Reminder not all RV parks want us.

kbausc

I traveled with my uncle to AZ and stayed at a resort in Lake Havasua. It was advertised in RV book with club house, gym, pool and BBQ. Cable was to be included and wasnt. When we were staying there they tried to sell us a lot for 60k. I think we paid the regular rate for our stay, not freebie. We were approached by owners having happy hour near club house, advised us that we were not owners and not allowed to use the BBQ or any of the facilities, wow! I told them to take it up with the office when it opens. They had the same 10 year rule.

So I guess you buy a lot for 60k and are required to buy new RV ever 10 years, mine was 5 at the time. Not the kind of place I want to stay.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into a similar situation this past October. I booked a week at a beach campground here in Southern, California for me and Maxine (my van) I pulled up to the entrance and was waved in with no problems. I drove to my camp area, backed in and set things up. After a great dinner, I got in Maxine and went to sleep. In the morning a guy riding a 3 wheel bike came by and told me I should not have been allowed in because I didn't have a "self-contained" vehicle. I told him that my van has a hook-up for electrical power and a porta-potty. I also could take a shower in it if I needed to. However, I asked him what the problem was if not even 30 seconds from me the campground had hot showers, bathroom and even a sink? Instead of answering me, he kept belaboring the point of my van not being "self-contained." I told him I wasn't leaving and if he had any further issues he could send me his supervisor, but until then I wasn't going anywhere.

The rest of the week was uneventful. I had a great time and because I was still close to home, I was able to have friends come and visit in the evenings. The guy who had hassled me earlier came by a couple of times to remind me of things I really didn't need to be reminded of. I've been camping all my life and I'm extremely cognizant of being a good environmental steward. I think he came by mainly to hassle me because he was sore about me camping there in my van.

When I got back home, I called the manager of the campground. He wasn't there. He called me back, but instead of leaving a call back number and a good time to reach him, he instead left me a long rambling message on my cell phone that was not decipherable and told me to call him back if I had any further questions. I did - twice - but never was able to connect with him. I think he was giving me the brush off.

I decided at that point to write a nice letter to the Director of Park and Recreation services for the State of California asking for clarification on this rule of the park (it's a state facility) I basically asked why would a state park not allow a van in to camp if the van obviously was converted for camping and why is it so important to be "self-contained?" if the campground offers all the amenities needed to facilitate a good camping experience, what's the point? I sent the letter with return receipt requested. Let's see what the outcome is.

I'm not anti-authority (well, just a little ( ; ) but I can't stand people/organizations who follow rules because the rule has always existed. Or they can't explain why the particular rule exists or how it makes the camping experience better or worst. Personally, I think it's the state's way of keeping "riff-raff" out of the campground. i.e. van dwellers, surfers, and bohemians/beatniks/hippies. It seems they prefer to have clientele that pull in with 40 foot motor homes; the more affluent in society. lol. Like the title of this thread suggests. Not Everyone Wants Us There.

I would rather live like a lion for a day, than live like a sheep for one hundred years.

I traveled with my uncle to AZ and stayed at a resort in Lake Havasua. It was advertised in RV book with club house, gym, pool and BBQ. Cable was to be included and wasnt. When we were staying there they tried to sell us a lot for 60k. I think we paid the regular rate for our stay, not freebie. We were approached by owners having happy hour near club house, advised us that we were not owners and not allowed to use the BBQ or any of the facilities, wow! I told them to take it up with the office when it opens. They had the same 10 year rule.

So I guess you buy a lot for 60k and are required to buy new RV ever 10 years, mine was 5 at the time. Not the kind of place I want to stay.

If this is the RV campground I think it is, then their "snooty" days may soon come to an end when a proposed drag strip is built near the campground.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Zulu... I think you guys have a great avatar. Sometimes, a picture is worth two thousand words.

We had a similar problem in Gulph Shores, AL. Except, it was our Redwood that the campground didn't want. Imagine that! My first time trying to get into a "MH Only" park.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed there a few years back and got a lot of crap from the owners, but managed to stay. We had to park the truck elsewhere, even though it would fit in front of our trailer. Before you start hollering about the truck being big, blocking the view, and not wanting to look out the side window to look at my truck, the truck is no higher, and much smaller than my trailer, and especially the Prevost with a 30 foot utility trailer that parked a few spaces over from us.

Be aware this is the same park where the owners argue with customers about revving the engine in their diesel pusher. These are the same owners who runs around on a golf cart yelling at people whose dog urinates on the grass. Yes, the park belongs to the owners, so it's their rules, but the owners are out of control.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that some RVers don't seem to think that an RV park owner should have the right to make and enforce operational rules with respect to the park which they own. The thread topic could be Not all RVers Want to stay in Parks with Rules They Disagree With! Read the rules before checking in & if you don't llike em, move on.

Ron

I think you need to re-read the original post. They let us in once on a prior visit with no word about any rule against our type of vehicle and we stayed for 3 days. On your point about posted rules, it is not in their rules section about not allowing HDT's, it is under their Features section that this rule is mentioned. I agree with you that if you don't like the rules don't go but when they are hidden in obscure locations and don't apply the rules consistently I have a problem.

1998 Volvo 610 Mid Roof w/trailersaver air

2002 36' KarryAll toyhauler

2013 3905 Voltage EPIC toyhauler

Archived