Anyone had experience with Cricket unlimited plan?

kinseypw

from their ad

$65/mo after $5 Auto Pay Credit
  • Unlimited High-Speed Data Access*
  • Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text
  • Group Save Discount Eligible

So I called a Cricket store and was told they really mean unlimited - no throttling over a certain data limit. I will definitelu use 20-50gb/month so this looks ideal and we are Canadian snowbirds and can use this in Canada as well as US

Anyone actually tried this? I understand they are on the AT&T network which is not too bad for the areas we go.

but how would they know??

I'm not that familiar with Cricket so I don't know what kind of validation they use. There may be some way to get around their prohibition, but it's pretty easy to trace your usage.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

A lot of the latest software (Apple and Android) easily report when your phone is in tether mode and hence they can easily block your phone from being able enable the wifi or bluetooth tethering. There are ways around it if you are tech savy, but most require rooting your phone at a minimum to make it work. Even if you find a way to allow your phone to tether, your phone easily can still report what internet traffic is from the phone and what is tethered, so they would still know and then you would be violating your TOS.

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

We have now had Cricket for 1 1/2 years. Has worked fine all over the country. We just came back from Canada and the phone worked fine(mostly) but we never had any tethering available. We didn't need it much, just once or twice and then it wasn't available. Might be in the agreement between Cricket and the Canadian providers. 20-50g/month is a lot of use.

I think Tmoble just came out with a plan for 50g/month, special offer only good until 10/31.

As you've heard from others, the Cricket Wireless Plans have these additional caveats:

- All data is throttled to 8 mbps down, regardless of usage (which is fine for most things, most folks won't notice it)

- It is a tier 3 level carrier, even though owned by AT&T. This means traffic can be de-priotized over direct AT&T customers, and expect higher ping times due to the way traffic is routed.

- They allow no mobile hotspot use on the unlimited plan - it is smartphone only on device use. There are ways to get around it, but it is a violation of terms of service, and the carrier may in the future crack down on this (yes, they can tell - mostly by the type of data being sent, such as over non-mobile browsers.)

Here's our write-up on Cricket Wireless with more information: Cricket Wireless

There is an alternative offered by 4G Antenna Shop, who claims to have an agreement with Cricket Wireless to resell their plans for use in mobile hotspots. Same price ($65/month). Here's more information on them: 4G Antenna Shop

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Just to back up what Chris/Cherie say, I found 4GAS through their site (thanks for doing all the hard work!) and just ordered a plan through them. Cricket/AT&T, usable in a hotspot, same 8MB limitation. Ordered a Unite Pro from Ebay, and should have it up and running by next week. They have a Blast plan for $108 that does not have any limitations, but since this is a backup, I went with the standard $69 plan.

I have a nephew and his wife and mother that have Cricket. They like it, except that they can't send or receive text pictures from anyone other than those on the Cricket network. All three of them have iPhones.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I don't know how it works, but I've been using a Netgear "Unite" 770S hotspot with a $69/mo unlimited 4G/LTE Cricket/AT&T plan from Mobile Solutions for the past couple of weeks that's worked quite well everywhere I've been to date. I've only used about 22GB this month so far, but there's no signs of any throttling. The speeds have typically been in the 7-8 meg down and 4-5 meg up range just as with the other Cricket plans mentioned. The monthly invoice comes directly from Mobile Solutions, not from Cricket. This is the same outfit that offers a $5/mo unlimited Verizon 3G only hotspot plan and an $89/mo unlimited 4G/LTE Verizon hotspot plan. As I understand after speaking with the owner, at least the Cricket/AT&T plan can be started and stopped on a monthly basis, a feature that should appeal to part-time RV'ers in particular. I know he's had timely shipping issues in the past, and I can't say whether that's been completely cleared up yet or not. I can say he's shipped everything I've ordered so far, and the wait has been worth it in the long run.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

:) I have a Cricket Phone, can't say much yet about if it is good for on the move RVERS! I have the $60.00 month, 10GB plan with the $10.00 Hot Spot feature. I use the Opera Browser with the Opera Mini add on. Before I was using Google and it used up my data about 2.,5 weeks, then slowed down and could not play a short video! Since Opera I usually have about 1-2 GBs left at the end of the 30 days! unfortunately it does not rollover!

There may be better plans but I am satisfied. Going to Grand Rapids Michigan for Thanksgiving and find out how it works there!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived