Reminder not all RV parks want us.

kbausc

Just a note for all HDT's in Washington State that the Columbia Riverfront RV Park ( not to be confused with Columbia River RV Park) does not welcome our type of RV vehicles. We had stayed in the RV park once and let them know what type of vehicle we were driving. The person on the phone had no issues with the vehicle. When we arrived we were questioned if we had gotten permission to stay. Having told them we had, we were allow to camp for the 3 days we had reserved. A few months latter we again called to make reservations, after being put on hold and passed around to different people the man who picked up the phone last said our kind were not welcome there meaning our RV. They also have a rule that your vehicle can not be more than 10 years old to use there park. Not only do I not recommend this park I hope that others would boycott this park for there discriminatory rules.

1998 Volvo 610 Mid Roof w/trailersaver air

2002 36' KarryAll toyhauler

2013 3905 Voltage EPIC toyhauler

Sorry you had a problem. But, their parks, their rules. They say right on their website that they do not accept HDTs. So, it isn't like this would be a surprise. It appears that the age of the rig restriction is for 30 day or longer stays, but since they use the word "generally", it means that is their way of weeding out what appears to be those rigs that aren't well kept, etc. Lots of parks have that out, especially for extended stays because it can be a problem to evict someone who is an extended stay. That's also a reason why a lot of snowbird parks have a policy of collecting rent for the entire length of stay - up to and including annual stays a year ahead.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I've only run into one park that did not want to take my HDT in 14 years on the road with a Heavy Duty Truck. In that case they did take us, after I assured him I would not tear up his roads. We are no heavier than a DP, and actually, lighter in most cases.

I did have an issue with the Hondo Escapees Coop one time. But that is a different story and was eventually resolved. That was more a matter of "dumb rules" being blindly enforced.

In general it is no issue. But you need to be a good resident and not tear up roads or cut corners. Because our heavy trucks can do damage. No more than a DP, but still, we are "representatives" of HDT RVing.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've only run into one park that did not want to take my HDT in 14 years on the road with a Heavy Duty Truck. In that case they did take us, after I assured him I would not tear up his roads. We are no heavier than a DP, and actually, lighter in most cases.

As someone who has been working at a 100-site RV campground for the past 2 years, HDTs are hardly a problem. Long, yes, but the folks who really tear up the pavement (asphalt in our case) are the RVs using those little yellow plastic cookie cutter things under their support struts -- they drill right through the asphalt. Nice symmetrical patterns though.

On the other hand, real problems are . . .

• the guy with the 40-foot Class A towing a 38-foot SCARAB + a Toad (driven by another family member) expecting to fit in one pull-through site.
  • the beekeeper who needs a spot for his camper and a 40-foot flatbed with beehives
  • the construction company who wants to park their heavy equipment in the campground
  • etc, etc

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

In almost twelve years of full-time RVing we only had one campground and it was in Texas that the owner didn't want the HDT on any of his roads and site because the truck would tear them up. The wife had called earlier and made a reservation and it wasn't a problem. However the owner said no. Like Jack I told him a DP weighed more then our truck. But with this owner that didn't matter we were told to leave.

I don't go fast in campgrounds like a lot of other RVers I've seen do. Top speed a lot of times is 5 mph. So many campgrounds are small and it's an adventure getting around without hitting low hanging branches and rocks or other stuff that can damage tires and/or the truck and trailer. So I doubt I will be tearing up any roads and sites at 5 mph.

We did workamp at lots of southern parks in the winter months that had the 10 year rule and we were under it. Now that we are over it, so far haven't had any problems.

Thanks for all replies. I do understand about park rules although I think it strange that the rule for no HDT's is under Park Features not the rules section. And I can see some parks with the 10 year rule but again there are many 20 year old rigs that look and are much better than a 2 year old RV. I just don't understand the resentment for the HDT's. As stated, their weight distribution is less than some class A's or a standard pickup single rear tire with #3000 of 5th wheel tongue weight. We were just surprised when we were allowed to camp the first time and them, very rudely told we were not welcome.

1998 Volvo 610 Mid Roof w/trailersaver air

2002 36' KarryAll toyhauler

2013 3905 Voltage EPIC toyhauler

I just went to their site and looked at the rule page and realized rather quickly that this is NOT a park I would ever go to. I'm actually surprised they don't ask for a net worth statement when you make your reservation as the park and its rules would appear to be there to keep out the "unwashed". I can hear it now, "Excuse me sir but your net worth is only slightly over 3 million and we require at least a 5 million dollar net worth to be able to associate with our clientele. Please find a park more suitable for your social class for your stay".

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I just went to their site and looked at the rule page and realized rather quickly that this is NOT a park I would ever go to. I'm actually surprised they don't ask for a net worth statement when you make your reservation as the park and its rules would appear to be there to keep out the "unwashed". I can hear it now, "Excuse me sir but your net worth is only slightly over 3 million and we require at least a 5 million dollar net worth to be able to associate with our clientele. Please find a park more suitable for your social class for your stay".

Well said, Georgia Hybrid.

