you just find a parts dealer and buy new parts if you have.a problem? I worry about being far from a parts dealer. I could replace a bad bearing in about an hour and be back on the road.

Pat

Pat -

Note this thread is about Nev-R-Lube bearings in a Mor/Ryde IS, even if you carried these bearing packs as spares (at about 200 bucks a pop, at least from Dexter and many other places) you still couldn't replace them unless you are also carrying at least a 20 ton press and proper mandrel. For the Nev-R-Lube the best option IMHO is prepacked hubs..... But they are expensive and heavy along with taking up a lot of room.

Will hopefully get a look at the spindle in the morning.... If that is trashed any amount of spare bearings or hubs wouldn't get me on the road in any reasonable time. ;)

For other bearing packs - I have replaced some on occasion in some pretty remote spots, not my favorite thing to do but.... :blink:

Dave.

Dove,

If we were headed to Congress for the winter I would surely find where you are and help.

But we have a friend that has hurricane damage in Florida that we are going to help. This has just came about for sure last Friday.

So my help be on the forum or phone if needed.

Now to your problem. Hopefully the spindle is not damaged. Then the rest is just replacing parts. When you can get them to your location

Those parts should be easy to find if you have a place where you can get them shipped to. And can get to them.

If nothing else call Dexter and they should be able to tell where there are parts in your area.

I have used Six Robblees for parts in Misoula Mt. They have several stores in the northwest and can ship parts. I see them delivering in Kalispell several times a week. Last winter I called for something odd and they had it in stock.

If the spindle is good then parts only

Now if spindle is bad. I have seen where the old spindle is removed from the arm. The new spindle put in dry ice or freezer over night.

Then press new pindle place and weld it on the back side.

Now if needed you may need to remove the axle for the RV and take to a welding shop to have it fixed then put it back in place.

I will see if Six Roblees have current web site for parts. I do not have one sitting around or I would ship it tomorrow.

Are you where you can work on it.

Stay safe. Vern

Dave, I was just on the Six Robblees site. They have a store in California along with several in the northwest and two in Alaska.

So they may have parts in stock.

Do you have a 4" grinder with you. You may need to split the race to get it off. I did one the other year for a standard bearing by grinding the race in two to remove it. A shop in Kalispell had a hub that fit. But the splindle was bad. I was real busy so the customer remove the axle and had a welding shop install a new spindle.

Yea. Not fun on the move to have a problem like you have.

Did you see smoke or just see something odd

With thinking about this problem more is the axle assembly independent on each side or does the axle assembly include both spindle assemblies.

If it is independent and the rubber spring is bad. Then maybe just get the whole assembly.

Things happen. Stay Safe, Vern

In Farmington there is Basin Tire & Auto which does a lot work Tire -Brake work on all sizes. That is where i would start. I don't remember if the machine was Basin Tire or another name. If you have standard bearing off the self they be put on the bus for fast delivery.

(505) 325-5890

1110 Hutton Ave
Farmington, NM

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I was just on Dexters website. If you look at the warranty section they have extended the torque flex to 10 years.

Things maybe better tomorrow than it looks tonight.

Get some rest for tomorrow's subject.

If you need to get the bearing installed, there should be a shop in Farmington as that is in oilfield country.

Darn Vern I was looking forward to seeing your pretty face this winter.... But ya got to help those folks...

Tire pressure alarm started going off.... Over pressure and high temp everything sizzling hot, too hot to touch but not smoking yet. By the time I got tools out to remove tire along side of road hub etc were around 300 deg.

As usual we think alike... have considered the options you mention. If spindle is hosed will try to get the IS beam assembly complete with hub all together

Talked to Dexter late Friday after we limped to a safer location (not on the side of a 65 MPH highway). They didn't have any locations around here to offer for parts but and were explicit about not spending money on parts without knowing the condition of the spindle. Most likely location is going to be Albuquerque about 200 mi.

Got a place to check out tomorrow (frame shop) , not open on weekend.

BTW Renee's response to Congress is "BUMMER"

Dave

In Farmington there is Basin Tire & Auto which does a lot work Tire -Brake work on all sizes. That is where i would start. I don't remember if the machine was Basin Tire or another name. If you have standard bearing off the self they be put on the bus for fast delivery.

(505) 325-5890

1110 Hutton Ave

Farmington, NM

Clay

Clay

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Just to be a little funny Dave ..... I think the smoke was back the road a few miles along with the rollers them selves

One could squeeze some grease in the bearing area and it have a large enough washer to make the wheel stay on . And sneak down the road about 5 miles per hour if need be.

You may want really look at the other assemblies close to make sure

Good luck tomorrow, Vern

Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that the bearings were pressed in to the Nev-R-Lube axles. You are correct that I have standard hubs so I could easily replace a bearing if the spindle was not damaged.

Hopefully the only damage you have is the bearing assemblies and you can get back on the road.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

I jack up each wheel every month or so while traveling and wiggle to check for play. So far I've only had one failure in seven years of snowbird travel with my never-lube bearings and it was an odd one because the bearing itself was fine but the hole in the hub that the bearing is supposed to be pressed into had elongated. Since then I have carried a spare hub/rotor/bearing assy for easy change over if I need it. As far as finding someone to press in the new bearing, any auto shop can do it as these types of bearings have been used on cars for years.

Well there is good so far and bad.... the good - the spindle looks pretty good at least under the first half of the race. Some heat discoloration but no gouging.

The bad- the back half of the race is welded behind the spindle.... :unsure:

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_2007a.JPG

Trying to decide which to try.... 4 inch grinder to cut welding off behind race or use air cutoff wheel to get through at intersection of race and back end of spindle. Kind of awkward position for either. :(:unsure:

Dave

If that rough looking piece is the inner part of the bearing, it may just be held on by the weld junk. If you can get that off, the other piece may slide off. If you isle a air grinder to split it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived