Australian Conqueror UEV coming to USA

ceciltguitar

Camper trailers are about the most common form of 'RVing' in Australia. My guess is that they are second only to caravans/trailers.

Keep in mind that generally speaking the USA Rving industry is about size and luxury. Whereas the Australian industry is about small and self sufficiency. Less than 10% of the Australian industry is made up of motorhomes. And then only a very very small part of the 10% are bigger than a C Class.

RV sites with full hook up are 'almost' no existent.

We have traveled the USA since the early 1980's. Mostly in an RV. We have never figured out why Americans have never adopted off road camper trailers given all you wonderful natural camping areas. Maybe it's just that while loving adventure that love ends at the lack of any home comforts.

Anyone interested should Google camper trailer in Australia. Here's a starting point. http://www.marketdirect.com.au/

Keep in mind that this site is for 'cheap' Chinese made units. But for the Chinese to be involved highlights there popularity.

regards

We have traveled the USA since the early 1980's. Mostly in an RV. We have never figured out why Americans have never adopted off road camper trailers given all you wonderful natural camping areas. Maybe it's just that while loving adventure that love ends at the lack of any home comforts.

regards

$73k, before a price drop, for a cheap Chinese unit? More than I'd pay for a 17' hybrid trailer, solid wall hybrid or not. A freind of mine had a brother in the Aus. caravan business. Sturdy units, with some beautiful interiors, but, wow, the pricing.

internal.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Where did you get the $73000.00 from?

They start about A$5000.00. That's FIVE thousand not Fifty thousand. About US$4000.00. For a Chinese built one. Top of the line locally made one would be about US$50000.00.

Keep in mind that these units are built to go off road. Not just a mile two on a dirt road. Days and days at a time on dirt roads. Those that we see on the roads in the USA that 'look' like our camper trailers wouldn't last but a few short miles on our roads. Units such as a US built Jayco fold up trailer "aren't" off road trailers.

regards

Bruce, per your link, the XT17-HRT is plastered with "Was $73k" advertising. If these are Aus. manufactured, I apologize for the mistake. The $5k units at your link are barely even what would be considered a "pop-up", or tent trailer, with it's "soft floor". It's also reduced to $5500.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ah I see. Now you are comparing apples with oranges!!! :)

The xt17 is a full blown off road caravan. These aren't very common. Price may well have something to do with that. I'm not even sure where those units are made.

My posts we re "camper trailers". These are the 'real' off road work horses. Very common in Australia. Dozens of them to choose from.

Either way we never did figure out why the American market hasn't picked up on this market. If you go into a 'typical' USA campground the majority of campers will be in RVs. Very few tents. Where as in Australia the vast majority of campers will be in either caravans/trailers or tents. The camper trailer is sort of both yet neither one!!

Just different markets. Different expectations. A far greater proportion of Australian camping is done in the 'bush'. By comparison few Americans 'dry' camp or bush camp.

Neither is better. Just different.

regards

Either way we never did figure out why the American market hasn't picked up on this market. If you go into a 'typical' USA campground the majority of campers will be in RVs. Very few tents. Where as in Australia the vast majority of campers will be in either caravans/trailers or tents. The camper trailer is sort of both yet neither one!!

There is a very large US market in tents and equipment for back country use, but not so much in RVs for that. There are many choices in equipment for travel on foot into road-less areas. I suspect that most of those who spend extended time in such areas, and there are many of them, do so on foot or on horseback and that leaves too little market for the off road RV industry. There are only a few places in the US which can't be reached in less than a day if you travel with a 4WD vehicle, while the largest part of the country of AU is best accessed in that way. If you were to visit the US wilderness areas you would find that there are plenty of folks who use them but they get there on foot or horseback because motorized vehicles are prohibited.

Because we have a far better and more complete road system there is not that much area which requires, or even justifies the sort of RV which is more typical there. But the RV market that we do have is far larger than AU and has a much greater availability of new places to visit, most with good roads to travel on. I do not know of anywhere in the USA that one could travel for 100 miles (161K) that they would not cross a road or even a paved road, with exception of Alaska. But it would be easy to travel 10 times that far in AU and find no paved roads and probably not difficult to find a place to travel that far with no roads at all. Compare a trip by RV from Brisbane to Darwin (2,130 miles/3,400 Km) to one across the US from Chicago to San Fransisco, a trip of very nearly the same distance. Consider the typical roads for each trip and the type of campsites that is available in each one and it will probably help you to understand the reason that our two RV markets are so very different.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Given the choice I would rather lay my head down each night in a comfy US built RV. As Kirk points out there is such a limited number of place you can do that in Australia. Add to that the non competitive market here in Australia and cost becomes a huge factor for many as well.

Australians are more prepared to rough it but maybe that's because they have little choice or alternatives.

Besides in the USA it's nice to have a bear proof RV :wacko:

regards

Archived