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

As stated above I cant see how an HDT would do any more damage than a DP. My rear axle weighs 20k lbs. but ive never seen those rear wheels do damage other than leave a bit of a rut in soft grass and I rarely park on grass that soft. Unless they dont like the wheeel cut of the steers which can do some damage but again the wheel cut is very similar on both.

As far as the age of my rig...its 15 years old but ive had people think its 2 years old so how would a park know?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I just went to their site and looked at the rule page and realized rather quickly that this is NOT a park I would ever go to.

We've stayed at this park a couple of times and have found it to be very well run. Yes, there are a lot of rules, but as Robert Frost once wrote "Good fences make good neighbors". Having clearly stated rules reduces ambiguity and reduces stress for both customers and management. I read through the entire list just now and don't see any that I think are out of the ordinary.

For those who don't have HDT's I highly recommend this park. We thought watching the big ships on the river was a lot of fun. The channel is narrow at that spot and, as a result, the ships are quite close to you when they pass

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I think you guys are just missing the big picture. It's not the HDT that these campgrounds object to, it's the riff raff who usually drive the HDT. :P

Exactly, if you want to drive a class 8 truck you must be part of the great unwashed masses. I guess they figure they will find us running around in greasy ball caps and coveralls doing our pre-trips :D

2006 Renegade/Freightliner Coronado 43', Detroit, twin screw, 12spd

Just looking at the pictures of how the sites are set up in this park it appears that you would have to park the HDT next to your RV rather than in the front or rear of your RV. For sites all in a row like this and with RVs nowadays have many slideouts, you might be infringing on your neighbor and giving the 'closed in' feeling overall. HDTs are big and imposing. Personally, I wouldn't want to look out my side window with one parked next to me. It would block the small view to the side that these sites already have. Perhaps that's the reason - due to site arrangement.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We stayed there a few years ago, and due to the rules, ended up renting the space nest to us to accommodate family that spent the day visiting us. This was actually a good plan, as they could use the facilities, pool, etc just like all the others. The park is nice, but very tight getting into and out of the spaces, so maybe that is their reason for the HDT restriction.

Just a note for all HDT's in Washington State that the Columbia Riverfront RV Park ( not to be confused with Columbia River RV Park) does not welcome our type of RV vehicles. We had stayed in the RV park once and let them know what type of vehicle we were driving. The person on the phone had no issues with the vehicle. When we arrived we were questioned if we had gotten permission to stay. Having told them we had, we were allow to camp for the 3 days we had reserved. A few months latter we again called to make reservations, after being put on hold and passed around to different people the man who picked up the phone last said our kind were not welcome there meaning our RV. They also have a rule that your vehicle can not be more than 10 years old to use there park. Not only do I not recommend this park I hope that others would boycott this park for there discriminatory rules.

Thanks for posting. We visit in that area several time a year. We've never stayed at this park and now will probably never do so. I looked at all the pictures and read and re-read the rules. As others have noted..... Nothing too much different from many other parks. However reading the reviews throws a very clear picture of what the "heart" of this park really is. The deal with the Good Sam incident says it all for me. That and several other situations makes it clear, to me, that these folks have some people skills deficiencies. We'll stay at our usual place which has none of the "snarkiness issues". Sorry you had to go through your problems but appreciate the heads up. Safe journeys, Dennis.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I could not go there anyway, even without the HDT, since my 5th does not have an RVIA sticker on it. I wonder if they actually inspect for that.....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I could not go there anyway, even without the HDT, since my 5th does not have an RVIA sticker on it. I wonder if they actually inspect for that.....

Jack,

Based on the rules and the reviews I'd guess that they actually do check for the sticker! :)

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Jack,

Based on the rules and the reviews I'd guess that they actually do check for the sticker! :)

.....and No Prevost busses, either, since they typically do not have the sticker.

www.jackdanmayer.com

.....and No Prevost busses, either, since they typically so not have the sticker.

I wonder if a picture or two of Ben Franklin would "loosen" a rule or two? Of course you'd be paying a LOT more! Just wondering. :)

Very nice looking park. Too bad they can't see there way past the HDT issue. Obviously they are looking for a certain audience and I'd have to agree, there are some RV's and trucks that are pretty ratty. To each their own.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

• 2 weeks later...

The ten year rule is not that uncommon. We have that rule at a RV lot that I own

in the UP of MI and it is used to keep junkie looking or home made RVs out of the park.

There are a good number of RVs that are over ten years old there but they must be keep up

and you just ask for permission. The rule works for us and it is enforced by the board of directors

that run the RV park.

I'm just curious as to how the 10-year-old rule could be enforced if other older RVs are allowed to stay. Is it stated in the rule that it's subject to inspection and that some can stay and some can't?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Our rule states that RVs older then 10 years are not allowed without

permission. You must have any RVs older then ten years inspected by a board

committee who has that responsibility. They will ok them if they look good. The rule also reflects

that the decision by the committee is final and that there is no appeal.

I got my first "REJECTION" this year because my MH was "TOO OLD"............

I thought I was back in High School.......

Of course Last Year it was "Too Old" when I stayed there, so I don't quite get it. Could it be because I complained because they mowed down my satellite cable??? Nahh.

I think they are probably just TOOOOO snooty! :rolleyes:

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived