3G to 4G Verizon data only

crstrm

Greetings,

We currently have an unlimited 3G data plan with Verizon. We use a USB card with a Cradlepoint router that is 3G/4G compatible. We want to move to 4G. Our current router will support a Novatel USB551L modem or a Hauwei 3C168. We still use a dumb phone so we dont need any other configuration at this time.

Our questions:

Can anyone comment on their experience with the USB551L modem or the Hauwei 3C168?

We would prefer to keep our unlimited data plan even if it means purchasing the new modem through ebay or

another store besides Verizon. Will Verizon allow us to keep our unlimited plan or will we have to move to one of their new 4G data plans?

We will be talking to Verizon but we wanted to get other feedback before we called them.

Thanks for your time.

Connie

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

I have a very big dislike for 4G, I never noticed anything change except my data usage went from 6GB to 18 GB per month

Disclaimer: I am not a network engineer.

I have read that the reason for this is because at the higher download rates the "quality" of the download goes up, i.e., higher resolution for videos, pics, and even text. It does sort of make sense to me, but perhaps someone else can put a more technical spin on it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a network engineer.

I have read that the reason for this is because at the higher download rates the "quality" of the download goes up, i.e., higher resolution for videos, pics, and even text. It does sort of make sense to me, but perhaps someone else can put a more technical spin on it.

Interesting... I would think they would ask if we wanted high resolution ! Kinda reminds me of when I moved here my signal was good for two days and since then nothing nada zilch. And I was told that my phone stored the signal when I came from a good signal and it lasted for two days !! Do pigs really fly ?

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Greetings,

We currently have an unlimited 3G data plan with Verizon. We use a USB card with a Cradlepoint router that is 3G/4G compatible. We want to move to 4G. Our current router will support a Novatel USB551L modem or a Hauwei 3C168. We still use a dumb phone so we dont need any other configuration at this time.

Our questions:

Can anyone comment on their experience with the USB551L modem or the Hauwei 3C168?

We would prefer to keep our unlimited data plan even if it means purchasing the new modem through ebay or

another store besides Verizon. Will Verizon allow us to keep our unlimited plan or will we have to move to one of their new 4G data plans?

We will be talking to Verizon but we wanted to get other feedback before we called them.

Thanks for your time.

Connie

Both of those USB modems are rather obsolete for the current Verizon network (they've expanded quite a bit into new frequencies that are not supported on those modems - so you'd be missing out on a lot of the advantages of LTE). For USB modems, the current model is the Novatel U620L - which is the one we'd recommend for maximum compatibility.

But your bigger issue will be getting your unlimited data plan converted to 4G. We've heard of some just walking into a Verizon store and asking for a SIM card being activated on their line - and voila, it works. And we've had others have absolutely no luck getting Verizon to switch them to a 4G plan. Just depends on how your plan originated as to if it's eligible or not. And some reps at Verizon will be clueless or put up blocks for you. Sometimes it's worth trying several stores before giving up.

Good luck!

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Thanks for your responses and experiences.

I have read in PC magazines that when you move to 4G you use more data than 3G for a variety of reasons. I would agree with Jim n Sue that it would be nice to be able to select whether you wanted high or low resolution...

We're still on the fence about the switch. However,if we do go with 4G, we would probably bite the bullet and go with a newer USB card as Technomadia suggests along with a new Cradlepoint router or even MiFi. Of course, we'll try to get our unlimited 3G plan converted to 4G.

Again, thanks for your responses.

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

Howdy!

We have a grandfather 3G unlimited Verizon MiFi and I have tried several times for the last few years to get a new MiFi device. Verizon flat out refuses to help us even though they no longer have 3G devises available. All they tell us is if we get a new MiFi which will have to be 4g then we will lose our unlimited and have to go to a data plan.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Same issue when I had a 4G modem go bad. Verizon only has 4G MiFis. I went to eBay. The SIM card moves easy.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You know, a thought occurs to me, with all you all wanting to keep 3G as opposed to 4G due to data usage.

I am not a paid T-Mobile poster boy, but I have had T-Mobile service pretty much ever since the company came into existence. I have seen the company grow and expand their services. Do they have the coverage of Verizon or ATT? Maybe not, but they are pretty darned close and expanding more daily.

I have an unlimited plan with T-Mobile (which is truly unlimited) and if I have bad wifi service in a campground I can hotspot my (our) phones so it doesn't matter. I do have an ATT pay as you go hotspot, but the monthly fee for that is almost as much as my total bill with T-Mobile for 2 lines of service. Have I used it? Yes, although rarely.

The point here is that you should be looking very closely at the various plans, providers and coverage areas and not think you are locked into a particular carrier.

My $0.02.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived