WiFi Ranger and Max Signal Help

Dejae

Hi All.

We just bought a Max Signal (not installed yet) and want to get a wifi ranger.

My first question is how do I know what wifi ranger we need? I have read and read on their sight and even watched their video and I think it might have confused me more.

Here is what we have

4 laptops but only 2 running at one time.

a wireless brother printer, that can be ran wired but was hoping not to.

and soon to be max signal.

Can someone help me along (in layman's terms please) I am only barely savvy in computer goodies!! :unsure:

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Hi All.

We just bought a Max Signal (not installed yet) and want to get a wifi ranger.

My first question is how do I know what wifi ranger we need? I have read and read on their sight and even watched their video and I think it might have confused me more.

Here is what we have

4 laptops but only 2 running at one time.

a wireless brother printer, that can be ran wired but was hoping not to.

and soon to be max signal.

Can someone help me along (in layman's terms please) I am only barely savvy in computer goodies!! :unsure:

Doc j will advise you on how to go with Wifi Ranger stuff. The two systems operate on different frequencies so they are compatible.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

My first question is how do I know what wifi ranger we need?

As Gord has already noted, the Ranger and his Maximum Signal amplifier work completely independently of each other and do not interfere with each other. I'm sure you are aware that they serve two totally different roles; one amplifies cellular signals and the other amplifies wifi signals at RV parks or other locations.

The different WiFiRanger models all do basically the same thing--they receive wifi signals from some source and re-transmit them to the devices on your local network. The differences between the devices in the Ranger product line represent differences in their ability to receive and amplify wifi signals. At one end of the spectrum a relatively low-cost, indoor device such as a WiFiRanger Go2 or even a Mini can serve as a complete solution for someone who stays at RV parks where the wifi signal is pretty strong and the primary reason for having a Ranger is more one of network convenience. On the other hand, someone who expects to be using wifi at fairly long distances, such as from the parking lot of a Walmart or McDonalds or at a park that you know has weak wifi, most likely will desire the high level of amplification provided by the WiFiRanger Elite which, with its rooftop installation, provides a state-of-the-art level of wifi signal gathering capability.

Although I do serve as an ambassador for WiFiRanger to the RV community, I try to make sure that potential customers understand that no device, regardless of what company manufactures it, can turn an inadequate, overloaded wifi system into a good one. A WiFiRanger (or the equivalent device made by half a dozen other companies) can assist you in connecting to a park's wifi but, to a large degree, the performance of the wifi system is unaffected by the presence of the amplifier.

From my personal perspective, I find that one of the best reasons for owning a Ranger is that the myriad of web-enabled devices in my MH can remain connected to the Ranger and, with a single key-stroke, I can connect the entire network to a park's wifi or my cellular hotspot without having to connect each device individually. I find that I am far more likely to try a park's wifi if I don't have to manually enter passwords into all my computers, phones, tablets, Rokus and other devices. If the wifi is acceptable connecting to it is easy; if it starts to bog down I can reverse the process and re-connect to the phone in an instant. Since all Ranger devices do basically the same thing, your purchasing decision should be based on your anticipated reception distance needs and your budget.

I hope I have answered your basic questions about WiFiRanger's products; if you have additional specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks for the info above. I have done more research on the Ranger and it seems like a good solution for your WiFi needs but I'm struggling with wrapping my head around the cellular part of this. I have read blogs that recommend the WeBoost and then they use a Jetpack (I have Verizon) for their cellular WiFi but I like the idea of the of a single source change location for all devices whether I have am using WiFi or cellular for my data. I went to the Maximun Signal Web Site and not sure if they are working on it or ?? but I could'nt get the info I need for that device. Does the Max Sig device plug right into the Ranger router for Data? Also noticed in some of the videos and posts that you have to be fairly close to the WEBoost internal antennae to get the max benefit from that for boosting cell signals. Is that the same for the Max Sig? Would I still use the Jetpack with the Max Sig? Thanks for any help. We are getting ready to hit the road from WI and want to get this taken care of soon as it's getting chilly here. :)

Thanks for the info above. I have done more research on the Ranger and it seems like a good solution for your WiFi needs but I'm struggling with wrapping my head around the cellular part of this. I have read blogs that recommend the WeBoost and then they use a Jetpack (I have Verizon) for their cellular WiFi but I like the idea of the of a single source change location for all devices whether I have am using WiFi or cellular for my data. I went to the Maximun Signal Web Site and not sure if they are working on it or ?? but I could'nt get the info I need for that device. Does the Max Sig device plug right into the Ranger router for Data? Also noticed in some of the videos and posts that you have to be fairly close to the WEBoost internal antennae to get the max benefit from that for boosting cell signals. Is that the same for the Max Sig? Would I still use the Jetpack with the Max Sig? Thanks for any help. We are getting ready to hit the road from WI and want to get this taken care of soon as it's getting chilly here. :)

No physical connection needed with the Maximum signal amplifier , Also does not have to be right next to it as the Maximum Signal Rv package should cover your entire RV.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Sounds like the product category you might be looking for is what we call 'mobile routers'.

The WiFiRanger is one such example, however to handle cellular inputs - it does need to tether to a modem (MiFi/Jetpack, smartphone, etc). There are advantages to this approach, and of course trade-offs.

There are others out there that have integrated cellular modems and support WiFi as WAN (so no tethering to a MiFi needed). They often have cellular antenna ports, so you can use dual MIMO antennas to enhance the signal (oftentimes bypassing the need for a booster like the weBoost or MaxAmp - but you can use a booster too if desired). They're higher priced of course, but when you factor in the cost of a router, booster and Jetpack - they can be worth taking a look at as an option.

To learn more about the options out there, we just released a brand new updated guide to mobile routers at:

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/routers (the intro and product listings are free to the public, the in-depth guide & video& reviews are part of our membership benefits).

For the past couple months we've personally been primarily using the Pepwave Max BR1 with a single embedded modem with SIM slots for two carriers (we can switch between them as needed) with a MobileMark MIMO antenna on the roof. But we of course mix it up and test out a variety of gear constantly.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Archived