Dog traveling in a crate in a Fifth Wheel?

Velos

Pet loader and other ramp and steps are great except they have to basically extend at a right angle to the truck. This is a problem when youre at a rest or truck stop or parking lot and need to unload in a tight space.

It would be great if there was a product that could extend along the side of the truck so you can walk your dog down without running into vehicles next to you.

Good idea.

The pet loader will only go up 40 inches high...I would think 48 would be minimum if you had your rear seat folded down for the dogs beds..

JM.. I will be curious if the 8 foot works.. cannot buy anything over 6 foot w/o it being a special order..

Thanks

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

The pet loader will only go up 40 inches high...I would think 48 would be minimum if you had your rear seat folded down for the dogs beds..

JM.. I will be curious if the 8 foot works.. cannot buy anything over 6 foot w/o it being a special order..

Thanks

The first picture is the 6 and 8 foot side by side for comparison purposes but we will just use the 8 ft from now on and there is enough for us to step thru on the side. The 8 foot is a much slower incline than the 6 foot and both are in stock at Discount Ramps and not special orders unless you have restriction on delivery's to your location?. I think it took 5 business days to arrive at our RV site. They offer 10 or 15% discounts when ordering just look around the website for their promo codes. The rim is too thick to fit on the door threshold and close the door but the spacing for the trailer or the truck between the ramp and the first step in either is not to much for our dog to walk thru she doesn't need to jump.

The second picture is of the 8 foot going into the truck cab. It fits on the lip of the truck and is very study.

I wish we had started with the 8 ft but were concerned about the length. We have had the 6 ft since January and have had no issues with the length, I don't think there will be a problem with the 8 ft. as most sites we have been in have been generously wide. We bought the 8 ft for the truck but will use it for both truck and trailer and the 6ft will just be a back up. Neither is very heavy but are rated for dogs up to 250lbs. They are not approved for people to use. They both fold in 1/2 and have a strap and clasp that holds the two halves together and a carrying handle.

Hope this is helpful?

Dog%20Ramps%20Reduced_zpsdqt9lc1x.jpg

Dog%20Ramp%20Reduced_zpshkjy3jye.jpg

Thanks

You can add as many steps as you want to the pet loader. My dogs get into a Class 8 Kenworth with only 4 steps as I put it on the top step of the truck and they just go into the cab from there. I did have 5 steps but removed one once we figured out 4 would work just as well.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

You can add as many steps as you want to the pet loader. My dogs get into a Class 8 Kenworth with only 4 steps as I put it on the top step of the truck and they just go into the cab from there. I did have 5 steps but removed one once we figured out 4 would work just as well.

So we could get them to add steps ? The comment about parking in cramped quarters by another member is a concern.

I think the 8 foot will work and long as we have the room.

This discussion has been great..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Grassy,

They can either build them with the extra steps or you can call them and add a step later, it is not hard to do with simple hand tools. We had a ramp for a while but storage that was easily accessible on the road left me saying the heck with it and picking up the dogs to get them in and out of the truck. The ramp was also slick when wet even with the non skid as the dogs were going down the ramp. With the steps, they are stored in the passenger side compartment of the bed, are easy to setup and use, the dogs can get in and out of the truck easily and my back feels a lot better now that we don't have to pick up a 50 pound+ cattle dog.

We park in rest areas and truck stops all of the time and have never had an issue so far getting them in and out of the truck. They might have to go off the side of the steps at the bottom but the dogs are smart enough to figure out how to go up and down them. I don't put the steps all the way to the floorboard of the truck however, just to the top step. The dogs just think that last step is part of the stair.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I had a ramp. My lab/chow had hip issues and getting enough traction on the ramp was still an issue for him. I bought a pet loader (the steps) and he used to run up them to get into my Volvo HDT. Two years ago at the HDT rally I loaned the steps to Hogryder, so his lab could get into the trailer. Trash ( the dog) is getting old and was having issues getting up the little RV steps. He was using a ramp and still having issues. Jim wouldn't believe that the pet loader steps were so much better...until I tossed his ramp away and he saw Trash go up the pet loader. The steps are larger and let the dog walk up them easier than regular RV steps. He actually went online and ordered a set while we were at the rally and had them delivered to the campground.

As far as needing space to extend the steps, so what? I don't park my HDT up close in parking lots because it is so big anyway. I've never had an issue in a rest area or anywhere else for that matter. And it's certainly not an issue in the campground.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived