Unexpected/unwanted layover in Kirtland NM

strawdog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.... got the race off, used 4" angle grinder. Weld was on bottom side so awkward working upside down. Angle grinder was a bit too aggressive I think, maybe should have used the air cutoff wheel and cleaned up with the grinder..... Less ugly. :huh:

But I didn't destroy anything that I can tell.... :wub:

Not an expert but spindle looks ok to me -

IMG_2014a.JPG

IMG_2015a.JPG

IMG_2018a.JPG

Some heat discoloration, no apparent galling, no roughness you can feel with a finger, just a slight scratch that is barely felt with a fingernail caused when I twisted the race off.

Will start parts search in the morning, know I need a new rubber spring for the Mor/Ryde. Hub looks a little rough, probably go with a new hub bearing combination and save the old one to rebuild later for a spare if possible.

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

So my brother the trailer repair guy looked at the picture's

1. From the pictures your spindle looks fine just clean it up

2 he said it looks like Never lube bearings, so get your wallet out cause they aren't cheap!

No warranties just advice .

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

So my brother the trailer repair guy looked at the picture's

1. From the pictures your spindle looks fine just clean it up

2 he said it looks like Never lube bearings, so get your wallet out cause they aren't cheap!

No warranties just advice .

Nana

Thanks, and right on all accounts, waiting for parts.... with the Mor/Ryde IS rubber spring and new hub - into it for around $560 or so...Wo Hoo :):P;):blink:

Dave

1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Ok.... got the race off, used 4" angle grinder. Weld was on bottom side so awkward working upside down. Angle grinder was a bit too aggressive I think, maybe should have used the air cutoff wheel and cleaned up with the grinder..... Less ugly. :huh:

But I didn't destroy anything that I can tell.... :wub:

Not an expert but spindle looks ok to me -

IMG_2014a.JPG

IMG_2015a.JPG

IMG_2018a.JPG

Some heat discoloration, no apparent galling, no roughness you can feel with a finger, just a slight scratch that is barely felt with a fingernail caused when I twisted the race off.

Will start parts search in the morning, know I need a new rubber spring for the Mor/Ryde. Hub looks a little rough, probably go with a new hub bearing combination and save the old one to rebuild later for a spare if possible.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I looked at your pictures. Can you tell me what color the shaft was after you removed the race off. It looks like the shaft has a blue color on it. If there is any blue color on the shaft that tells me the temperature of the shaft was between 500*f / 550*f. With temperatures being in the 500 degree range the shaft has lost some Rockwell C hardness. You are going to send some good money getting your trailer fixed. Why not replace the shaft if all possible. I want to see that you are safe going down the road. I would error on the side of safe. I know that I could be wrong. I have heat treated steel for 35 years before retiring. There is a color chart that shows what color steel gets verse the temperature. You could keep the old parts as a spare replacement.

Good luck on your repair,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al -

You are correct, there is definitely some surface bluing on the spindle, also some streaks of yellow brown/red brown in the end of the spindle, all indicating temps in the range of 480-550 range if I am correct. Also if you notice in the first picture in the thread there are some heat indications on the rotor (also bluing) especially where the brake pads clamped while everything was hot.

Amateur/unintended annealing/normalizing of the steel :blink::(:blink: !!!???

Lots to consider here. :o

Dave

Dave,

What has happen is that the shaft has got re-tempered. With temperatures in the 500's the Rockwell C hardness on the shaft could be in the mid fifties. Some where between Rc 54 to Rc 58. It is also possible for the shaft to chance size because of the re-tempering. The hardness on the bearing should be Rc 58 min to Rc 62 max. The higher the number the harder the steel is. I hope this helps a little.

Al

Al-

One of my biggest concerns is the possibility that the threads on the shaft are tempered to the degree that they will be over stretched/strip out when the spindle nut is torqued on. Spec is 140-150 foot pounds.

Dave

How are you going to align the assembly once you install it. It doesn't take long to ruin a tire.

Ronbo-

Excellent question, the Mor/Ryde IS suspension alignment is all done on the Torque Bracket Assembly. The Beam Assembly on which the spindle is located can be removed and replaced without changing the settings on the TBA, so no alignment settings should be messed with...... Unless a new Beam assembly were to be bent or manufactured improperly.

Dave

Dave, not sure what I can add here, lots of good advice already supplied. I don't have Moryde and I don't have Never-Lubes. A bearing did go bad on one of my wheels and Vern fixed it. The spindle got chewed up a little and Vern used a stainless thin sleeve to cover the area. These are specifically made for these purposes but you don't seem to need it since your damage is in another area. Also there was roughness in the area where the bearing seal rotates and Vern fixed it with emery cloth. Other than that we made couple hundred miles trips (in Florida) to find replacement Dexter hydraulic brakes to replace the burnt up one. Unfortunately that is the only solution if you are stuck in the middle of (quaint) nowhere. Or, pay exorbitant shipping charges. From an engineering point of view Never-Lubes sound weird, but I had "regular bearings" and they burnt up too. (After about 15 years and neglect). But you have to deal with what you have.

