How often to replace a Rhinoflex sewer hose

Our Rhinoflex has been in daily use for 3 1/2 years - still in good shape, no problems. However, someone posted on Facebook what I think is a very good deal, $17.32 for the complete 15' kit ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OUMVWY ). I bought it for a backup, but got to thinking that you really don't want to wait for the sewer hose to fail before replacing it! That got me to wondering how long of service other fulltimers get out of these hoses. As I say, we're at 3.5 years on ours. How about you?

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We have purchased two RhinoFlex hoses in the last three years. The first one was defective when we bought it, but because you can take the end off cut off the bad section( about the first foot) and replace the end, we were then able to use it. We used it that winter, and the following summer where it was hooked up continuously from April till the end of October. When I went to put it away, it cracked wherever it bent. Off to the dumpster it went. We got a replacement from the Camco Dealer in the Big Tent at Quartzsite. Because the previous one had failed, she sold us a new one at half price. We used it the remainder of our snowbird season, and when we returned to Iowa for the summer, it was hooked up permanently for the summer. A month or so ago I moved it just a bit and it cracked, so again off to the dumpster. I guess I am a slow learner. Even though I really liked features of the hose, I learned it is not made to lay in the sun for any length of time.

One more issue is that we have the Camco clear 45 degree adapter hooked to our black land and gray tank outlet to which we hook the Camco hose. This connection started leaking, which is why I moved the hose that then cracked.

Edited by Paul Stough

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Don't know about RhinoFlex directly but I have SewerMaster hoses that are over 10 years old and in fine shape. The SewerMasters are just a few mm thicker that the RhinoFlex. I would expect a few more years than 3 with RhinoFlex.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The only one I bought totally disintegrated after 10 months. Several years later I found one left at a site. It is still good 6-7 years later. The Ramble brand is similar (and last well) but you add your own ends.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We have gone through 2 in almost 4 years. I would guess it all depends on how long it lays in direct sunlight and at what temps. We fulltime so it is out in the weather 24/7 most of the year except when boondocking of course. And we make a move every week or 2 most of the year so it gets expanded and retracted often.

Edited by hdrider

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Replace mine about every 6 months. They start splitting. We are full time and they stay hooked up. Bought the thicker hose recently. It also is not semi rigid like others

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My original Rhinoflex hose lasted 6 years and would have gone longer, but it got stepped on and partially flattened. I'm sure I didn't do it, but I have no idea who or how. I just replaced the hose section and continued using the original ends. I full time and my hose is outside 24/7/365 and 4-5 months of each year it is on southern exposure on the Florida Gulf Coast in the sun. My experience is that this hose if very durable and long lasting. I have had a problem with the Rhinoflex clear 45 degree swivel fitting like a previous post. Mine was leaking between the clear plastic and the colored plastic end. I just bought a new one and no more issues.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Hmmm....good reminder to replace mine. It is just as liable to spew its contents everywhere as put those same contents in the right place. I only think of replacing it when Im using it.....lol.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Mine usually last 2-3 years. I'm use the Waster Master is better--but $120 +. I can buy a lot of Rhino hoses for that price.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I just carry a spare hose and replace when the main one breaks. I have had RhinoFlex hoses last 6 months and others last multiple years. I actually have more than one spare sewer hose, since I have had to run up to about 40' for a sewer connection. I also carry lots of fresh water hose and electric cord.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for all the responses - interesting.

For anyone still following, do your hose failures generally happen as you are extending/collapsing the hose or while you are dumping? As you can guess, spewing contents would be worse than it just cracking while being stored.

Thanks for all the responses - interesting.

For anyone still following, do your hose failures generally happen as you are extending/collapsing the hose or while you are dumping? As you can guess, spewing contents would be worse than it just cracking while being stored.

In the over 10 years we have been using RhinoFlex hoses we have never had one start leaking while it was hooked up except once when a park grass cutter went along it with a weed eater. :unsure::wacko:

Doesn't mean it might not happen the next time I open the dump valve.... :rolleyes: All failures we have had were small cracks usually close to the fittings after the hose had been collapsed, stored then re-extended.

That being said I have noticed that the quality (longevity) of the hoses (not the fittings) has gone down since Camco bought them out....

Dave

Edited by Dave & Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

I just threw mine out this morning 4 1/2 years I dumped the black tank no problem then the gray about 1/2 way through I had like 4 or 5 leaks. For 2 1/2 years it was connected and out in the sun so I'm happy with the time I got from it.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

I've never wanted to find out. They are so cheap I just replace mine every 3 years or so. Mine is only hooked up when actually dumping. Just observing hose failures.. it "seems" leaks tend to occur most often after expanding the hose. I say that simply because I've seen a number of folks at dump stations go frantic with hose failures and can't imagine they would have hooked up a leaky hose if they already knew it was faulty. KWIM?

I'm quite sure mine would last much longer.. I've just never wanted to find out I used it one too many times. ;)

Edited by Yarome

I've used the Rhino hoses exclusively for 10 or 12 years. The longest I've got out of one is probably 1 1/2 years. I've had a couple of them which didn't last a year.

I think there are two factors which dramatically affect their lifespan. The first is environment. If you're parked in an area where the atmosphere is acidic, the hose deteriorates faster. I found this to be common along the coast of Texas where there are many refineries and other petrochemical industries, lot's of acid rain. The worst atmosphere I've been in was in New Mexico during some of the large fires a few years ago. One of my Rhino hoses lasted about six months, but it had ash on it almost constantly. Isn't ash what lye is made from? IMO, rinsing off the hose periodically may help when in these types of environment.

The other factor would be what you put down your drain. I know when I've used clorox in the toilet, my hose didn't last as long. I've also used caustic materials in cleaning the shower, this also affected hose durability.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• 6 months later...

I'm revisiting this thread to answer my own question.  My Rhinoflex lasted just a week shy of 4 years of constant use.  A couple of days ago I noticed a couple of pin holes.  I have a new one on board, so it was time to swap hoses.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

I guess I'm the oddball our RhinoFlex failed in less than a year and I didn't really like how it hooked up at the ground sewer connection.

We bought a Valterra Dominator kit and have been very pleased with it.

When the Dominator quits we might go with the WasterMaster.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

IMO it  depends on were you are. In Florida for 6  months and exposed to the direct sun ours last about three seasons before

they dry out./

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We're fortunate enough to have large tanks, so filling and dumping is done as needed. The proper hoses are brought out, hooked up, used, and put away. I have two Rhinoflex hoses in case I need more hose to get to the sewer connection, but usually use only one. When they are hooked together I often forget which one was which, so I'm sure that both hoses have been used more or less equally.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Hmm , I've heard of those high dollar hoses . 

We have used the el cheapo brown hose ( more than one when needed ) for 6 years . IIRC , we haven't replaced them yet . But , I can see the one usually used is starting to fade in color , which might indicate it could be losing pliability . No leaks , so far .   When it does start leaking , I'll replace it with the one not used as often and then I'll have to but another brown hose to replace the replacement . ;) 

Those brown hoses replaced the seriously el cheapo black hoses that were in the rig when we bought it . That was just after the first year .

Goes around , comes around .

We probably get 5-6 years from our Rhino hose. I don't remember when we replaced it last. We use it once a week to dump and store it away the rest of the time. We use our tanks.

Maybe someone can answer a question that we have always had. Why do people need to hook up the elec, water and sewer each night? Unless it is dumping day, we just use electricity each night and even if we are dumping we put everything away after dumping. I am not talking about small trailers but MHs and big trailers that have plenty of tank capacity.

We like to just get up and go in the morning. Minimize the AM packing up, generally on the road by 8 AM.