H

H -

Thanks for looking, what are your thoughts on the surface bluing/tempering issue for the spindle?

Dave

If you could remove what the spindle is on and take it to a welding shop for repairs, it might be a good idea.

Call Dexter and ask them about the discoloration and what they recommend. Replacing the spindle or can you use it as is.

I know you did not want that thought, but better to fix correctly now than later.

Safe Travels, Vern

With searching the Dexter site it looks like they may not sell the spindle for your situation. But you may be able the to get a new assembly that will have a replaceable spindle.

Hopefully you can use the old spindle.

You could be in Montana where it has been raining on and off for almost three weeks.

And help me lube my wheel bearing and install new tires in between showers.

Stay Safe, Vern

Vern -

Be glad to help... Bring it on over.... :):ph34r:

When are you guys getting out of there? That rain will soon be turning white and when they start treating the roads any wet spots you go through will turn everything you have to RUST.

Getting ready to call Dexter, the service person there is pretty good.

Looks like our plans to head deep into the New Mexico outback for the Elk rut are out now. Our plan if possible is to replace the hub bearing assembly and the rubber spring and go the 475 miles to Congress for further stuff if possible, but who knows.

Dave

Al-

One of my biggest concerns is the possibility that the threads on the shaft are tempered to the degree that they will be over stretched/strip out when the spindle nut is torqued on. Spec is 140-150 foot pounds.

Dave

Dave,

I hope that you are some place where you could work on the spindle safely. My thinking is that the threads on the shaft are ok to torque to 140 ft-lbs. to get you back on the road. I know that this might sound like double work. I would get the trailer repaired so I can get to a good place to make the repairs correct. For my own peace of mind, I would replace the shaft. You can keep this used shaft for an emergency. Is this shaft on your New Horizon trailer ? Have you called New Horizon to see if they might have the parts that you need. If need be, I can call some of my friends at work to see what the tensile strength of the shaft might be. There is a correlation between Rockwell C and tensile strength.

This is just my thought, I would never use a Never Lube Bearing. To me it is a limited time use bearing. You can not do any service on that style of bearing.

Wish you the best in your repair,

Al

Dave,

I hope that you are some place where you could work on the spindle safely. My thinking is that the threads on the shaft are ok to torque to 140 ft-lbs. to get you back on the road. I know that this might sound like double work. I would get the trailer repaired so I can get to a good place to make the repairs correct. For my own peace of mind, I would replace the shaft. You can keep this used shaft for an emergency. Is this shaft on your New Horizon trailer ? Have you called New Horizon to see if they might have the parts that you need. If need be, I can call some of my friends at work to see what the tensile strength of the shaft might be. There is a correlation between Rockwell C and tensile strength.

This is just my thought, I would never use a Never Lube Bearing. To me it is a limited time use bearing. You can not do any service on that style of bearing.

Wish you the best in your repair,

Al

Al

What you describe is exactly the problem we are in. No we are not in a good place to do a total repair, need to move about 475 miles then things will be good.

Dave

Al

What you describe is exactly the problem we are in. No we are not in a good place to do a total repair, need to move about 475 miles then things will be good.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I wish I was closer to you so I could help you out. I am on the wrong side of the Mississippi to help.

Best of luck with the repairs,

Al

Ok... So info from Dexter is that the heat discoloration is not a problem, they say “Polish shaft install new hub and go!" :ph34r:

Great news....

So now twiddle thumbs waiting for parts.... :wacko:

Dave

However hot it got ------ I am sure it was hotter than grease likes to be. As there was none.

I can say this now that your fix should be fairly simple.

Blankety blank thing anyway.

Now if it stays wet in Montana I may need some stones in the ditch that we have to cross to get out.

Stay Safe, Vern

Now if it stays wet in Montana I may need some stones in the ditch that we have to cross to get out.

Stay Safe, Vern

Just make sure you don't stay till that ditch freezes over...

Dave

Now that you are flexible enough to crawl around under there. You may want to look at the rear of the hub assembly on the other wheels.

Looking for any signs of oil or grease at the back of the hub assembly. I think you can see the back of the hub with disk brakes.

Just saying, well ya know what I'm thinking.

Now to grease my wheel bearings and install new tires today. Between the rain drops.

Safe Travels, Vern

get a band aid on it ,and get some were you can service all other axles, time to replace the other bearings , i had a very similar bering issue with never lubs this summer, i changed axles to get serviceable bearing. i am in albq if you need any help ,drop me a line if you wish. Dwain

2001 volvo 660 single.430hp autoshift 2011 Mobile Suites 38rssb3

get a band aid on it ,and get some were you can service all other axles, time to replace the other bearings , i had a very similar bering issue with never lubs this summer, i changed axles to get serviceable bearing. i am in albq if you need any help ,drop me a line if you wish. Dwain

Dwain -- That's exactly what we plan to do. Awaiting parts & will head directly to North Ranch instead of roughing it in the NM mountains first. Don't know if you remember, but I chatted with you guys at NR a couple winters ago & you mentioned returning at some point. Will you be there this year?

Renee

Archived